Windows 10: Compressed files and notepad

Discus and support Compressed files and notepad in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm attempted to download a file that was downloading as a notepad text. This file is supposed to be a compressed file with a program that runs after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlexBrisendine, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Compressed files and notepad

I'm attempted to download a file that was downloading as a notepad text. This file is supposed to be a compressed file with a program that runs after it's unzipped however I can't get the file to revert back to it's original state from the site.

:)

AlexBrisendine, Dec 27, 2018

2. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

As you may already know, if this feature is on, every new folder/file you add starts off automatically compressed. If you would like to turn it off for the whole drive, kindly follow these steps:

• Start File Explorer . In the left pane, right-click on the drive that you would not want to be compressed.
    • Click Properties.
    • Make sure that the Compress this drive to save disk space box is unchecked.
    • Click OK then Apply.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Darian Tab, Dec 27, 2018
  3. RejZoR Win User
    Compress files??

It all depends on the contents. Back in the early days of DVD games, they had plenty of space compared to CD's. So they left stuff uncompressed on the DVD itself. Compressing such ISO image would result in very high compression ratio. But these days, even DVD discs are becoming small and game companies are already using data compression to fit more data on the same DVD. And since you cannot compress already compressed data, you're seeing more and more of the 99% compresion ratio moments.

Good examples of such scenarios is when you want to compres uncompressed WAV file and a MP3 file. WAV is not compressed and you can decrease its size significantly. You might gain few kilobytes when trying to compress already compressed MP3. The same is with images. You can compress BMP images rather well but when compressing JPG images, you won't really gain anything as its already compressed.

There are few very specialized algorithms that may gain some more compression out of already compressed data, but the gains are usually very small and usually not worth the extra compression time needed to perform the compression itself. Plus you can only use them to compress very specific data files.

RejZoR, Dec 27, 2018
  4. Compressed files and notepad

Ascii file in Notepad

Hi GreenGreen2,

This statement of an issue is quite unclear and incomplete to be understood by our readers. It is too broad for us to distinguish the main reason why you are having challenges/concerns with
    Notepad. To have a better understanding of your concerns, we'd like to ask you some questions:

• What is this file? Is it a Notepad
      file with ASCII characters inside it? or is file with ASCII characters named on it?
    • What is the file extension of this file? Is this a .txt file or not?
    • Where is this file came from?
    • Can you give us a step by step walkthrough on what you’re doing?
    • Can you create a new user profile and test if the issue will still happen in the new user profile?
    • What were the recent changes made on your part before you experienced this issue?
    • Can we have a screenshot of this file? This is to give us at least an idea what type of file is this.

In addition, you can read our forum guidelines here:
    How to ask an effective question
    to help you phrase and compose your concerns in complete detail here in our community. In this way, the readers will get enough information that will lead them to provide you accurate resolutions instead of
    having assumptions and guessing.

To notify us and have us get back to you, simply reply to this post.

Johann Eva, Dec 27, 2018
Thema:

Compressed files and notepad

1. Compressed files and notepad - Similar Threads - Compressed files notepad

2. Compressing Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compressing Files: Is it safe to compress all the folders in c drive? Please answer !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressing-files/1d9bcd44-7272-4ed6-a598-3724a298ba3d
  3. Cant compress files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant compress files?: So I'm trying to compress files for a personal project but when i click "send to" the only option is "Bluetooth" device. How do i fix this? submitted by /u/D0bious [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jm3qax/cant_compress_files/
  4. Compressed file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Compressed file: I have a photo file that is compressed. I don't know how that happened, but how do I remove it from being compressed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-file/834893b5-4de1-415a-8560-319b6f411950
  5. File Compression . . .

File Compression . . .: My computer, is a "Dell" laptop. Running, Windows 10 pro. I want to compress all my files. Like "Documents". WinZip was the first one, I found. But, WinZip, is not free. So, I typed in. Show me alternatives, to WinZip. I found, quite a few. But even, the alternatives. Have,...
  6. file compression

file compression: I have a 5.3mb pdf file that I need to compress to a 2.0mb. How do I do this? Thank you all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-compression/9213218a-4cba-414b-b613-048b16bd05d7
  7. compress large file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    compress large file: How to compress a large picture file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compress-large-file/3eb5d31e-31b5-44af-90d5-4acfdd810a3c
  8. Copying Compressed Files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Copying Compressed Files: Greetings, I already tried asking this in Microsoft Answers. I would like to use the compact command before copying files to an external drive. However, I've run into two problems: First, it seems that Windows automatically decompresses files before copying them, and tries...
  9. Compressed Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compressed Files: Hello, I was wondering if there was any way to automatically compress all files on my pc without having to go and manually compress all of them. Please and thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-files/61cf235d-6333-4696-b2be-666b891dedbb
  10. Automatic file compression

Automatic file compression: Today my laptop seems to have automatically compressed all the files and folders on my desktop. I've been able to decompress them with no problems but now every time I save a new file, windows compresses it. Does anyone know how to turn this automatic compression off? I have...