Windows 10: Compatibility mode changes needs to be made every time before launching the game

Discus and support Compatibility mode changes needs to be made every time before launching the game in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I'm trying to get Don't Starve to work consistently without going through the whole shebang of going to steam, right click, properties, local files,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Kazoomie, Aug 14, 2019 at 8:07 AM.

1. Kazoomie Win User

Compatibility mode changes needs to be made every time before launching the game

I'm trying to get Don't Starve to work consistently without going through the whole shebang of going to steam, right click, properties, local files, browse, bin, find the application, right click, properties, compatibility, troubleshooter then finally test application in order to play it instead of steam, scroll, left click. This needs to be redone every single time. The weird part is that the compatibility mode box is checked with Windows 8 but it has to be done with the troubleshooter only. I have no idea what's going on and I can't really find anything else about this problem.

***Original title: Windows 10 compatibility mode not working for a Steam program.***

:)

2. Windows 10 Game Compatibility

Hello Debie,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

There are some programs that need new definitions compatible with Windows 10. Till the time they are unavailable you can install the programs compatible with previous versions of operating system in compatibility mode. If you can access the executable (.exe)
    file for the game, I would suggest you to follow the below provided steps:

Step 1: Download and save the game on the desktop.

Step 2: Install the game in compatibility mode.

• Right click on the .exe file, and click on Properties.
    • Go to the Compatibility tab.
    • Check the box for Run this program in compatibility mode for:
    • Select Windows 8 (or any other compatible OS) in the list of Operating systems.
    • Click OK.
    • Double-click the executable file to install the game and follow the onscreen instructions.
    • Reboot your computer.
    Additional information:

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Aug 14, 2019 at 8:09 AM
  3. Trying to play a VERY old game in "Compatibility Mode": Wrath of the Gods

Hello Bowyer,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forums. We are glad to help you.

Install app in Compatibility mode

I would suggest you to install the game in compatibility mode and check: Follow these steps:

• Download the game from the manufacturer’s website.

• Right-click on the game setup file and click on
      ‘properties’.

• Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
      ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 10 from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists

Hope it helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Aug 14, 2019 at 8:09 AM
  4. Rhen Pal Win User

Compatibility mode changes needs to be made every time before launching the game

launching the wild lands

Hi,

We suggest that you install the latest graphic driver in compatibility mode and see if it resolves the issue.

• Right click on the Setup file of the Driver
      and select Properties.
    • Select Compatibility Tab.
    • Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list.
    • Click OK and run the setup.
    Also, try launching the game in Compatibility Mode. Please follow the steps below for more information:

• Right click on the Setup file of the Driver
      and select Properties.
    • Select Compatibility Tab.
    • Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode.

Let us know if you need more help.

Thank you.

Thema:

1. Compatibility mode changes needs to be made every time before launching the game - Similar Threads - Compatibility mode changes

2. redownload the game every time i pause it

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    redownload the game every time i pause it: i have a problem when i downloaded 6 gigabyte of forza horizon 4 i pause the download and after like 10 minutes i resume the download and it delete the 6 gigabyte and start again from the beginning...
  3. Compatability Mode, why? it never every works.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Compatability Mode, why? it never every works.: Hi all, I'm assuming that this discussion has been had on many occasions. But I'm clearly too stupid to find the thread/discussion, maybe a link would help. Anyway, so here goes. What is the point of compatibility mode? Ever since I've used windows, I like everyone on the...
  4. game compatibility

in Windows 10 Gaming
    game compatibility: Trying to get the game Mah jongg magic windows 95 or 98 on a cd to play on windows 10. Any help would be appreciated as this is one of my favorites. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/game-compatibility/71832ecc-2b0b-4bde-80e3-23cb1a4f2581
  5. A game launches successfully in Safe Mode, but doesn't launch in Normal Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A game launches successfully in Safe Mode, but doesn't launch in Normal Mode: I have Rocket League installed on my Windows PC. Recently after some changes and/or updates in my system, I'm not able to launch the game. Once double-clicking the game icon, it shows Preparing to Launch and then closes (crashes?) and nothing else happens....
  6. Game compatibility

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game compatibility: I'm having an issue with launching an old windows xp game on my windows 10. The game in question is Cossacks European Wars, I've tried the troubleshooter already to no avail. It is also already running as administrator. I'm using a MSI GE70 2PE laptop. I appreciate any...
  7. Compatibility mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Compatibility mode: I keep getting a window popup saying this program started in compatibility mode ...where is it and how do I turn it off? 14680
  8. Compatibility mode

Compatibility mode: I'm doing some research on an old application that I'm taking care of. As of Windows 8, it works if the Windows compatibility mode is se to "Windows 7" and I confirmed it also works if I set the compatibility mode on Windows 10. That problem I'm facing is that, I need to...
  9. Compatibility mode

Compatibility mode: Hi I have had programs in the past that I love to either use or games to play even some older MS games and they refuse to load on new operating systems. Why is it when I try and run the program in Compatibility mode for say XP it refuses to run the program. I don't...
  10. Touch Screen need calibrate every time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touch Screen need calibrate every time: I use Chinese Tablet Telclast Air 3G come with Windows 8.1 with Bing upgraded to Windows 10 Home Now I have problem with touch screen which I need to re-calibrate every time I turn on after turn off and charging tablet. When I turn on tablet touch screen is mess and I need...