Windows 10: Compatibility issues with XP-era and earlier games

Discus and support Compatibility issues with XP-era and earlier games in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I replaced my son's museum-piece PC (running XP and purchased in 2007, and somehow no problems, ever, with it) this week with an all-in-one Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by asus2016, Dec 30, 2016.

1. asus2016 Win User

Compatibility issues with XP-era and earlier games

I replaced my son's museum-piece PC (running XP and purchased in 2007, and somehow no problems, ever, with it) this week with an all-in-one Windows 10 one. He went from having the worst/oldest computer in the house, to having the newest.

The only weak link is that he had some games that were sentimental favorites (think "Backyard Baseball"), that don't run or install now, including exposing the installer and the program exe files to compatibility mode.

On the "urgency continuum" this is low.

But on principle, I'd like to see if I can make these games work. Any suggestions?

I found an emulator (ScummVM), the workings of which are documented on pages like Backyard Baseball (CD Windows) Game < ScummVM Games | Emuparadise - can't tell if this solves my problem, but looking for perspective here, please.

:)

asus2016, Dec 30, 2016

2. Last Win 10 update, lot of old games stopped working

10/26/15

After the last Win 10 update, a lot of my old games stopped working. I get window not compatible or the mouse is not working right anymore. I'm about to go back to win 7 or XP. As Microsoft update Win 10 I'm have more and more problem getting games from
    the XP era to work. Star wars "empire at war" ; Stronghold 2 and the new Baldur Gate Enhanced have all stop working. I'm having issues with Divinity and with Axis and allies locking up.

Does Microsoft test these update before they put they out there?

DarinBaerwaldt, Dec 30, 2016
  3. umad41 Win User
    Age Of empires 2 Conquerors edition incompatible with Win10?

Hi there. I have recently updated to Windows 10 on my PC (Which is relatively young and still runs many modern and games of the era of AoE 2). I went to play my game (Which is the disk version from when it was a new game) and found it WILL not launch.
    It get's as far as the autorun and then the game will not play. I am hoping that there is an easy way to fix this. I have it trying to run in compatibility mode with Windows XP service pack 3.

umad41, Dec 30, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

There's usually 2 problems when going from WinXP or WinVista, sometimes Win7, to Win10. One is the version of Win10, whether 32-bit or 64-bit, WinXP Professional had either version but other versions were only 32-bit. The other issue involves hardware and software drivers for WinXP that usually don't work with Win10. Using a VM/Virtual Machine "may" work but again the hardware drivers for things like games may not be available. I have kept a "museum piece" WinXP only because the BIOS on the motherboard supports 2 floppy drives [newer ones support only 1 drive or none at all] and I have a 3.5" and 5.25" combination drive in it plus an Iomega 250MB Zip drive, useful when clients find old disks they either need the data from or just want to see what it is.

Berton, Dec 31, 2016
  5. You can try running the game using vmware. But it'll require a 64-bit version of windows. What's the specs of your son's PC?

RoasterMen, Dec 31, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    I have seen problems with DirectX and games with versions 7 and earlier. Problems with games for Dx9 can usually be overcome by attempting install of Dx9 distro which just ads few parts without ruining anything else. Never tried installing earlier versions. There was also a slew of 16bit games and that's impossible to run on 64bit windows of any kind.
    There were few games I still have and would like to play again but now they wouldn't play even in W7 any more. I had a pretty lousy computer at that time (XP) and would love to play them again on this HW but can't even get XP to run on it. No compatibility modes work either.

CountMike, Dec 31, 2016
  7. asus2016 Win User
    Not sure of every detail, but it's 64-bit, for sure.

asus2016, Dec 31, 2016
  8. SoFine409 Win User

If an older game used a SecureRom driver to implement digital rights management then it won't install properly since Win10 considers this a security risk and will not install it. You can see a list of the games that use SecureRom by Googling SecureRom.

SoFine409, Dec 31, 2016
  9. GTA IV still uses SecuROM and it worked fine on my desktop (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit)

RoasterMen, Dec 31, 2016
  10. SoFine409 Win User
    You probably play it through Steam, right? Steam manages DRM without SecureRom. I can tell you unequivocally that SecureRom.sys will not be installed by Win10.

SoFine409, Dec 31, 2016
  11. I'm using the retail version.

RoasterMen, Jan 1, 2017
  12. SoFine409 Win User
    How is that possible. I'm very curious. Are you using a "No CD" add on?

SoFine409, Jan 1, 2017
  13. Compatibility issues with XP-era and earlier games

I don't even know how it works but I'm not using any of those. Just to save me some headaches of scratched disk all I did is to create an image file of the play disc then just mount it. Nothing incriminatory.

RoasterMen, Jan 2, 2017
  14. SoFine409 Win User
    Thanks for the info. Glad you're able to play it without problems.

SoFine409, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Compatibility issues with XP-era and earlier games - Similar Threads - Compatibility issues era

2. Xbox Game Pass for PC - Compatibility Issue with Gaming Computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox Game Pass for PC - Compatibility Issue with Gaming Computers: Hey fellow Microsoft community members,I'm encountering a compatibility issue between Xbox Game Pass for PC and my gaming computer, and I'm seeking your assistance to resolve it. Here are the specifics: Problem: I recently subscribed to Xbox Game Pass for PC, hoping to enjoy...
  3. Xbox Game Pass for PC - Compatibility Issue with Gaming Computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Xbox Game Pass for PC - Compatibility Issue with Gaming Computers: Hey fellow Microsoft community members,I'm encountering a compatibility issue between Xbox Game Pass for PC and my gaming computer, and I'm seeking your assistance to resolve it. Here are the specifics: Problem: I recently subscribed to Xbox Game Pass for PC, hoping to enjoy...
  4. game compatibility

in Windows 10 Gaming
    game compatibility: Greetings, I would like to know whether the games "Sid Meier's Civilization IV" and "From Rick Goodman Empires L'Alba Del Mondo Moderno" are compatibe with Windows 10. Have a good day, Remo68...
  5. Murka Slots Era game not launching

Murka Slots Era game not launching: When I install this and run it it works fine BUT if I later want to carry on running it there is a screen with a percentage displayed as it loads. Normally the game appears at a low percentage. But now it stops at 47.06% which should be after the point at which the game...
  6. Game Compatibility

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Game Compatibility: Whenever i try to download a game from the microsoft store on my HP 255 G5 Notebook, ie. Asphalt 8, it says my device is not compatible. But it says that on just about every game. Am i missing an update or is my laptop just unable to handle a couple games?...
  7. game compatibility

in Windows 10 Gaming
    game compatibility: Trying to get the game Mah jongg magic windows 95 or 98 on a cd to play on windows 10. Any help would be appreciated as this is one of my favorites. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/game-compatibility/71832ecc-2b0b-4bde-80e3-23cb1a4f2581
  8. Slots Era

Slots Era: Slots Era will neither install or close to allow me to complete the jigsaw. I have uninstalled and reinstalled but no difference. This app has a problem. Can anyone help please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slots-era/d2fe788a-e5b5-4c82-9870-ee963018d9c1
  9. Game Compatibility Issue with Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Game Compatibility Issue with Windows 10: So, I've recently installed the game Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition on my PC with Windows 10 Pro. It is an older game from 2008 and each time I try to start a new game from the main menu, the game crashes to my desktop. I then followed the advice from the Windows 10...
  10. Game compatibility

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game compatibility: I'm having an issue with launching an old windows xp game on my windows 10. The game in question is Cossacks European Wars, I've tried the troubleshooter already to no avail. It is also already running as administrator. I'm using a MSI GE70 2PE laptop. I appreciate any...