Windows 10: Compatible Windows 10 USB3 external CD / DVD drives?

Discus and support Compatible Windows 10 USB3 external CD / DVD drives? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I need to replace my Samsung external USB drive which has stopped working, and am having great difficulty finding a suitable replacement. I have had to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by clayto, Sep 1, 2017.

1. clayto Win User

Compatible Windows 10 USB3 external CD / DVD drives?

I need to replace my Samsung external USB drive which has stopped working, and am having great difficulty finding a suitable replacement. I have had to return 2, as they could not read any disks at all. I have a few requirements which limit the options, such as USB 3 (not 2) and reading / writing DVD RAM; but the main difficulty relates to Windows 10. In many cases the suppliers of promising machines warn of issues with Windows 10, although they list 10 as a compatible OS.

Does anyone have an idea what these issues are, might they have been corrected with updates (I have Creators upgrade). Or can anyone suggest appropriate drives? Apart from open ended searches I have mainly been looking in Amazon and Ebay. A g

:)

clayto, Sep 1, 2017
  2. JanL04 Win User

Windows 10 compatible external USB DVD\CD Drive

Does anybody know of a compatible Windows 10 USB DVD/CD Player. I have a HP X2 Netbook with a 1Tb hard drive and a USB3 port.. I want to import my Cd library into ITunes, so I can put my music onto my Ipod. Thanks

JanL04, Sep 1, 2017
  3. Bear-956 Win User
    External Drives 3.0

What external usb 3.0 Optical Blu-ray/dvd/CD burners are "windows 10" compatible? I've read a number of reports of compatibility issues.

Bear-956, Sep 1, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

I have a couple/three External USB drives [LG and HP] and find they work fine on both USB 2 and USB 3 ports, can even boot to them. The issue I see with the booting is the BIOS needs to be set to Legacy USB and the BIOS' I've worked with did not include support for USB 3, needs an OS running for that. A UEFI motherboard/BIOS may change that but I haven't had to deal with it yet.

Berton, Sep 1, 2017
  5. fireberd Win User
    I have a bank of 5 USB 2.0 connected CD/DVD burners that I use for Audio CD production in my recording studio. There is no problem with Win 10. The USB2.0 interface is a PCIe card as all I have on my new Desktop system is USB 3.0 ports. However I have connected one of the drives to a 3.0 port and it worked OK, no problems.

Knowing what error you get when you connect a device and what error the Device Manager shows would help us to try and help you.

I deal with Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com for most of my computer parts.

fireberd, Sep 1, 2017
  6. clayto Win User
    Thanks. I did follow the Newegg link but despite entering a variety of search terms found nothing relevant --- only USB 2 drives despite specifying USB 3, and plenty of USB 3 cables (but no drives to connect them too!). I think I have noticed in my other searching that USB is starting to be in decline, with products no longer available --- my failed Samsung USB 2 drive is now 'discontinued' for example.

I will keep looking.

clayto, Sep 3, 2017
  7. fireberd Win User
  8. clayto Win User

Thanks Burton -- your post did not appear for a while. Your comments are a bit beyond my level but have reminded me that there may well be a hardware inadequacy with my hybrid 2-1n-1 tablet PC . However, before looking for a USB 3 CD / DVD I did get a USB 3 Hub and a USB 3 Card Reader, both of which work fine. My PC is not a USB device as such, its ports are USB 2 --- except for one which is mini USB 3 with a 3.1 cable. It is for the power supply. But I have tried it with the Hub and Card Reader successfully. So maybe?

I may have to accept a USB 2 drive ---nothing wrong with that, but if there is a chance I can get the USB 3 speed on some things (CD/DVD especially) it seems worth trying, unless someone in the know tells me it is a blind ally.

clayto, Sep 3, 2017
  9. clayto Win User
    firebird --- slightly strange, I had been switched to the UK site so at first I thought maybe the range of drives was different to USA. But when I tried again on the UK site the DVD/CD drives appeared. There are a couple worth a further look. USB 3 and RAM compatibility are there. Victake appears as a significant USA supplier, but not in the UK, where I came across Victsing and Victech (but I don't need any more mice). Alas on the Newegg site some possibilities state (always at the very bottom) "there are compatibility problems with Windows 10". I am trying to find what the implications are.

Anyway, I have registered a new account with Newegg --- it seems well organized and may well have what I want.

clayto, Sep 3, 2017
  10. clayto Win User
    It looks like I might be making a choice between a single USB cable drive and a two cable drive. I am guessing that a small tablet PC like mine is likely to be short on power? Two cable drives mostly only take power from a second USB port (AC supply is rare.) Is taking power this way effective? What about using two ports on the same Hub (even if using a Hub is OK in the first place)? Not good? But what about a Hub which has the option of AC power, as mine has? As well as being better, might that even make the USB power cable to the drive less necessary?

I apologise for all these questions and understand if you cannot or don't want to answer. But for me it is a steep learning curve and I am trying to avoid too much trial and error, especially in the form of buying things that will not do the job.

clayto, Sep 4, 2017
  11. Berton Win User
    I have and use both types of cables, depends upon the power needs of the drive. I see the most common is using the Y-cable. They can be used with Self-Powered Hubs as there is sufficient power available, part of the reason of using that type Hub with my ODDs and 2.5" HDDs. The ports on Notebooks have limited power and the same issue applies to the portable HDDs. I also use a case to put my 2.5" HDDs in but they use the Y-cable while my WDC 750GB and 1TB Passport drives use only a single cable. Again, it is due to the power needs of the drive plus what the case/interface needs. I have formatted a 320GB as exFAT to use with my MacBook Pro and it needs the Y-cable for the case it is in, fortunately the MacBook has 2 USB ports. Using a case with the 3.5" HDDs from Desktops always has its own power supply as they need both 5V and 12V power.

A port-powered Hub doesn't usually provide sufficient power to ODDs and HDDs, fine for lesser needs such as mice, keyboard, Thumb drives, etc.

Berton, Sep 4, 2017
  12. clayto Win User
    Is a Y-cable better than two separate cables? Why? I have a couple, not appropriate for this purpose, so I have an idea what they are but have not used them.

clayto, Sep 4, 2017
  13. Berton Win User

A Y-cable is required since there is only 1 port on the drive and the second port on the computer provides additional power through the Y-cable which pretty much makes the cable specific to the job.

Berton, Sep 4, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why is USB 3.0 that important for connecting a DVD Drive? Even 24X DVD speed is only 32 MB/s whereas USB 2.0 is 60 MB/s. Seems like the limiting factor is going to be the DVD drive, not the USB port. Unless you really, really need to absolutely hit that 48X read speed.

NavyLCDR, Sep 4, 2017
  15. Berton Win User
    Agreed. I have found over the years that the higher/maximum record speeds are not nearly as reliable as the slower speeds, especially when sharing discs with others or unknown capability of their drives.

Berton, Sep 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Compatible Windows 10 USB3 external CD / DVD drives? - Similar Threads - Compatible USB3 external

2. External CD/DVD Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External CD/DVD Drive: Hi Microsoft : I recently purchased an external cd/dvd drive. The problem is with re-writeable CDs. FORMATTING and re-writing. The unit works with re-writeable DVDs FORMATTING and re-writing. When I checked in DEVICE MANAGER, it lists the drive with the HP brand. Listing it...
  3. External CD/DVD Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External CD/DVD Drive: Hi Microsoft : I recently purchased an external cd/dvd drive. The problem is with re-writeable CDs. FORMATTING and re-writing. The unit works with re-writeable DVDs FORMATTING and re-writing. When I checked in DEVICE MANAGER, it lists the drive with the HP brand. Listing it...
  4. External CD/DVD Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External CD/DVD drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External CD/DVD drive: My laptop doesn't have an internal dvd drive and i want to install windows 10 home from a DVD with a external dvd room... Usb 3.0 In boot menu it doesnt have power... When i start the laptop the dvd drive work and the led start blinking but when ASUS logo showed, the dvd...
  6. dell dw-316 external cd/dvd drive compatibility

dell dw-316 external cd/dvd drive compatibility: is dell dw-316 external cd/dvd drive compatible with s mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-dw-316-external-cddvd-drive-compatibility/1791bc8d-823c-4038-ac1b-2429715405d4
  7. CD/DVD external drive

CD/DVD external drive: When trying to eject a disc from a external driver. I get the following error message: An errer occurred while ejecting yje cd. What does this mean and how do i fix this problem?...
  8. External CD/DVD drives

External CD/DVD drives: After the last Windows update my Computer does not see the external drive. When I connect an external drive the is an indication by the computer that a device has been inserted, but when I go to This Computer it does not show a CD or DVD external drive. Worked well befor...
  9. External cd/dvd Drive

External cd/dvd Drive: 2.0 usb external hard drive not working with my 3.0 port laptop. My laptop is a new HP i7, 8gb, 1 tb. The laptop has a 3.0 port and the external drive is a 2.0 Verbatim slimline cd/dvd writer. Using the installation cd, components of the external drive were installed on my...
  10. Compatible external cd/dvd writer and player

Compatible external cd/dvd writer and player: Is there a compatible external cd/dvd writer/player that supports Windows 10? The only ones I see are supported up to Windows 8. 20991

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows10 compatible dvd external usb drive

2. windows 10 compatible external dvd drive