Windows 10: Compression of OS experiment

Discus and support Compression of OS experiment in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; aspire one d150-1165 Intel Atom N270 / 1.6 Ghz / 533 MHz Mobile Intel 945GSE Express 2 gig ram / 200-pin DDR2 SDRAM Intel GMA 950 graphics bios Acer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by thomaseg1, Apr 29, 2019.

1. thomaseg1 Win User

Compression of OS experiment

aspire one d150-1165 Intel Atom N270 / 1.6 Ghz / 533 MHz
    Mobile Intel 945GSE Express
    2 gig ram / 200-pin DDR2 SDRAM
    Intel GMA 950 graphics
    bios Acer v1.05 2/20/2009
    wdc wd1200bevs-22ust0 120 gig HDD
    took 5 hours 4 minutes to compress the drive ratio 1:6 using the command line
    compact.exe /CompactOS:always
    savings about 12 gigs which surprised me, expected only about 6.
    disk reads and writes went down but so did cpu usage.
    Sytem reponsiveness was up. all in all this ole pc may have benefited abit from compression.

Compression of OS experiment [​IMG]

:)

thomaseg1, Apr 29, 2019

2. OS Drive Compression

Greetings, everyone.

I am using an Aspire ES1-132, with a storage of 28.0 Gigabytes, and I am running short on storage space, and I could not relieve space from the laptop.

I was told that I could compress my OS drive.

I need to know if compressing my OS drive is a good idea.

-Thank You in advance

milesroudette, Apr 29, 2019
  3. Steve C Win User
    Compress OS

You see the option to compress the OS files when you run Disk Cleanup in user or admin mode.

Steve C, Apr 29, 2019
  4. Compression of OS experiment

Remove "Compress OS Drive" and "Downloaded files" from Disk Cleanup

Is this the right place for suggestions? Recently, Microsoft added two really not-well-thought-out features to Disk Cleanup which is Compress OS Drive and Downloaded files. I shouldn't have to explain why these are both bad ideas. Compress OS drive saves
    little space and causes massive performance issues and program instability and deleting files in the user profile folder is just a no-no. Please remove these.

Richardchase3, Apr 29, 2019
Thema:

Compression of OS experiment

1. Compression of OS experiment - Similar Threads - Compression experiment

2. What is a good video compressing software for Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is a good video compressing software for Windows 10?: I need to compress very large size videos to put onto websites like Facebook etc any good video compressing software suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-a-good-video-compressing-software-for/17cebc59-a0c2-49de-9922-cd09c7ed89c2"
  3. Compressed zipped folder not created for folders with many files and at least three...

Compressed zipped folder not created for folders with many files and at least three...: When I attempt to send a folder that has many files and at least three sub-folder levels by right clicking the folder, hovering to 'Send to' and then clicking the 'compressed (zipped) folder', nothing happens. But when I perform the same procedure of sending a folder to...
  4. Windows Compressing Files

Windows Compressing Files: Whenever I download a file windows is automatically compressing it. I can't seem to find any settings to turn this off. I have plenty of room on my hard drive. Anyone know what's going on?...
  5. Files in C: drive automatically compressing? Issue back again?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Files in C: drive automatically compressing? Issue back again?: Okay, I am getting really pissed. This morning I opened my pc to find out Windows 10 decided to compress all my files on my pc. I never asked for this and I have never been asked. Why? Where is the logic behind it and where am I as a customer I am getting tired of all...
  6. compressed folders

compressed folders: I keep getting a message that pops up that says:Compressed(zipped)Folders Please insert the last disk of the Multi-Volume set and click OK to continue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-folders/f16c1d11-725e-4876-a8fc-1a6f2e9583c9"
  7. Unable to decompress the drive and to stop compressing new stuff

Unable to decompress the drive and to stop compressing new stuff: Hello, I have accidentally checked the box for drive compression in the disk cleanup tool. I tried to go on drive, properties and uncheck the compression box, but many files are still compressed because they were opened during the process (system files) and when I install...
  8. Windows 10 drive compression

Windows 10 drive compression: Hello, I have accidentally checked the box for drive compression in the disk cleanup tool. I tried to go on drive, properties and uncheck the compression box, but many files are still compressed because they were opened during the process (system files) and when I install...
  9. Auto compression win10 broke my photos and videos HELP

Auto compression win10 broke my photos and videos HELP: Hello everyone I got a problem. My windows 10 started compressing files automatically. And after compression files size show insane and it's impossible to open or decompress. I tried some programs as Recuva for fix it but it does not help. HEEELP...
  10. Can't enter BIOS after drive compression

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't enter BIOS after drive compression: So I decided to compress everything on my main drive which was a horrible idea. [ATTACH] Now I can't enter my BIOS anymore. I tried: Pressing keys on startup Running shutdown /s /fw in cmd but I get this error Boot to firmware UI is not supported by this system's...