Windows 10: Compressed Files

Discus and support Compressed Files in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I was wondering if there was any way to automatically compress all files on my pc without having to go and manually compress all of them. Please... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Cookinn Rico, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Compressed Files

Hello, I was wondering if there was any way to automatically compress all files on my pc without having to go and manually compress all of them. Please and thank you.

:)

Cookinn Rico, Oct 19, 2019

2. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

As you may already know, if this feature is on, every new folder/file you add starts off automatically compressed. If you would like to turn it off for the whole drive, kindly follow these steps:

• Start File Explorer . In the left pane, right-click on the drive that you would not want to be compressed.
    • Click Properties.
    • Make sure that the Compress this drive to save disk space box is unchecked.
    • Click OK then Apply.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Darian Tab, Oct 19, 2019
  3. RejZoR Win User
    Compress files??

It all depends on the contents. Back in the early days of DVD games, they had plenty of space compared to CD's. So they left stuff uncompressed on the DVD itself. Compressing such ISO image would result in very high compression ratio. But these days, even DVD discs are becoming small and game companies are already using data compression to fit more data on the same DVD. And since you cannot compress already compressed data, you're seeing more and more of the 99% compresion ratio moments.

Good examples of such scenarios is when you want to compres uncompressed WAV file and a MP3 file. WAV is not compressed and you can decrease its size significantly. You might gain few kilobytes when trying to compress already compressed MP3. The same is with images. You can compress BMP images rather well but when compressing JPG images, you won't really gain anything as its already compressed.

There are few very specialized algorithms that may gain some more compression out of already compressed data, but the gains are usually very small and usually not worth the extra compression time needed to perform the compression itself. Plus you can only use them to compress very specific data files.

RejZoR, Oct 19, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Compressed Files

So I used KGB Archiver to compress a 10gb file into a 40mb file...

Exactly. Most compression programs change a series of 1s and/or 0s to a couple of digits, and stores the total file in a table of contents/index. If you've got a file with TONS of repeating digits, sure, but pictures? No way to get that kind of compression in the real world.

from an article on "How To Geek"

First, we installed Bastion and compressed its folder — about 863 MB in size of music, graphics, executable files, and various different types of documents:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 745 MB (86.3% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 734 MB (85% of the original size)
    Next, we compressed Hotline Miami, which is 654 MB of data:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 316 MB (48.3% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 314 MB (48% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 307 MB (46.9% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 301 MB (46% of the original size)
    I would not expect a great deal of change from those numbers in November of 2014 to now, nor would I expect any real-world files to come any where NEAR the compression rate of .4%.

Ahhzz, Oct 19, 2019
Thema:

Compressed Files

1. Compressed Files - Similar Threads - Compressed Files

2. Occasional bluescreen and bluescreens on 7-zip compressing very particular files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Occasional bluescreen and bluescreens on 7-zip compressing very particular files: Hi,I'm having occasional bluescreens for several months with different bluescreen codes like KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY, etc. This usually happens when I'm using CPU/GPU intensive programs like 3D games...
  3. Occasional bluescreen and bluescreens on 7-zip compressing very particular files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Occasional bluescreen and bluescreens on 7-zip compressing very particular files: Hi,I'm having occasional bluescreens for several months with different bluescreen codes like KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY, etc. This usually happens when I'm using CPU/GPU intensive programs like 3D games...
  4. Cant compress anything to a zip file, And windows just asks what app to open the selected file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant compress anything to a zip file, And windows just asks what app to open the selected file: hello, When I press the compress to zip option in the context menu, It just asks how to open the file. Ive done the standard sfc /scannow and the DISM commands, which didn't reveal errors, nor was the problem fixed. I'm also updated to the latest 23H2. Ive looked around and...
  5. Cant compress anything to a zip file, And windows just asks what app to open the selected file

Cant compress anything to a zip file, And windows just asks what app to open the selected file: hello, When I press the compress to zip option in the context menu, It just asks how to open the file. Ive done the standard sfc /scannow and the DISM commands, which didn't reveal errors, nor was the problem fixed. I'm also updated to the latest 23H2. Ive looked around and...
  6. Virus scan of a .7Z compressed and password protected file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virus scan of a .7Z compressed and password protected file.: After analyze with Windows security scan a password protected compressed .7Z file I didn't receive any virus report despite that after uncompres it, I obtained an .EXE file that Microsoft Security Anti Virus immediately reported as an executable with a very dangerous virus. I...
  7. Virus scan of a .7Z compressed and password protected file.

Virus scan of a .7Z compressed and password protected file.: After analyze with Windows security scan a password protected compressed .7Z file I didn't receive any virus report despite that after uncompres it, I obtained an .EXE file that Microsoft Security Anti Virus immediately reported as an executable with a very dangerous virus. I...
  8. Virus scan of a .7Z compressed and password protected file.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. Does File History process, compress, or otherwise distort backed up files?

Does File History process, compress, or otherwise distort backed up files?: I am considering using File History to backup some files and folders on my Win 10 computer. I have relentlessly, but unsuccessfully, searched for information on the operation of File History. Can I copy and paste individual files and folders that were backed up on an external...
  10. Does File History process, compress, or otherwise distort backed up files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does File History process, compress, or otherwise distort backed up files?: I am considering using File History to backup some files and folders on my Win 10 computer. I have relentlessly, but unsuccessfully, searched for information on the operation of File History. Can I copy and paste individual files and folders that were backed up on an external...