Windows 10: compressed file does not include the files I expected them to include [omg]

Discus and support compressed file does not include the files I expected them to include [omg] in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I had backed up as one of my files a compressed file that included a backup of an entire website as I had downloaded the file fromOneDrive, to keep a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Jon80, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Jon80 Win User

compressed file does not include the files I expected them to include [omg]

I had backed up as one of my files a compressed file that included a backup of an entire website as I had downloaded the file fromOneDrive, to keep a copy for future reference, as a digital customer yet I was not in a position to re-extract the encoded files directly from the operating system as the compressed file appeared to have only a comma delimited file which implies the download might have excluded encoded file in the transfer, possibly a scanning engine feature. It is the process by which synchronous transfer seems to somewhat make content disappear that baffles me a problem reported various times that might be even a defect in the implementation of protocols used.

Are these options configurable since I prefer to keep backups occasionally?

Other usability issues were highlighted as well.

:)

Jon80, Feb 27, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

So I used KGB Archiver to compress a 10gb file into a 40mb file...

Exactly. Most compression programs change a series of 1s and/or 0s to a couple of digits, and stores the total file in a table of contents/index. If you've got a file with TONS of repeating digits, sure, but pictures? No way to get that kind of compression in the real world.

from an article on "How To Geek"

First, we installed Bastion and compressed its folder — about 863 MB in size of music, graphics, executable files, and various different types of documents:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 745 MB (86.3% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 734 MB (85% of the original size)
    Next, we compressed Hotline Miami, which is 654 MB of data:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 316 MB (48.3% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 314 MB (48% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 307 MB (46.9% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 301 MB (46% of the original size)
    I would not expect a great deal of change from those numbers in November of 2014 to now, nor would I expect any real-world files to come any where NEAR the compression rate of .4%.

Ahhzz, Feb 27, 2020
  3. RejZoR Win User
    Compress files??

It all depends on the contents. Back in the early days of DVD games, they had plenty of space compared to CD's. So they left stuff uncompressed on the DVD itself. Compressing such ISO image would result in very high compression ratio. But these days, even DVD discs are becoming small and game companies are already using data compression to fit more data on the same DVD. And since you cannot compress already compressed data, you're seeing more and more of the 99% compresion ratio moments.

Good examples of such scenarios is when you want to compres uncompressed WAV file and a MP3 file. WAV is not compressed and you can decrease its size significantly. You might gain few kilobytes when trying to compress already compressed MP3. The same is with images. You can compress BMP images rather well but when compressing JPG images, you won't really gain anything as its already compressed.

There are few very specialized algorithms that may gain some more compression out of already compressed data, but the gains are usually very small and usually not worth the extra compression time needed to perform the compression itself. Plus you can only use them to compress very specific data files.

RejZoR, Feb 27, 2020
  4. compressed file does not include the files I expected them to include [omg]

Compress files??

using upx? to compress exe files
    but you need to make it executable zip first then do upx

micropage7, Feb 27, 2020
Thema:

compressed file does not include the files I expected them to include [omg]

1. compressed file does not include the files I expected them to include [omg] - Similar Threads - compressed file does

2. which files are included in personal files ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    which files are included in personal files ?: i am planning to reset my laptop but it says that "personal files will not be deleted" my doubt is does files stored in C: drive known as personal files and will it delete the extra apps which i have installed example like any games....
  3. which files are included in personal files ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    which files are included in personal files ?: i am planning to reset my laptop but it says that "personal files will not be deleted" my doubt is does files stored in C: drive known as personal files and will it delete the extra apps which i have installed example like any games....
  4. which files are included in personal files ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Linked files including Chrome

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linked files including Chrome: I have two files and Chrome that have become linked to Wordpad and their icons have changed to Wordpad. How can I unlink them and get back to the original files? Thank you....
  6. Linked files including Chrome

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Linked files including Chrome: I have two files and Chrome that have become linked to Wordpad and their icons have changed to Wordpad. How can I unlink them and get back to the original files? Thank you....
  7. Newly saved files not including file extention

Newly saved files not including file extention: Hello, When I download a new file the file is not downloading the file type as part of the new file name. For instance when I download my newest bank statement the is downloading as 'StatementDecember' rather than 'StatementDecember.pdf'. This is happening when...
  8. File History Setting Included Files and Folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File History Setting Included Files and Folders: It is fairly obvious how one can EXCLUDE Folders and Files from drive C: but: How can I set File History to INCLUDE Folders and Files from another drive built in to my PC e.g. Data (D:)?...
  9. Shortcut file referent does not include file extension

Shortcut file referent does not include file extension: What options or file extension settings and registry entries might result in shortcut files being produced without the file extension included in the shortcut reference? Is a direct edit of the shortcut manually to add the proper extension the only way to fix these...
  10. Include date in file created by batch file.

in Windows 10 Support
    Include date in file created by batch file.: How can I add to this batch command to include the date: xcopy C:\all\* Z:\Allbak\* /E /Y /C I'd like the resulting file to be named "Z:\Allbak171129" (yr mo day). The plan is to set up a task schedule to run the batch file every week. I want to keep several previous...