Windows 10: Compare directories including files and sub-folders

Discus and support Compare directories including files and sub-folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good morning,I wanted to ask how it was possible to check if a folder and its contents are entirely identical. I have this dilemma because I had to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Immagine, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Immagine Win User

Compare directories including files and sub-folders

Good morning,I wanted to ask how it was possible to check if a folder and its contents are entirely identical. I have this dilemma because I had to transfer an archive of 500 GB from one location to another.Is there already something native to the Windows OS or not?

:)

Immagine, Jul 22, 2021
  2. Drone Win User

Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Jul 22, 2021
  3. Directory Size Utility

Thanks buddy! Yea, this section's not dead. Kreij and I have big plans for this section. I don't want to give nothing away, but we have some bigger projects down the road. *Toast :toast: I feel I'm pretty good at coding with different languages, but I'm well behind Kreij's level of experience with those other Languages. I've been working on those other languages, and soon I'll feel comfortable enough to start, and not feel like I'm holding the project back. *Toast :toast:

Now on to your suggestions.

• maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that? Yea, that's been bothering me and I like your suggestion "Add Folder". I'll change it on the next release.
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs) I could add this, but let me see if I understand what you're asking. By subfolders you mean add all the folders in the left panel to the right panel? Those folders are all the subfolders in the "Get folder".
    • maybe you also add export list to excel? I'll add this on the next release.
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too? I'll add this on the next release.
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories? I'll add this on the next release.
    These are all great suggestions! Thanks Drone! *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Jul 22, 2021
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Directory / Folder compare program

Hi there

Has anybody got a link to either a Windows or Linux Directory / Folder compare program ?

I just want a SIMPLE program that simply lists Files in A that don't exist in B and Files in B that don't exist in A. No Syncing etc etc required.

I don't want contents of files compared or any of the other stuff these sorts of programs seem to have -- just a Bog standard NAME comparison -- don't care about dates / file sizes etc etc --just a simple list of Files in A that aren't in B and files in B that aren't in A. Just a NAME compare -- nothing else.

Should be simple but all the one's I've looked for want to compare File contents too --if say you are running through a whole list of music mp3's or DVD iso's this will take a long time !!!! as a file contents compare would then have to read sector by sector !!!!.

A CLI would do if there isn't a GUI around.

Edit -- Found the answer --really neat one is kdiff3 in Linux (you need the KDE desktop though) - extremely quick amd flexible -- was already installed on my sytem/

Compare directories including files and sub-folders [​IMG]

I think there used to be a built in windows program windiff but I think that's gone now,

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 22, 2021
Thema:

1. Compare directories including files and sub-folders - Similar Threads - Compare directories including

2. Duplicate Files In Sub-folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate Files In Sub-folders: Hi Experts, I have a folder with many sub folders, in every sub folder there are many files .jpg , .PDF etc.. I need to duplicate these files in same sub folders on one click. may anybody help me to resolve this problem. I shell be thankful to you experts.Thanks Regard,Faisal...
  3. compare file directories - windif?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    compare file directories - windif?: I want to compare 2 file directories and trying windif only gives the choice of windif in the download and I don't see how to change. Help is not available it says when I click for....
  4. compare file directories - windif?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    compare file directories - windif?: I want to compare 2 file directories and trying windif only gives the choice of windif in the download and I don't see how to change. Help is not available it says when I click for....
  5. How to group file by type including files in folder and sub-folder together unfolder

How to group file by type including files in folder and sub-folder together unfolder: As my topic I can do it easy from my old labtop also windows 10 by right-click and choose <folder>command that is not <folder> in <sort by> or <group by>. It is a command to make all files in folders and sub-folders re-arrange grouped to file type folder e.g. word folder, pdf...
  6. How to group file by type including files in folder and sub-folder together unfolder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to group file by type including files in folder and sub-folder together unfolder: As my topic I can do it easy from my old labtop also windows 10 by right-click and choose <folder>command that is not <folder> in <sort by> or <group by>. It is a command to make all files in folders and sub-folders re-arrange grouped to file type folder e.g. word folder, pdf...
  7. How to group file by type including files in folder and sub-folder together unfolder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How to compare directories ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to compare directories ?: Good morning all I would like to compare two directories to see what files are in one directory but not in the other. Is this possible in Win10 ? In case I need third party software I would like to know what is your favorite tool to do this job. Thanks Lee 178733
  9. I need to copy all files in a directory including sub-folders except one file

I need to copy all files in a directory including sub-folders except one file: I am trying to copy all files in a directory including sub-folders to a different to a different disk except one file. The reason I need to omit one file is because when I try top copy with:- robocopy source destination /MIR it fails on one particular file....its says...
  10. Directory / Folder compare program

in Windows 10 Support
    Directory / Folder compare program: Hi there Has anybody got a link to either a Windows or Linux Directory / Folder compare program ? I just want a SIMPLE program that simply lists Files in A that don't exist in B and Files in B that don't exist in A. No Syncing etc etc required. I don't want contents...