Windows 10: Complex(?) W10 licensing question - 2PCs, 2 licenses, need to transfer

Discus and support Complex(?) W10 licensing question - 2PCs, 2 licenses, need to transfer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello I'm aware that the W10 license is in some way tied to your hardware setup but I'd like to know if and how I can achieve the following. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by kornykova, Jan 9, 2019.

1. kornykova Win User

Complex(?) W10 licensing question - 2PCs, 2 licenses, need to transfer

Hello

I'm aware that the W10 license is in some way tied to your hardware setup but I'd like to know if and how I can achieve the following.

I've just bought a new PC from eBay which has a fresh W10 on a fast NMVE drive.

My old PC (which I'll be giving to the kids) has W10 on an SSD partition. It has all the programs I want set up nicely and I don't want to have to do all that again on my new PC.
    The kids don't need a particularly fast boot time so I want to take my old SSD out of my old PC and use it in my new PC but I want take the W10 image from the SSD and put it onto the NMVE drive (for a faster boot) and use the fresh W10 currently on the NMVE and move that to a 1TB HDD that I'll put in the kid's PC.
    Is this possible and, if so, what's the easiest way to achieve it?

I'm aware that there may be driver issues when trying to boot my SSD image from the NMVE drive but will Windows fix this automatically?

Just to be clear, here is the existing and proposed setup:

Now:
    Old PC - Win10 (& all my programs) on SSD
    New PC - Fresh Win10 install on NMVE

Proposed
    Old PC - Fresh W10 install on new 1TB HDD for the kids
    New PC - Win10 (& all my programs) on NMVE
    - SSD (no Win10) to be used as fastish Data drive

What would be the easiest way to achieve this, and would W10 activate properly on each PC after all the drive/OS swapping?!

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Regards

:)

kornykova, Jan 9, 2019
  2. SAM
    sam Win User

Transfer W10 Pro license and user data from HDD to SSD

Ive got a laptop running Windows 10 pro (originally shipped with W10 standard that i upgraded to Pro) that shipped with a 1TB HDD. I want to upgrade the HDD to a SSD.

Im familiar with doing this on OSX (Mac) using a programme called Carbon Copy Cloner, which creates a bootable clone of your drive. So you just run the clone process swap over the drives and your all done.

OSX's operating system is free and thus doesn't require a license. Where as W10 / W10 pro do require licenses so i presume the license transfer process is slightly more complex.

Ive been reading up online about how to do it, but allot of the articles seem to be pointing to 3rd party software, im not sure if its the correct software to use, or an affiliate marking ploy. Can someone point me in the right direction to port / transfer my data and license from the HDD to SSD ?

3. Windows 10 license transfer

Thanks Andre.

i bought the license. My laptop was originally loaded with win 7 and was upgraded free couple of months.

in this case, if i understand you correctly, i can transfer with below steps. Right.?

let me buy my new laptop and try below.

and to my question do you have an update.

does OS upgrades if my activation key is changed.

thanks

sai

SainandhanKandasamy, Jan 9, 2019
  4. Conor1974 Win User

License Transfer question

So I found this on the MS website.

Add Windows 8.1 Pro Pack or Windows 8.1 Media Center Pack to your edition of Windows 8.1

• Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)
    • Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
    • Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.1 and then do one of the following:
      • If you need to purchase a product key, tap or click I want to buy a product key online.
        Follow the steps to purchase and enter a product key.
      • If you already have a product key, tap or click I already have a product key.
    • Enter your product key and click Next.
    • Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.

Would this be the way to do it? And would it matter that this would be the US version and not UK?

Thanks
      Conor

Conor1974, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Complex(?) W10 licensing question - 2PCs, 2 licenses, need to transfer - Similar Threads - Complex W10 licensing

2. How to transfer W10 License to W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer W10 License to W11: I have 2 W10 originally W7 licenses. For a reason I'll explain further on, instead of upgrading W10 to W11, I decided to buy a new W11, install it on both computers and later perform how? the activation on the second computer by giving the old license. I hope it should work...
  3. W10 license transfer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W10 license transfer: I have a windows 10 pc and I have built a new PC without an os. I would like to ask if I should buy a new license for my new PC or can I have the one I'm using transfer to the new PC? Would transferring hard drive works?...
  4. W10 license transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 license transfer: I have a windows 10 pc and I have built a new PC without an os. I would like to ask if I should buy a new license for my new PC or can I have the one I'm using transfer to the new PC? Would transferring hard drive works?...
  5. W10 license transfer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Transfer license question

Transfer license question: I currently have a retail version of Windows 10 Pro. I have my digital license connected to my Microsoft account. If I want to transfer to a new PC, would I have to deactivate my product key on my old PC in order to use it on the new one?...
  7. Transferring W10 Pro license to me?

Transferring W10 Pro license to me?: Hello, My neighbor passed away recently. His family gave me his pc which is running Windows 10 Pro installed on a refurb pc. I own a pc with Win 10 Home OEM. Is there a way for me to transfer the product key & license to myself and upgrade my pc to W10 Pro? Thanks,...
  8. Complex(?) W10 licensing question - 2PCs, 2 licenses, need to transfer

in Windows 10 Support
    Complex(?) W10 licensing question - 2PCs, 2 licenses, need to transfer: Hello I'm aware that the W10 license is in some way tied to your hardware setup but I'd like to know if and how I can achieve the following. I've just bought a new PC from eBay which has a fresh W10 on a fast NMVE drive. My old PC (which I'll be giving to the kids) has W10...
  9. Question about transferring license

Question about transferring license: One of my PCs, which I built myself, originally ran Windows 7, which I later updated to Windows 10 while it was still available as a free download. This PC has now reaching end of life and I'm wondering if there will be any issues using the same product key on a new computer....
  10. License Transfer question

in Windows 10 Support
    License Transfer question: I have a new HP envy 17.3" laptop that came with W8.1. I have upgraded to W10. I also have an older laptop, Toshiba Satellite P755/P750 that previously had W7 but was upgraded with a retail version of W8 then updated to W8.1. This was the Pro edition. I upgraded to W10...