Windows 10: Compare a text file containing file names with files in a folder

Discus and support Compare a text file containing file names with files in a folder in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I have a text files containing a list of file names and I wish to compare that to a folder with files in it. The folder contains a rather large... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bowlsys, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Bowlsys Win User

Compare a text file containing file names with files in a folder

Hi,
    I have a text files containing a list of file names and I wish to compare that to a folder with files in it.
    The folder contains a rather large number of files and I want to see if files in that folder exist in the file with the list of file names.

Hope I have explained my problem clearly.

Would appreciate any help
    Thanks

:)

Bowlsys, Jan 28, 2019
  2. YIN
    Yin Win User

Looking for a program which grabs folders\files and converts it into text

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a program which lets you pick a folder and grabs all the files\folders names and puts it in a text file.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, sorry if it doesn't.

3. 95Viper Win User
  4. oily_17 Win User

Batch Files Knowledge Base

Don't use batch files very much but one I find useful is for creating a list of files in a directory.
    Just copy the text below into Notepad and save as Filelist.bat

dir /a /-p /o:gen >filelist.txt

When you run it from a folder it will create a Filelist.txt file,in the same folder, that lists all the files in that folder.Useful when you are too lazy to type all the files out yourself.

oily_17, Jan 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Compare a text file containing file names with files in a folder - Similar Threads - Compare text file

2. Files and folders with $ in the name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files and folders with $ in the name: My C: drive SSD was replaced by Dell. All of my applications and files were lost. I can reinstall all the applications, but the files I saved at S3 are funky to use. Many folders have "$" appended to the folder name. Then under the folder many files also have "$" appended to...
  3. Files and folders with $ in the name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files and folders with $ in the name: My C: drive SSD was replaced by Dell. All of my applications and files were lost. I can reinstall all the applications, but the files I saved at S3 are funky to use. Many folders have "$" appended to the folder name. Then under the folder many files also have "$" appended to...
  4. File folder name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File folder name: When I'm trying to type a name into a new file, it will stop me after so many characters. What is going on? How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-folder-name/87c6a0f0-b69b-4506-ac4f-3d340bdc3f21
  5. Folder containing files deleted

Folder containing files deleted: I was moving my desktop folder to another drive and a folder containing important files got deleted. I found the folder was in another folder called $recycle.bin but I do not know how to access it....
  6. Save As file name now opens a folder containing part of the file name instead of saving.

Save As file name now opens a folder containing part of the file name instead of saving.: Hello all, as of today I am now having a frustrating problem with Windows 10 when attempting to save a file with Save As. If the name I type for the file to be saved is the same as, or the same as part of a folders name, clicking save now opens that folder instead of saving...
  7. Copy folder or file names as a text file

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy folder or file names as a text file: Hi i have an extension called copy file names but doesn’t work very well, mucks up the order.... if i I use the windows option it works but I get more info than I need, I simply want the file name... are there switches Cher’s I can use to achieve this ..? thanks 135675
  8. Searching for files names containing symbols

in Cortana
    Searching for files names containing symbols: I have a folder containing files which I named with = in the name e.g. "Richmond Division====". They have anything from 1-6 ='s in the name. I want to be able to search for these files, say all the files with four ='s. When I try it comes up with no results. Is there a way...
  9. How to compare text files to create a new file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to compare text files to create a new file?: One notepad file was installed on multiple computers. When each computer was used the notepad file was updated. Text was added, removed, or modified over time to each of the files. The files are very different now for the same file name. What software is available that could...
  10. Putting folder names in a text file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Putting folder names in a text file: I have a folder with someh hundred subfolders. Is it possible to have these folder names in a text file? 104541