Windows 10: Completely reset wsl, including network configuration

Discus and support Completely reset wsl, including network configuration in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi,I'm currently using an Insider build. 22458However, I had this problem a few times on other builds. and wsl worked beforeWhen I start wsl, I'm not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LightJack05, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Completely reset wsl, including network configuration

Hi,I'm currently using an Insider build. 22458However, I had this problem a few times on other builds. and wsl worked beforeWhen I start wsl, I'm not able to do a DNS request. Pinging an IP address directly works.I tracked this problem down to the file: /etc/resolv.confIt includes the DNS server address.The default is: 172.22.192.1However, this doesn't work.If I change it to 1.1.1.1 Cloud Flare DNS it works again.However, after every restart of wsl it changes it back to the default.There is a file called wsl.conf in which I can disable generating this file, but if always just deletes

:)

LightJack05, Sep 20, 2021
  2. RogerDV Win User

How to configure WSL Ubuntu (or any WSL distro) to use a NAT virtual network

I've installed WSL Ubuntu on my Windows 10 laptop and it is running fine.

However, it is not able to access anything on the Internet at port 80 and so forth. I cannot use apt package installer to install any software at all.

My host laptop Windows environment has no problem, of course, with Internet access.

Info I've gleaned is that WSL is being blocked by a firewall. Am using Kaspersky as mandated by internal corporate policy. I've added an exception rule for WSL but that has no positive effect on the problem. Additional info I've gleaned is that others have
    had same experience - unfortunately this doesn't allow programs running in WSL virtualization any access out to the public Internet.

The latest info I could find is that WSL just flat out won't work with several prominent Windows firewall apps unless they are disabled of even uninstalled (not a possible option for me).

So I followed these instructions and created a NAT virtual network:
    Set up a NAT network

Got that created with no problem and it shows up as eth3 interface on my laptop.

Remaining instructions at the above link talk about how to get Docker for Windows and other Hyper-V VMs to use this NAT. However, I can't find anything that instructs how to setup WSL to do so. WSL evidently can't be managed in same manner as other Hyper-V
    VMs.

Presumably the iptables or ip command to setup routing could be used to do this in the Ubuntu Linux environment, but that is where am appealing for help from anyone that knows how to do this in respect to WSL.

RogerDV, Sep 20, 2021
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    How to configure WSL Ubuntu (or any WSL distro) to use a NAT virtual network

Hi Roger,

We have a team dedicated to advance Windows 10 setups. Regarding your concern about settings up WSL Ubuntu or any WSL distro for virtual network, we recommend posting to
    Microsoft TechNet forums for Windows 10 virtualization, networking, etc.

Should you have more concerns, feel free to post.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Sep 20, 2021
  4. Kem Mon Win User

Completely reset wsl, including network configuration

Set Broadband Internet Connection Network Configuration

Hi,

Upon analyzing the details you have provided, kindly run the
    Network and Internet Troubleshooter
    and check if there's any changes. To run the
    troubleshooter,
    follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting.

• Choose
      Network and Internet.

• Run the following
      Troubleshooter:

• Internet Connections.

• Network Adapter.

• Incoming Connections.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you try to
    renew
    your
    IP address. To do this, follow these steps:

• Open
      Command Prompt
      as
      Administrator.

• Type the following command:

• Ipconfig/release
        and hit
        Enter.

• Ipconfig/renew
        and hit
        Enter.

• Exit.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Sep 20, 2021
Thema:

Completely reset wsl, including network configuration

1. Completely reset wsl, including network configuration - Similar Threads - Completely reset wsl

2. WSL Network Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSL Network Problem: Hi , we are producing an application to test our servers. Hping3 is an application that we are running, however we have a problem while processing this tool at WSL Windows subsystem for linux , there is no problem to see actual bandwidth which is produced by hping but this...
  3. WSL Network Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    WSL Network Problem: Hi , we are producing an application to test our servers. Hping3 is an application that we are running, however we have a problem while processing this tool at WSL Windows subsystem for linux , there is no problem to see actual bandwidth which is produced by hping but this...
  4. WSL Network Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. My network adapter configuration resets randomly...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My network adapter configuration resets randomly...: MediaTek Wi-Fi 6E MT7922 160MHz Wireless LAN CardMy network adapter configuration keeps resetting every time my PC reboots. It occasionally does so even when I haven't restarted by PC perhaps when it goes to sleep. It literally just does whatever it wants. I've set the band...
  6. My network adapter configuration resets randomly...

My network adapter configuration resets randomly...: MediaTek Wi-Fi 6E MT7922 160MHz Wireless LAN CardMy network adapter configuration keeps resetting every time my PC reboots. It occasionally does so even when I haven't restarted by PC perhaps when it goes to sleep. It literally just does whatever it wants. I've set the band...
  7. WSL Complete Deletation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL Complete Deletation: Hello There,Recently I deleted WSL Completely with its command in PowerShell 7.3 but its folder remains in windows whats should I do?Here is its remaining folder: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wsl-complete-deletation/88b28d67-8bee-4849-adab-0743fc177b02
  8. WSL Complete Deletation

WSL Complete Deletation: Hello There,Recently I deleted WSL Completely with its command in PowerShell 7.3 but its folder remains in windows whats should I do?Here is its remaining folder: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wsl-complete-deletation/88b28d67-8bee-4849-adab-0743fc177b02
  9. Boot configuration completely borked

Boot configuration completely borked: When I upgraded to Windows 11 it set up my old Win10 install on a separate drive as a boot option in the boot loader. I decided to finally get rid of that so I used Macrorit Partition Expert to merge the partitions on that drive, thinking that it would also handle any boot...
  10. NETWORK CONFIGURATION

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NETWORK CONFIGURATION: HOW DO I SET UP A PRINTER FOR NETWORKING IF THE PRINTER, AND BOTH COMPUTERS ARE CONNECTED TO THE ROUTER. THANKS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-configuration/128be2d0-8e0d-4c3b-8ab8-338bc96299d4

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reset all networking preferences on wsl2 ubuntu

2. reset wsl firewa