Windows 10: Compare and Find Missing Files

Discus and support Compare and Find Missing Files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Usually on upgrading my disks and cards for higher capacities 99% of the time I face an unrecoverable copy interruption the reasons may vary and 99% of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Compare and Find Missing Files

Usually on upgrading my disks and cards for higher capacities 99% of the time I face an unrecoverable copy interruption the reasons may vary and 99% of the time its windows idiocy .

The funny thing is the straight forward solution never works for me , I did test it over several machines and it did not work . which is re-copying then accept skipping of already copied files while ticking to do so for all upcoming request .

What happens is that the copy dialog roughly advance to 100% skipping the whole copy process , I think this is a glitch that date way back older than I can remember and yet nobody really bother investigating its reason .

So the official work around is to copy and accept replacing of already copied files no matter how time consuming that is and file fragmentation it may cause to new media .

It occurred to me i should find a folder compare utility that would allow me to compare across medias i am copying to be able to copy only remaining files thinking it would be an easy task .

Problem is I keep landing on comparing tools that insist of not doing just file names/existence compare but a bite to bite compare as well like Winmerge etc that would consume more time than recopying everything .

So my question is , is there something i am missing about windows file copying skipping what is found specially on large volume of files ? and if not , is there any known tool that can just do the simple task of comparing folders & their subs a file name only compare with the possibility of selecting and copying differences only ?

:)

nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 26, 2018
  2. mike s Win User

is there any software to comparing files???

It works, but I'm not sure it would be suitable for the task that the OP is facing; i.e. comparing "tens of thousands of files".

AFAIK it has significant limitations:
    • The exact folder locations of the files to be compared must be explicitly entered
    • It can only compare the contents of a maximum of two folders at a time.
    • The files to be compared must have the same exact name, otherwise misnamed duplicates can be missed.
    • There is no built-in function that automates (preferably by a GUI) a summary display of duplicate files and a means to deal with them (i.e. choose which duplicates to move, delete, etc).

Doublekiller, which I referred to above, is a simple, elegant GUI program which addresses every one of these deficiencies.

mike s, Nov 26, 2018
  3. Burning Files To cdr

I tried to drag a .txt file to the burn list, as suggested above, but it will not drop in. I get a message "+add to burn list" but I cannot get it to drop into the burn list. Is there another step I am missing?

CathleenBaker, Nov 26, 2018
  4. Compare and Find Missing Files

Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Nov 26, 2018
Thema:

Compare and Find Missing Files

1. Compare and Find Missing Files - Similar Threads - Compare Find Missing

2. Comparing two files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Comparing two files: I'm trying to currently compare two documents with about 2,000 lines on both. I need the second document to have the exact same number of lines as the master one, with the same names. Placement doesn't matter, just as long as the lines sre the same and are in both documents,...
  3. Comparing two files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Comparing two files: I'm trying to currently compare two documents with about 2,000 lines on both. I need the second document to have the exact same number of lines as the master one, with the same names. Placement doesn't matter, just as long as the lines sre the same and are in both documents,...
  4. where to find deleted file after using "compare both files"?not in thrash bin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    where to find deleted file after using "compare both files"?not in thrash bin: so i downloaded a pdf from chrome with the name PDF_trillingen it's one of my coursesthe problem is; is that i already had a pdf called PDF_trillingen in a folder in my downloads.I tried putting the freshly downloaded file in the same folder; and got the promt othat says you...
  5. where to find deleted file after using "compare both files"?not in thrash bin

where to find deleted file after using "compare both files"?not in thrash bin: so i downloaded a pdf from chrome with the name PDF_trillingen it's one of my coursesthe problem is; is that i already had a pdf called PDF_trillingen in a folder in my downloads.I tried putting the freshly downloaded file in the same folder; and got the promt othat says you...
  6. compare file directories - windif?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    compare file directories - windif?: I want to compare 2 file directories and trying windif only gives the choice of windif in the download and I don't see how to change. Help is not available it says when I click for....
  7. compare file directories - windif?

compare file directories - windif?: I want to compare 2 file directories and trying windif only gives the choice of windif in the download and I don't see how to change. Help is not available it says when I click for....
  8. "compare info for both files" option is missing in windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "compare info for both files" option is missing in windows: I checked the community and nobody seems to have an answer to this question - how do I get back the "compare info for both files" option? It is missing and should not be. I'm using Windows 11. Thanks....
  9. "compare info for both files" option is missing in windows

"compare info for both files" option is missing in windows: I checked the community and nobody seems to have an answer to this question - how do I get back the "compare info for both files" option? It is missing and should not be. I'm using Windows 11. Thanks....
  10. How to compare two files.

How to compare two files.: What is the best way to do a byte by bye comparison of two large files - Windows 10 64 bit. There is an FC command but when run in the Power Shell I think it wants to do a 'Format Custom'! 37671