Windows 10: Compaq CQ5814 long delay to BIOS screen and fails to wake after Windows 10 upgrade

Discus and support Compaq CQ5814 long delay to BIOS screen and fails to wake after Windows 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; (originally posted at lab.remaker.com) Scenario: A Compaq CQ5814 (5800 Series) AMD CPU with the ArrowwoodD motherboard (AMD Hudson D1 Fusion Control... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by remaker, Nov 29, 2019.

1. remaker Win User

Compaq CQ5814 long delay to BIOS screen and fails to wake after Windows 10 upgrade

(originally posted at lab.remaker.com)

Scenario: A Compaq CQ5814 (5800 Series) AMD CPU with the ArrowwoodD motherboard (AMD Hudson D1 Fusion Control Host, AAHM1-B2) running Windows 10 has the following problems.

1. When powering on after shutdown, there is a long 90 second delay before showing the BIOS boot screen. Screen appears instantly when power supply is disconnected, reconnected and powering on.
    2. When resuming from suspend, the power button turns from yellow to blue, fans spin up, but video never turns on.

There was no problem in earlier versions of Windows 10: Version 1803 (April 2018 Update) seemed to be fine, but versions 1809 (October 2018 Update) and later have the problem, including the November 2019 release.

After trying refreshing, reinstalling, a new video card, erasing and resetting the UEFI partition and a number of fruitless repair attempts, I found that disabling the Realtek Network card driver fixed the problem. You can disable it in Device Manager to solve the issue, but in order to prevent it from being accidentally turned on, I also disabled it in the BIOS.

There is no updated driver from Microsoft or Realtek, nor is there a newer BIOS. I added an external USB Wi-Fi card for network connectivity, which solved both the boot delay and the failure to resume from suspend (failure to wake up from sleep).

Here are the Ethernet driver details, to help search engines find this note:

Realtek

4/9/2015

Microsoft Windows

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_2ABC103C&REV_05

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_2ABC103C

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&CC_020000

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&CC_0200

:)

remaker, Nov 29, 2019
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Nov 29, 2019
  3. aronchick Win User
    Stuck in Windows 10 Upgrade

My computer seems to be stuck in a Windows 10 failed upgrade loop. I was running fine on a beta version of Windows 10, and then I came downstairs one morning to see it repeatedly booting, attempting to repair, then rebooting. The steps I've taken to diagnose are:

• Attempting to boot off a USB drive (with all drives disabled in BIOS) - this fails at the point of the blue windows screen
    • Attempting to boot the machine itself and getting into "repair/safe mode" using F7
    • Looking at the BIOS for obvious failures (e.g. RAM that should be there is missing) - nothing obvious is wrong.

I am fairly certain the build version was 9926. For many months, the system would attempt to upgrade, and then say "it failed" for some reason and roll back.

Suggestions for next steps?

aronchick, Nov 29, 2019
  4. Mussels Win User

Compaq CQ5814 long delay to BIOS screen and fails to wake after Windows 10 upgrade

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Nov 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Compaq CQ5814 long delay to BIOS screen and fails to wake after Windows 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Compaq CQ5814 long

2. BSOD after waking from sleep or waking the screen after long periods of time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after waking from sleep or waking the screen after long periods of time: So as the title says whenever my laptop is in sleep or is on for long periods of time and the screen switches off, and i wake the laptop up it shows a BSOD. The error is DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and the stopcode is amdkmpfd.sys I had recently installed the adrenaline...
  3. BSOD after waking from sleep or waking the screen after long periods of time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD after waking from sleep or waking the screen after long periods of time: So as the title says whenever my laptop is in sleep or is on for long periods of time and the screen switches off, and i wake the laptop up it shows a BSOD. The error is DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and the stopcode is amdkmpfd.sys I had recently installed the adrenaline...
  4. BSOD after waking from sleep or waking the screen after long periods of time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 long delay on startup.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 long delay on startup.: When I am restarting my computer, it boots up very fast but on the login screen, after I type my pin, I am stuck in Welcome screen no cursor for many minutes. The computer eventually boots up... When I press shutdown and I turn my computer on, then before the login screen...
  6. Windows 10 long delay on startup.

Windows 10 long delay on startup.: When I am restarting my computer, it boots up very fast but on the login screen, after I type my pin, I am stuck in Welcome screen no cursor for many minutes. The computer eventually boots up... When I press shutdown and I turn my computer on, then before the login screen...
  7. Windows 10 lag / delay after wake up from screensaver, desktop rearranging redrawing long time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 lag / delay after wake up from screensaver, desktop rearranging redrawing long time: Hi, I have i7-4770 PC with 32 GB RAM and 1TB SSD disk. Additionally, there's mapped network drive from local NAS storage with some 12TB of space as G:\ drive, and PC also has 3 NIC adapters, being control Workstation with some Veeam backup server, IIS support web sites and...
  8. Upgrade to 18922 repeatedly fails after long installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to 18922 repeatedly fails after long installation: I'm stuck on 18908, which I need to upgrade as I've not gotten the GSOD on that build more than half a dozen times (lost count). But Windows Update continues to try to update to 18922, and each time it tries to download and install it ends and rolls back to 18908 with no...
  9. Windows 10 - Long delay at start up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - Long delay at start up: Since update Windows ver 1809 on 26/4/19. Reliability History informs 'Windows was not properly shutdown' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-long-delay-at-start-up/672c7a12-841b-48a9-8510-5bde5ca46072
  10. After a long run-time, PC wakes up with an error message in BIOS

After a long run-time, PC wakes up with an error message in BIOS: Lately, I have been leaving my desktop on to upload files through OneDrive. Windows is set to put my PC to sleep after 5 hours. The last 2 times I've left my PC on, I've come to it in the morning with an error message along the lines of "Please insert/select boot drive", as...