Windows 10: Compressed VHDX image won't mount, am I at any risk of data loss?

Discus and support Compressed VHDX image won't mount, am I at any risk of data loss? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a VHDX that is rather huge (a few hundred gigabytes) and it was compressed during a full disk compression, which made it unable to mount. I get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/robert4364, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Compressed VHDX image won't mount, am I at any risk of data loss?

I have a VHDX that is rather huge (a few hundred gigabytes) and it was compressed during a full disk compression, which made it unable to mount. I get the "Make Sure the File is an NTFS Volume and isn’t in a Compressed Folder or Volume" error when I try to mount it. All of its contents are compressed.

I set it to decompress in properties (which is taking quite a while). File Explorer doesn't seem to be taking up very much CPU power during this, which makes me worried that it isn't actually doing anything. The properties window is frozen on the "Apply" button, but still responds to being clicked. Am I at risk of any kind of data loss or corruption from this? Nothing I've read really points to this, but I want to double check.

submitted by /u/robert4364
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/robert4364, Oct 11, 2020
  2. SkyOwner1 Win User

Error in mounting VHDX file

Hi,

I have Created a VHDX file Ihave stored so many important files in it today when i try to open it is saying

Make sure the file is in an NTFS volume and isn't in a compressed folder or volume

Compressed VHDX image won't mount, am I at any risk of data loss? [​IMG]

i have seen in properties when i try to unchuck the compress file option

it is not applyingto the file

please help me my contact number: 9603855406

SkyOwner1, Oct 11, 2020
  3. djfoxi Win User
    N86 Why very strong Image Compression @ N86

I Think 8GB and the option of memorycards are enough space for a good Compression rate.

The performance of the 8MP Cam you can´t use if you compress the details of 8MP to death.

To realise a small picture size it´s cheaper then to mount generally a 2MP Cam instead of a 8MP cam and a hardcore compression with much losses for the picture quality. The results are the same.(8MP Hardcore Compression vs. 2MP low compression)

With my canon A720 and 8MP and a 2GB Storace Card i can save more then 500 pictures.

Why can´t the user decide with a setting in the camera software between high compression and low compression? Every low budget cam has this option...

djfoxi, Oct 11, 2020
  4. Compressed VHDX image won't mount, am I at any risk of data loss?

Trouble with search bar (won´t find data)

Hi Jan,

I Would suggest you follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Step 1: On the Search bar type “cmd”. Right Click on the Command Prompt option and select Run as Administrator. (If prompted for a password, type the password and click Allow)

Step 2: DISM TOOL

• Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
      and click Enter.
    • Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
      and click Enter.
    • Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and click Enter.
    For more information about DISM click on the link below:
    Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have further related issues.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Oct 11, 2020
Thema:

Compressed VHDX image won't mount, am I at any risk of data loss?

1. Compressed VHDX image won't mount, am I at any risk of data loss? - Similar Threads - Compressed VHDX image

2. Why saving to File System adds Data Loss Prevention risk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why saving to File System adds Data Loss Prevention risk?: How does saving to Network Drive Folder adds Data Loss Prevention risk? I am not sending a file out. I am trying to automate saving a Attachment When Email Arrive.My environment is Windows 10 Enterprise and Microsoft Outlook 365 Business....
  3. Why saving to File System adds Data Loss Prevention risk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why saving to File System adds Data Loss Prevention risk?: How does saving to Network Drive Folder adds Data Loss Prevention risk? I am not sending a file out. I am trying to automate saving a Attachment When Email Arrive.My environment is Windows 10 Enterprise and Microsoft Outlook 365 Business....
  4. Data Loss without any intervention

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data Loss without any intervention: Dear Team, I have HP Laptop EliteBook SN: 5CG94979Z8 , we found that the laptop performance is not fine, we updated Google Chrome and reset TCP IP Network Driver and restart the laptop. After restart we found that the data on D has been disappeared and partition D become...
  5. Data Loss without any intervention

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data Loss without any intervention: Dear Team, I have HP Laptop EliteBook SN: 5CG94979Z8 , we found that the laptop performance is not fine, we updated Google Chrome and reset TCP IP Network Driver and restart the laptop. After restart we found that the data on D has been disappeared and partition D become...
  6. Data Loss without any intervention

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. How to disable and reenable an HDD without risking data loss?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to disable and reenable an HDD without risking data loss?: I'm trying to troubleshoot some software I'm helping develop, and I fear the presence of my HDD may be contributing to the issue.I need to disable the hard drive and re-enable it after I'm done testing, but I don't know how to do this safely. All the solutions I found online...
  8. I cannot mount VHDX File

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I cannot mount VHDX File: I've created an image file with Windows Backup on an external drive. When I right-click on the file and try "Mount", I get "Couldn't mount file" and a long statement about initializing, partitions, etc.Using disk management does not help either. I'm able to attach the file,...
  9. Error in mounting VHDX file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error in mounting VHDX file: Hi, I have Created a VHDX file Ihave stored so many important files in it today when i try to open it is saying Make sure the file is in an NTFS volume and isn't in a compressed folder or volume [IMG] i have seen in properties when i try to unchuck the compress...
  10. VHDX Auto Mount at Startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    VHDX Auto Mount at Startup: [ATTACH] I'm having trouble getting a VHDX to auto mount at startup. I'm using the guide found here, but it's not working. When I paste the same PoweShell command in an elevated PowerShell window, the VHDX mounts correctly. Here's the error I'm getting in Task Scheduler....