Windows 10: Completely random lag spikes that freezes whole of system

Discus and support Completely random lag spikes that freezes whole of system in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've had this problem for a long time and I could never bother to get around to fixing it. It only started to happen after I had Windows 10 on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RobinEast, Nov 22, 2019.

1. RobinEast Win User

Completely random lag spikes that freezes whole of system

I've had this problem for a long time and I could never bother to get around to fixing it.

It only started to happen after I had Windows 10 on my computer. Anything I'd do at any moment I will have lag spikes that occur on random intervals and for random lengths of time. It would put everything on hold not allowing me to do anything. This would happen while gaming, while writing an email, during startup, during idle, any situation you could imagine! I had enough of it a few months back and I looked for any possible causes.

What I have done (this isn't a full list so as people start mentioning solutions I might be adding more to it):

• Run malware scans
    • Updated drivers
    • De-fragmenting
    • Adjusted my virtual memory
    • Run (multiple) memory checks
    • Disk Check
    • SFC (system file checker)
    • Disabling C-state in BIOS

I've had multiple ones whilst typing out this thread, and it's driving me crazy that I can't find a single solution.

SPECS

i7 4790K

MSI Z87 XPOWER

24GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070

Windows 10 64bit running on latest update.

:)

RobinEast, Nov 22, 2019
  2. Jose Est Win User

Random lag spikes

Hi,

We would like to know more about your lag issue:

• What browser are you using when you experience a lag?
    • Does the lag occur in a particular game?

In the meantime, we suggest you run the System Maintenance troubleshooter. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on System Maintenance to run the troubleshooter.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Nov 22, 2019
  3. Jul_D Win User
    Random Mouse Lag Spikes - Windows 10

So recently I have upgraded to Windows 10 and I immediately noticed random/periodic lag spikes in my mouse, especially while playing games. Are there any fixes to this problem or is a fix going to be released in a near update?

Jul_D, Nov 22, 2019
  4. TIGR Win User

Random freezes or shut downs

Completely random freezing/shutdowns on a system with no recent hardware changes, and hard drive, memory, and PSU fine, usually means a software issue (file corruption or malicious software). I suggest following DavidV's recommendations.

Thema:

1. Completely random lag spikes that freezes whole of system - Similar Threads - Completely random lag

2. Windows 11 random lag spikes slowing down my whole computer randomly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 random lag spikes slowing down my whole computer randomly.: I keep getting random lag spikes, I've diagnosed a few problems and solved them, but I keep getting more problems regarding lag spikes, one was with the Widgets application, so I uninstalled that entirely, and one with Intel's telemetry, so I disabled that service, but I've...
  3. Windows 11 random lag spikes slowing down my whole computer randomly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 random lag spikes slowing down my whole computer randomly.: I keep getting random lag spikes, I've diagnosed a few problems and solved them, but I keep getting more problems regarding lag spikes, one was with the Widgets application, so I uninstalled that entirely, and one with Intel's telemetry, so I disabled that service, but I've...
  4. Random lag spikes affect everything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random lag spikes affect everything: for about 2 month now im having random lag spike it happens everywhere on my pc but mostly while gaming wich is very annoying i tried to see if it was my memory so i did a test nothing wrong there no virus too the temp usage and voltage are the same as before....
  5. Random lag spikes affect everything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random lag spikes affect everything: for about 2 month now im having random lag spike it happens everywhere on my pc but mostly while gaming wich is very annoying i tried to see if it was my memory so i did a test nothing wrong there no virus too the temp usage and voltage are the same as before....
  6. Random Lag Spikes in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random Lag Spikes in Windows 10: Hello Community, For quite a while now 5-6 months I've been having issues with my Windows 10 Laptop HP Pavilion with SSD. Ill be using it without issues when all of a sudden, it hits heavy lag for 1-2 seconds and then goes back to normal. This started when I bought a new...
  7. Whole System Is Freezing With No Errors

Whole System Is Freezing With No Errors: For the past 2 weeks now my system locks up and freezes after a random amount of time, usually while performing a demanding task like playing a game or running a virus scan. I don't get a BSoD or any error in the EventViewer and my displays just show whatever I was last...
  8. Windows random lag spike

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows random lag spike: So I can normally play Minecraft fine but now it is very laggy. When starting up anything on my computer usually now it takes a while. It says not responding then the not responding goes away and comes back but it eventually loads. Everything is much slower now. Does anyone...
  9. Lag Spikes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lag Spikes: So, I have had this computer for a month now and every game I have played I will get random lag spikes which in any game will often cause me to lose in the games I play. I play on a wireless internet and I can't have used ethernet and it has helped a bit but I cant always use...
  10. Complete freeze at random.

Complete freeze at random.: PC freezes up seemingly at random, can be playing a game, watching a movie or just sitting idle. If I leave it on and unattended I come back to find it in bios and after a reboot it works fine. With current version of windows it happens occasionally once a week roughly when...