Windows 10: Completely uninstall provisioned apps: how-to and detailed explanation

Discus and support Completely uninstall provisioned apps: how-to and detailed explanation in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; *** SECTION ONE *** *** Introduction *** In this post I will explain how to completely remove a Metro-style app (or Modern app or Windows app) from a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mark0, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Mark0 Win User

Completely uninstall provisioned apps: how-to and detailed explanation

*** SECTION ONE ***
    *** Introduction ***

In this post I will explain how to completely remove a Metro-style app (or Modern app or Windows app) from a Windows 10 machine. All tests have been performed on 64-bit Windows Home build 10.0.19041.508 (semi-annual channel). I can't guarantee that Microsoft will not change things with the next feature updates.
    I will NOT talk about traditional desktop programs, NOR will I worry about removing a Metro-style app for a single user. These two tasks can be easily performed through the Windows GUI (Graphic User Interface) and they are widely documented on the web - see for instance Brink's tutorial "How to Uninstall Desktop Apps and Windows Apps in Windows 10":
    Uninstall Apps in Windows 10
    Option 6 and 7 in that tutorial are intended to completely uninstall specific apps from the computer, which is the topic I want to cover, but those commands are wrong and they don't actually do the job.
    Before getting started, make sure you understand the different apps included in Windows 10. Please, do follow the link and read the article carefully, especially if you're not familiar with the topic:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-in-windows-10
    Also, it is important to point out that different apps may require different uninstall procedures. Many apps can be completely removed simply through the Windows GUI, either from the Start menu or from the Settings app - these are the easy ones.
    System apps, on the other hand, cannot be removed at all as they are integral to the operative system. There are tutorials around the web showing how to delete them, but I would not advise trying to do so as forcefully deleting system apps is very likely to break things.
    In the following I will focus on provisioned apps, which somehow lie in between the two previously mentioned categories. If you're not sure about the meaning of "provisioned apps", the Microsoft link above will help. These apps CAN be completely removed, but the uninstall procedure is often tricky and it can only be completed through CLI (Command Line Interface). Just remember that there is one such app that shall not be removed because it can't be easily re-installed: that is of course the Microsost Store.

*** SECTION TWO ***
    *** Brink's suggestion ***

I will take, just as an example, Xbox Console Companion. Brink suggests to open Powershell with admin rights and issue the command:
    Code:
    These cmdlets actually uninstall Xbox Console Companion for the current user i.e. the admin account used to invoke Powershell. The app will remain installed for all the other users on the machine and the packages at %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps will stay in place. In my tests, more than 99.98% of the disk space originally used by the app is still occupied - this is because I never opened the app; if you ever used it you'd free more disk space.
    In order to understand why the command is wrong, we have to recall two concepts about Powershell.
    First: differently from the command prompt (cmd.exe), the typical output of a Powershell cmdlet is not simple text, but rather a fully featured object. If you are familiar with OOP (Object-Oriented Programming) you know what I mean. In case you are not, you can imagine an object as a structured variable that contains several fields. Each field has a name and stores a value. For example, the object MyIdentity could be:
    Name: Mark
    The Name field stores a string value, while the Age field stores an integer value. Get-AppxPackage returns an AppxPackage object. If you're wondering how it looks like, just type:
    Code:
    and hit return.
    Second: the second concept is piping. To make it short, it is possible to pass the output of a cmdlet as the input to a second cmdlet by using a pipe (|). For example:
    Code:
    The output of the last cmdlet in the chain (which will be an object) is converted to text and printed on the screen - unless it gets redirected, right, but I'm trying to keep it simple. Please note that you and only you are responbile for granting that the output object type and the following input object type are compatible with each other. If they are not, the execution will be aborted and you'll typically get an error on the screen.
    Back to our inital problem, now you see that the AppxPackage object(s) returned by Get-AppxPackage is(are) sent to Remove-AppxPackage. In case you really want to check what pops out on the right-hand side of the pipe, you can use the pretty redundant command:
    Code:
    No big surprise, the output printed on the screen is the same as using Get-AppxPackage alone.
    This is the crucial point: as you can check yourself using the command here above, the AppxPackage object passed down the pipe does NOT contain any reference to the -AllUsers parameter. Moreover, even if it did, Remove-AppxPackage does NOT accept pipeline input for its -AllUsers parameter. Therefore, Remove-AppxPackage gets executed with the default value for its -User parameter i.e. the user who invokes the cmdlet.
    Adding -AllUsers to Get-AppxPackage has no effect at all. Both with and without it, the app will be removed only from the admin account if that account has the app installed. Both with and without it, nothing will happen if the admin account doesn't have the app installed.

*** SECTION THREE ***
    *** Let's Remove-AppxPackage for -AllUsers ***

Now that we know why the first approach fails, we can attempt a second iteration with:
    Code:
    where I added two parameters to Remove-AppxPackage:
    -AllUsers: the first cmdlet needs it, in order to retrieve the app even if it is not installed to the admin account. The second cmdlet needs it, as previously demonstrated. Also very important, this parameter tells Remove-AppxPackage to work off the parent package type.
    -Confirm: because the object that goes down the pipe is not printed on the screen and I want to know what is going to be removed before it actually gets removed. In addition, unless I'm writing a script intended for background execution, I like to be prompted for confirm before any modification is made to the system.
    Surprisingly, the command works for a few seconds and then it fails. This time it exits with error code 0x80073D19. A quick look at the developer help page:
    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160
    reveals that this error code corresponds to:
    ERROR_DEPLOYMENT_BLOCKED_BY_USER_LOG_OFF --- 0x80073D19 --- An error occurred because a user was logged off.
    However, this description will turn out to be very misleading. The failure has nothing to do with a user logged off.
    In order to gain a better understanding of what is going on, I run the Event Viewer by typing eventvwr.msc in the run dialog box. In the left pane, I expand:
    Event Viewer (Local) -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> AppXDeployment-Server -> Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer/Operational
    and I review the latest log entries. I see that everything goes well until an attempt is made to access a registry key, then error 0x80070002 is thrown. Since not even this error code is helpful, I switch back to Powershell and I point it to the problematic registry hive by typing:
    Code:
    which returns only one key with name:
    Microsoft.XboxApp_48.67.14001.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Got it. The problem is a registry key mismatch. Get-AppxPackage returns an AppxPackage object with a PackageFullName field containing the value:
    Microsoft.XboxApp_48.67.14001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    This is the package Remove-AppxPackage works on. Everything goes well while uninstalling the app from the user profiles, but when the cmdlet reaches the final steps of the process and queries the registry, it doesn't find a matching package name.

*** SECTION FOUR ***
    *** RTFM ***

So how come the registry key doesn't match? The key was created by Microsoft and they should know what they're doing. Of course they do. It was our mistake. As usual, when things go wrong it is a good idea to RTFM: Read The "Fine" Manual - or at least the one with "Fine" is the polite version of it.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pow...-ps#parameters
    The Remove-AppxPackage official help page states that, when calling the cmdlet with the -AllUsers switch parameter, it is important to check whether the app you want to remove is distributed as a bundle. If so, it is mandatory to feed the bundle package to the cmdlet. As you can check yourself, the app I'm trying to uninstall is a bundle indeed. Actually, the great part of the provisioned apps are installed as bundles.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pow...-ps#parameters
    Reading carefully the Get-AppxPackage help page brings us to the end of the story. Unless otherwise specified, Get-AppxPackage queries the local app repository for packages of type Main and Framawork only. Bundle and Resource packages are not retrieved by default. If you want the bundle package, you have to use the -PackageTypeFilter parameter and specify the bundle. The final and correct version is therefore:
    Code:
    Hit return and wait until the uninstall process completes. The app will be uninstalled from all user profiles on the machine and the app's main files will be removed. All the app remnants under %UserProfile% and %ProgramFiles% will be deleted. Also, the command will take care of deprovisioning the app from the online Windows image, so there is no need to call DISM cmdlets. If you really want to check, just run:
    Code:
    Nothing will be returned, which means the app has been deprovisioned. As an additional check, I had a look at the Event Viewer: only information-level entries are recorded, no errors or warnings. Also, the app's registration in the Windows registry is removed, and a new key is created to flag the app as deprovisioned. I repeated the process with a few more apps and eveything worked seamlessly so far.

*** SECTION FIVE ***
    *** Sum it up ***

That's it. If you want to completely uninstall and remove a provisioned app from a Windows 10 machine, follow these steps. Substitute "*appname*" with the name of your app, keeping the double quotes (") and the wildcards (*).
    STEP 1 - Open a Powershell prompt: Win + X -> Windows Powershell. At this point it is not important whether or not the shell is elevated. That's because we're going to access the HKLM registry Root Key with a read-only query. Run:
    Code:
    STEP 2 - If the key returned in step 1 contains either _x64__ or _x86__, the app you're about to remove is NOT installed as a bundle. From within an elevated Powershell window, run:
    Code:
    STEP 3 - If the key returned in step 1 contains _neutral_~_, the app you're about to remove IS installed as a bundle. From within an elevated Powershell window, run:
    Code:
    STEP 4 - If you feel the need to verify that everything went well, open the Event Viewer by typing eventvwr.msc in the run dialog box. In the left pane, expand:
    Event Viewer (Local) -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> AppXDeployment-Server -> Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer/Operational
    and check the last few entries. There should be no errors or warnings.
    STEP 5 - In case you find the procedure fails for some apps, please post back so that your feedback can help other users.

Cheers,
    Mark

:)

Mark0, Oct 1, 2020
  2. Mark Isi Win User

Unable to uninstall an app on Windows 10

Hello dayhiker4k,

First, I went ahead and moved this thread to the appropriate category, so no need to worry about that. Thanks for letting us know about this.

Regarding your concern, I have listed below the most basic steps on how to uninstall a program on Windows 10 via settings. Try it out and see if it helps:

• On the Start menu, select Settings.
    • Select Apps.
    • Select the program, and then select Uninstall. Some apps built into Windows can't be uninstalled.
    • Follow the instructions on the screen.

If the above step won't work, I suggest that you check with Webroot's support website for steps on how to completely uninstall their programs. Some anti-virus apps require certain permissions, or may have have different steps to perform in order to completely
    take it out of the system.

If you're still having trouble uninstalling the app, the last resort that I can share to you is to uninstall it using
    Command Prompt. Follow the steps provided by Ramesh.Kumar from
    this link and let us know the outcome.

We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Mark Isi, Oct 1, 2020
  3. Issues with using Add-AppxProvisionedPackage to provision UWP app

I am currently trying to manage installation a line of business UWP application on a series of client machines. I need to make sure that the application is installed for any user that signs into windows on a particular machine. To do this I am copying the APPX file of the UWP app to a provisioning directory, and using this command to provision the application:

Add-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online -PackagePath C:\myapp-provision -SkipLicense.

The application installs fine for users some/most of the time. However, I am running into a couple of issues fairly consistatnly.

1. Sometimes, after provisioning a new version of the application, when a new user signs into windows, they still see the previous version of the application installed.
    2. Sometimes, after provisioning the application for the first time, when a new user signs into windows and searches for the app in the start menu, they get no results.

Both of these issues can be resolved by going to Apps & Features, searching for the application in list, selecting Advanced Options on the app, and then selecting reset.

This is an ok fix for the short term, but long term, I cant rely on users to always be aware that they may need to reset the app before using it.

Is there a better way I can go about getting this application installed for all users? Are there additional steps I am missing?

Caleb Powell, Oct 1, 2020
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Completely uninstall provisioned apps: how-to and detailed explanation :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Oct 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Completely uninstall provisioned apps: how-to and detailed explanation - Similar Threads - Completely uninstall provisioned

2. How to Uninstall windows completely

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Uninstall windows completely: I'm trying to get rid of drivers and chipsets I installed on a from scratch build. Something went wrong and the drivers are corrupted and won't let me install a new set of drivers. its causing sound distortion via bluetooth and refusing to let me download things. I tried a...
  3. How to Uninstall windows completely

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Uninstall windows completely: I'm trying to get rid of drivers and chipsets I installed on a from scratch build. Something went wrong and the drivers are corrupted and won't let me install a new set of drivers. its causing sound distortion via bluetooth and refusing to let me download things. I tried a...
  4. updating provisioned apps with powershell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    updating provisioned apps with powershell: Hello I'm having issues with updating webp Image app with powershell. I have used powershell to remove the provisioned app but it seems to come back whenever a windows update comes around. I would prefer to get delete it forever. Unless there is a way to force the update with...
  5. How to uninstall/Remove completely Xbox app Gaming Services

How to uninstall/Remove completely Xbox app Gaming Services: Recently I installed the new Xbox app by windows which installed prerequisites some gaming services, I didn't like the app much so I uninstalled it, but the gaming services are still running in the background I tried all the ways to uninstall it but nothing worked it seems...
  6. How to Uninstall Completely softwares

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Uninstall Completely softwares: [ATTACH] I use Your Uninstaller software but I still find some folders of uninstalled softwares in AppData/Local. For example, Marmoset Toolbag3, Quixel. Can I delete these folders?...
  7. Complete Uninstall

Complete Uninstall: 3-31-2020 Thanks for any help. I have uninstalled Macrium Reflect in the normal way but it has left garbage on my computer. It seems that Microsoft has sown it into Windows 10. How can I completely get rid of it????????? 153328
  8. Unable to Remove/Uninstall an App completely

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Remove/Uninstall an App completely: Dear community, So I recently downloaded an app and unfortunately got bundled up with some junk virus software. I was trying to remove the software but somehow were not able to remove it completely. It kept showing up in my list of Apps & features, but the Modify and...
  9. AVG apps won't uninstall completely

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    AVG apps won't uninstall completely: I want to completely remove all AVG apps from my Surface Pro but they won't uninstall. * Original title: AVG https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_updating-windows_10/avg-apps-wont-uninstall-completely/7cdb8bff-154c-4303-a986-1ed15fe4b295
  10. how to completely uninstall a software

how to completely uninstall a software: I installed a software two days ago. Now I wish to uninstall it completely and want my PC to be in the state as it was before installing it. A simple uninstall may leave some of the backdoor components installed by this software. Unfortunately, Windows 10 has System Restore...