Windows 10: Compressing USB 3.0 external hard drive taking forever on high end PC

Discus and support Compressing USB 3.0 external hard drive taking forever on high end PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 1TB external USB 3.0 hard drive plugged into a USB 3.0 port that is about half full ≈500 GB full. I decided to compress the drive so I am able... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ornithophilia, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Compressing USB 3.0 external hard drive taking forever on high end PC

I have a 1TB external USB 3.0 hard drive plugged into a USB 3.0 port that is about half full ≈500 GB full. I decided to compress the drive so I am able to fit more on it since it is already half full. I decided to use my HP Envy 17 j177nr because it has an 8 core processor, 16 GB ram, and an Nvidia GeForce 840M so I figured that this computer could do the job much faster than my desktop that has only a duo core.

However, it has been more than 12 hours since I started and it is not even half way done! It says that there are still 14 hours to go!!! This PC is taking its sweet time compressing the drive.

My duo core desktop compressed nearly 2 TB of data on a USB 2.0 external hard drive in a USB 2.0 port in only a few hours. This laptop has four times as many cores and four times as much ram and is taking a significantly long amount of time to do much smaller job than the desktop did with the 2 TB drive last year! To add insult to injury, A clean install of Windows 10 was done on this laptop last Wednesday!

Does anybody know what the problem could be and how to speed this up?

If a low end desktop can compress 2 TB of data using USB 2.0 in only a few hours, there is NO REASON a PC with these specs should be taking more than 24 hours to compress 500 GB of data, 1/4 the amount of data that the low end PC did in only a few hours

:)

Ornithophilia, Jul 18, 2020
  2. Gtriever Win User

USB 3.0 External Hard Drives - Again!

When is Microsoft going to address the long ongoing issue with USB external hard drives not being recognized in Win 10? It's getting awfully darned tiresome having to go to Device Manager and scanning for hardware changes every time in order to get access
    to my drives. And YES, I've tried all the common steps (Update drivers, uninstall drivers, latest motherboard drivers, changing USB cables, etc.). And while we're at it, how about the related issue with USB 3.0 hard drives being incorrectly detected as UAS
    SCSI Mass Storage Devices?

Gtriever, Jul 18, 2020
  3. Static~Charge, Jul 18, 2020
  4. btarunr Win User

Compressing USB 3.0 external hard drive taking forever on high end PC

Axtremex Technology Unveils 1 TB External Solid State Drive with USB 3.0 Interface

Axtremex Technology is pleased to announce 1TB external solid state drive with USB 3.0 interface. The largest capacity external SSD with fast transfer speed is designed to meet the needs of high end data solutions such as video editing, photography and content designer.

SSD has no moving parts. It is lighter, durable, uses less power and is noiseless. It also offers high performance data transfer compared to hard disk drives. USB 3.0 delivers data transfer rates up to 10 times faster than USB 2.0. The 1TB USB 3.0 external SSD is backward compatible with USB 2.0 interface.

Compressing USB 3.0 external hard drive taking forever on high end PC 136a_thm.jpg

Key Features:-
    • 1 Terabyte capacity
    • USB 3.0 interface
    • Powered via USB 3.0 cable. No external power is required
    • Backward compatible to USB 2.0
    • Support Super speed 5Gbit/s , High speed 480Mbit/s and Full speed 12Mbit/s
    • Plug and Play
    • Performance: Read up to 240MB/s and Write up to 150MB/s
    • Product dimensions: 92 mm x 52 mm x 9 mm (L x W x H)
    • Product Weight: 45 grams
    The 1TB USB 3.0 external SSD will be sold through authorised distributors, resellers or agents.

btarunr, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

Compressing USB 3.0 external hard drive taking forever on high end PC

1. Compressing USB 3.0 external hard drive taking forever on high end PC - Similar Threads - Compressing USB external

2. USB thumb or portable drives take forever to load.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB thumb or portable drives take forever to load.: I just bought a Dell G15 laptop with windows 11 preinstalled. I have managed to get USB 8GB thumb drive to open up after a long time. On one occasion it took 13 minutes to open up. My other USB thumb drives 32/64/128/256 GB remain loading till I just close and remove the...
  3. USB thumb or portable drives take forever to load.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB thumb or portable drives take forever to load.: I just bought a Dell G15 laptop with windows 11 preinstalled. I have managed to get USB 8GB thumb drive to open up after a long time. On one occasion it took 13 minutes to open up. My other USB thumb drives 32/64/128/256 GB remain loading till I just close and remove the...
  4. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  5. External Drive taking forever to load. Help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Drive taking forever to load. Help!: Hello everyone, Hope you are well!My PC is not loading my external hard disk properly, it keeps getting stuck on loading the drive and everything related to the drive just keeps getting stuck. I can't open it, I can't disconnect from it, I can't check the properties in...
  6. External Drive taking forever to load. Help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Drive taking forever to load. Help!: Hello everyone, Hope you are well!My PC is not loading my external hard disk properly, it keeps getting stuck on loading the drive and everything related to the drive just keeps getting stuck. I can't open it, I can't disconnect from it, I can't check the properties in...
  7. External Drive taking forever to load. Help!

8. Hard disk drive taking forever to optimise

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard disk drive taking forever to optimise: I’m defragmenting the hard drive and at the last update of 3, the process reads ‘consolidating’. It’s taking up to 15 minutes to cover 1%, is this normal for it to take so long?? Just wondering so I know :) submitted by /u/michaelbosley_ [link] [comments]...
  9. external usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external usb hard drive: Can i install windows 10 on an external USB hard drive? If so, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-drive/9631ecc3-3373-4174-8b01-818623bd5c4f
  10. USB 3.0 external hard drive 3+ TB GPT NTFS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3.0 external hard drive 3+ TB GPT NTFS: I am aiming to get a USB 3.0 external hard drive of at least 3 TB to be formatted as a single user-data partition using the GPT organisation and NTFS, and to have it visible by Windows 10 and by Windows 7 (actually WS2008R2 SP1). Searching gives a number of views. One of...