Windows 10: CompatTelRunner.exe - how do I tame it?

Discus and support CompatTelRunner.exe - how do I tame it? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; CompatTelRunner.exe always seems to start running at the least opportune times, and it's very annoying. It grinds my HDD for minutes on end, sometimes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rivre, Feb 28, 2018.

1. rivre Win User

CompatTelRunner.exe - how do I tame it?

CompatTelRunner.exe always seems to start running at the least opportune times, and it's very annoying. It grinds my HDD for minutes on end, sometimes interfering with tasks I'm working on, like ripping CDs for example, which I've been working on recently. Is there any way to tame this beast? I know it's Windows-related but is there any reason it has to run so often? What does it do and why does it run so often?

:)

rivre, Feb 28, 2018
  2. paanvimu Win User

CompatTelRunner.exe in Windows 10

I got to same problem. i have upgraded my Windows 8 to Windows 10 and the harddrive is fully claimed by "compattelrunner.exe".

In your post you are pointing to Windows 7 and Win 7RTM, but how do i get rid off compattelrunner in Windows 10.

After booting my laptop the compattelrunner.exe is claiming my harddisk for more then 20 minutes.

Is there a real solution to stop/disable compattelrunner in Windows 10?

thanks in advantage.

paanvimu, Feb 28, 2018
  3. Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Feb 28, 2018
  4. CompatTelRunner.exe - how do I tame it?

Execute batch scripts attached to my post to turn off Tailored experiences with diagnostic data and disable Customer Experience Improvement Program. Restart your computer to see if issue resolves.

FreeBooter, Feb 28, 2018
  5. rivre Win User
    Thanks - I'll give that a try.

rivre, Feb 28, 2018
  6. rivre Win User
    Well I ran the batch scripts, but compattelrunner still seems to run whenever it wants to, and it's very annoying, because everything else comes to a crawl when it runs. It ran for 10 minutes when I started up this morning. What is it, and is there really no way to tame it?

rivre, Mar 15, 2018
  7. Hi rivre!

CompatTelRunner.exe is actually a legitimate Microsoft tool that scans your disk regularly so as to diagnose your system and run compatibility checks. It gets your PC ready to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1.

On your keyboard, press Windows key and R at the same time, then type in taskschd.msc and hit Enter.

On the right side of the pane, expand: Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience.

Right click the task with the name Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser and choose Disable.

Restart your computer to check if the issue resolved.

FreeBooter, Mar 16, 2018
  8. rivre Win User

Huge thanks, FreeBooter. This is what I have been trying to find. I see no reason why that needs to run every few hours on my PC. I already have windows 10 installed, so why does it need to constantly prepare my PC for Windows 10? Whatever diagnosing and compatibility checks it's doing, it's just bringing my system down due to it running constantly.

rivre, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. CompatTelRunner.exe - how do I tame it? - Similar Threads - CompatTelRunner exe tame

2. .exe and .zip files corrupted. How do I fix it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .exe and .zip files corrupted. How do I fix it?: Just a question. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-and-zip-files-corrupted-how-do-i-fix-it/96d1a290-403e-46b6-a475-458ef4c4bab2
  3. CompatTelRunner issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CompatTelRunner issues: I've recently read on this forum that to fix the "This PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11" error even though PC Health Check says it supports it perfectly fine, CompatTelRunner.exe has to run. So I tried running it with a command, did...
  4. CompatTelRunner issues

CompatTelRunner issues: I've recently read on this forum that to fix the "This PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11" error even though PC Health Check says it supports it perfectly fine, CompatTelRunner.exe has to run. So I tried running it with a command, did...
  5. CompatTelRunner issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Firefox... taming the beast !

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox... taming the beast !: I admit it, I resist change, especially in Firefox. So here's my guide to taming the beast that is the new Firefox. First things first... stop Firefox from automatically updating. Simply unzip and drop this "distribution" folder into... C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox After...
  7. Compattelrunner- make it stop!

in Windows 10 Support
    Compattelrunner- make it stop!: Is there any way to dial down compattelrunner? It loves to run and run and run, chewing up my HDD when it's most inconvenient for me in the middle of other tasks. I get it's a part of Windows and tied to updates, but geez. Does it have to run so often? 127143
  8. How do i get music from a .exe?

How do i get music from a .exe?: music plays when I use an exe, but when I extract it the file for the music isn't there. How do I find it? If you are wondering the .exe file is BEN2.EXE if you would like to post a DL link so I could download the music, that would be amazing! *Smile Thanks for the help!...
  9. How do I locate the .exe for Win 10 apps?

How do I locate the .exe for Win 10 apps?: I have an application that allows editing with another app. The old way to find the executable is to right-click on the icon that opens the app, then properties. How do you find the exe in win 10?? 26278
  10. Nomadic desktop icons tamed at last.

in Windows 10 Support
    Nomadic desktop icons tamed at last.: At least for the moment ..... Subsequent to downloading version 1709 (OS Build 16299.19) the icons stay where I plant them. Whether or not this version is the Fall Creators one I don't know. Perhaps it is but they've dropped the fancy name. Whatever it is, it remains...