Windows 10: Compress new folder content in compressed folder

Discus and support Compress new folder content in compressed folder in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have several folders on my filesystem that I've set to compress everything inside including subfolders. When I set the folder to compress, everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by FlorisKleijne, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Compress new folder content in compressed folder

I have several folders on my filesystem that I've set to compress everything inside including subfolders. When I set the folder to compress, everything was compressed as expected.However, new content I add files and folders are not compressed, it seems. At least they are not shown with blue names, as the previously compressed content is. And when I go to the folder properties, I have no way to recompress the folder, other than to turn off compression and turn it on again.How do I maintain a compressed folder so that all content I add is compressed?

:)

FlorisKleijne, Dec 6, 2022

2. No option to compress folder

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience and we will surely help you to resolve the issue.

1. How exactly are you trying to compress the folder?

Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Locate the file or folder that you want to compress.

2. Right-click the file or folder, point to Send to, and then click Compressed (zipped) folder.

A new compressed folder is created in the same location. To rename it, right-click the folder, click Rename, and then type the new name.

If the issue persists then Perform
    System File Check (SFC), and then check if this fixes the issue.

Follow the steps:

SFC scan:

1. Press Windows logo + X.

2. Select command prompt admin.

3. Type ‘sfc /scannow’ (without quotes) and press enter.

4. Restart your computer.

Refer link: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files - Microsoft Support.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Suvarna Govinda, Dec 6, 2022
  3. FatRaff Win User
    Drag-and-Drop into a Windows Compressed Folder Doesn't Update Folder

I've ditched WinZip and am now using Win10 Compressed Folders. When I drag-and-drop files into a previously created compressed folder with the same-named files (earlier file versions obviously) the compressed folder does not update at all. The files in
    the compressed folder are not replaced. This applies to all file types, eg text files (.txt), MS Access files (.mdb), jaypeg files (.jpg) etc . I have checked the validity of the contents of the compressed folder (moved it off-site, rebooted PC, etc) but no
    joy - the files have not been updated. In addition, new files are not added, although curiously a pop-up progress meter is displayed suggesting large files are indeed being accessed and processed but then not written to the compressed folder.

I have checked many security settings, eg "Controlled Folder Access", etc.

I am running up-to-date versions of Win10 Pro and the problem is on both an 8 year-old desktop and a 3 year-old Surface.

My work-around is to created a new compressed folder with the new files, then delete the old folder and rename the new one to the old one - what a kludge!

Is this a continuation of the woes with Win10 compressed folder/files and will there be a fix soon? If not, I shall renew my WinZip subscription!

FatRaff, Dec 6, 2022
  4. VirtL Win User

Compress new folder content in compressed folder

A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?

Compressed folders are often shown in blue (for user convenience).

When Windows explorer copies files (and also sub-folders) from one compressed folder

to another compressed folder, does it decompress the file data (ON-THE-FLY), and

then re-compress it again towards the destination ?

OR, does it leave it compressed and copy the data AS-IS ?

The logic here is that if it is going from one compressed folder to another compressed folder,

then there is no need to decompress it "in the middle" of the process.

Just wondering. Compress new folder content in compressed folder :)

VirtL, Dec 6, 2022
Thema:

Compress new folder content in compressed folder

1. Compress new folder content in compressed folder - Similar Threads - Compress folder content

2. Compress new folder content in compressed folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Compress new folder content in compressed folder: I have several folders on my filesystem that I've set to compress everything inside including subfolders. When I set the folder to compress, everything was compressed as expected.However, new content I add files and folders are not compressed, it seems. At least they are not...
  3. Compress new folder content in compressed folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Compress new folder content in compressed folder: I have several folders on my filesystem that I've set to compress everything inside including subfolders. When I set the folder to compress, everything was compressed as expected.However, new content I add files and folders are not compressed, it seems. At least they are not...
  4. New folder it only ever appears as a compressed folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New folder it only ever appears as a compressed folder: Hello everybody! When trying to create a new folder it only ever appears as a compressed folder instead of a normal, basic folder. What doing to fix this anomaly? Thank's!...
  5. New folder it only ever appears as a compressed folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New folder it only ever appears as a compressed folder: Hello everybody! When trying to create a new folder it only ever appears as a compressed folder instead of a normal, basic folder. What doing to fix this anomaly? Thank's!...
  6. Unable to compress folder

Unable to compress folder: While compressing the file this pop up coming. But if I'M giving yes another pop up coming. Here is the snap 2..Its happening after windows 10 update. Please help me to resolved this issue. Its drastically hampering my work....
  7. New Folder now comes compressed.

New Folder now comes compressed.: With the latest update I noticed that the only new folder I can create is compressed. This is very irritating as I have to extract every time in order to create a normal folder. How can I change this setting. We should have the option either way....
  8. Compressed zipped Folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compressed zipped Folders: The popup shoes please insert the last Buddhist all the multi-volume set and click okay to continue I have tried looking online to find a solution for this problem but have not been able to I am using Microsoft Windows 10 home to pop up every time I open up Explorer this...
  9. compressed folders

compressed folders: I keep getting a message that pops up that says:Compressed(zipped)Folders Please insert the last disk of the Multi-Volume set and click OK to continue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-folders/f16c1d11-725e-4876-a8fc-1a6f2e9583c9"
  10. delete compressed folder

delete compressed folder: compressed folder/file taking up 6 gigabytes of storage. Need to recover the 6 gigs. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-compressed-folder/cf72617a-0945-4941-935b-14d217f0e981"