Windows 10: Compare security level between Secure Boot and Secured-Core PC

Discus and support Compare security level between Secure Boot and Secured-Core PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Secure Boot ( UEFI protocol ) can detect irregularities and notify users from firmware attacks? Secured-Core PC ( integrated hardware and software )... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mr.TZ, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Mr.TZ Win User

Compare security level between Secure Boot and Secured-Core PC

Secure Boot ( UEFI protocol ) can detect irregularities and notify users from firmware attacks?

Secured-Core PC ( integrated hardware and software ) can detect irregularities, notify users and protect the device from firmware attacks?

How to know that the device has notinvasion when installing a new OEM factory mainboard replacement parts?

:)

Mr.TZ, Nov 5, 2019

2. Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

So Linux is switching to secure boot also? Or they have to because of UEFI?

Damn_Smooth, Nov 5, 2019
  3. qubit Win User
    Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

We have brought you the potential perils of the upcoming UEFI Forum-implemented - www.uefi.org - Windows 8 secure boot feature here, here and here. However, it appears that it may not be so 'secure' after all, since there appears to be a surefire way to circumvent it, at least for the moment, while it's in development.

Softpedia has scored an exclusive interview with security researcher Peter Kleissner, who has created various Windows (XP, Server 2003 etc) "bootkits", which allow OS infection at the highest privilege level, giving unrestricted access to the whole of the PC. His latest one, called Stoned Lite, shows how the Windows 8 secure boot process, still in development, can be subverted, as it stands. He is planning to release details of how the code works at the upcoming International Malware Conference (MalCon) - http://malcon.org - that will take place in India on November 25th. It appears that the real vulnerability exists in the legacy BIOS boot procedure, not in Microsoft's implementation of secure boot, as Kleissner said:
    And as Softpedia put it:
    Kleissner explained that the basic way Stoned Lite works is by using command line escalation:
    So, this problem is only present if someone has physical access to the computer and is able to boot off a CD or USB stick. Therefore, this security vulnerability will have no impact in many scenarios where the threat of this kind of attack is very low. Examples include the home environment (usually) and data centres with very good physical security and the other measures they have in place. The most likely place for problems could be in workplaces where someone boots a PC after hours and installs a keylogger or other malware on the system. A significant threat, to be sure. However, despite this vulnerability, secure boot still makes conventional malware attacks useless, such as drive-by downloads from malicious or hacked websites and opening attachments from spam emails, among the many infection vectors around.

Still, it makes Microsoft's bold claim in September, that:
    a little less reassuring, doesn't it?

Note that Kleissner will not be at MalCon in person, because he will be attending another conference held on the same day, the European Bitcoin Conference in Prague, where he will show "how to re-direct locally initiated BitCoin transactions, but also show how the BitCoin wallet can be secured better against theft." Therefore, someone else will go in his place to deliver the message, or he may pre-record it.

Finally, while this is a big step forward for PC security, like every other security improvement, there's always a hack to get around it with time somehow, somewhere, which can then be patched and hacked and patched... However, in this case, when the secure boot system goes live and a core vulnerability is found in the UEFI or some other low level component, patching won't be so simple, or maybe even impossible, due to its low level nature. So, once again the suspicion remains that this whole 'initiative' is a backdoor to locking out competing operating systems such as Linux and to DRM your whole PC to 'protect' the profits of big content, in a similar way they already do on games consoles.

There's a lot of big corporate interests riding on secure boot, so do not ever rule out the possibility that it will be subverted to further them.

qubit, Nov 5, 2019
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

• Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Oh and OSX
    Here is a statement from a Kernal Developer at Red Hat:

I'm not sure this exploits the legacy BIOS but rather it exploits the legacy boot method on MBR drives, injecting a signed key before the OS boots, which you are correct in that it has nothing to do with Windows 8. And the simplest fix would just be to require boot drives use GPT when Secure Boot is enabled in UEFI.

newtekie1, Nov 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Compare security level between Secure Boot and Secured-Core PC - Similar Threads - Compare security level

2. Secure Boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Secure Boot: I cannot get secure boot to enable. When it does, it goes back to Bios. NZXT Z490 Mother Board https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/secure-boot/1f611684-b0bb-49e3-839b-7305867e0d34
  3. Secure Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secure Boot: Secure boot is enabled but 11 does not see it on Asus B450 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/secure-boot/c776d74e-0eed-4da5-8750-7ae0c7fbad9e
  4. secure boot

secure boot: * * Duplicate of Secure Boot Problem My Pc Configuration-Ram 8GBRyzen3 3600G1TB HARD DRIVEASUS A320M-K MOTHERBOARDI Have Downloaded Windows 11 Files From Microsoft Official WebsiteI Have Turned My TPM 2.0 ONand secure boot also in bioswhen I am checking by enteringmsnfo32it...
  5. secure boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    secure boot: My Pc Configuration-Ram 8GBRyzen3 3600G1TB HARD DRIVEASUS A320M-K MOTHERBOARDI Have Downloaded Windows 11 Files From Microsoft Official WebsiteI Have Turned My TPM 2.0 ONand secure boot also in bioswhen I am checking by enteringmsnfo32it shows Secure Boot-UnsupportedBut IN...
  6. SECURE BOOT

SECURE BOOT: I HAVE ENABLED SECURE BOOT IN BIOS BUT IT IS SHOWING YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 11 BEACUSE SECURE BOOT IN NOT ENABLED https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/secure-boot/b86955aa-02e0-4139-88bb-71999c57dd8b
  7. Windows Security / Device security / Core isolation - Incompatible

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security / Device security / Core isolation - Incompatible: Sooo, I can't seem to turn on Windows 10 Pro 20H2 19042.1052 - Windows Security / Device security / Core isolation because my Intel graphics drivers on my Surface Pro 3 are not compatible. Windows Update is all up to date and there are no optional updates. Anyone using newer...
  8. Reason Core Security

Reason Core Security: Reason Core Security was installed on my laptop on February 25, 2020. How can I uninstall it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/reason-core-security/f3a7afd0-8aeb-461f-bfa2-8a7b80b513a7
  9. secure boot

secure boot: How do I turn off secure boot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/secure-boot/20f1624d-bc65-485c-a068-fb89bf4ef320"
  10. Security level adjustment

Security level adjustment: Ho do you alter the security level on Win 10 if you need too.? 16298