Windows 10: Computer acts as if the CTRL key is pressed down when it is not

Discus and support Computer acts as if the CTRL key is pressed down when it is not in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey guys, I've been experiencing an issue with my pc Windows 10 recently where my computer acts as if the CTRL key is pressed down when in fact it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DylanMika, Jul 8, 2020.

1. DylanMika Win User

Computer acts as if the CTRL key is pressed down when it is not

Hey guys,

I've been experiencing an issue with my pc Windows 10 recently where my computer acts as if the CTRL key is pressed down when in fact it is not. For example, typing "w" in a web browser executes the CTRL + w command, and so forth. Viewing the onscreen keyboard confirms that the CTRL key is pressed down. Here are the things I have tried to fix this:

• press both CTRL keys for 15 seconds
    • turn off sticky keys, toggle keys, and filter keys
    • switch out my keyboard
    • plug my keyboard into a different usb port
    • uninstall and reinstall my keyboard drivers
    • hold CTRL + Shift for 15 seconds
    • reinstall windows
    • run system file checker

The problem seems to be completely random, but occurs mostly when I'm running a program other than a web browser, such as a game. Any help with fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

:)

DylanMika, Jul 8, 2020
  2. Unocal Win User

CTRL key acts as if it's stuck?

Hey!

I'm running Windows 10, and for a few weeks now, it has been acting as if the CTRL key is jammed. I replaced my keyboard with multiple others, and the problem persisted. I read a few forums, and one suggested to press both CTRL keys at the same time,
    which only worked once. Then, another said to open the virtual keyboard. This showed clearly that the keys were indeed held down, but I couldn't deactivate them from there, so it really didn't help. Are there any fixes to this?

Unocal, Jul 8, 2020
  3. Ernie San Win User
    Ctrl key automatically zoom in when pressed at times

Hello,

There are a lot of possible causes why you're having a missed function on your Ctrl key. This issue may be related to a system corruption or all of your drivers needs to be updated. For better assistance, we'd like to ask the following:

• When did you perfectly use the Ctrl key?
    • Did you make any changes to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • Are you using a PC or a laptop? Can you tell us the make and model of your device?

Meanwhile, we recommend updating all of the drivers installed on your computer. To do so, follow the steps on this
    link.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Ernie San, Jul 8, 2020
  4. Paul_Popa Win User

Left CTRL acts as CTRL+4

I have this problem where Left CTRL acts as CTRL+4 and Right CTRL acts as CTRL+3.

For example when I`m using my browser and I need to copy something, whenever I try to press CTRL+C, the tab gets switched to the forth one before the highlighted text got copied.

Sticky keys are not on, I tried to uninstall the drivers from keyboard and I even done a clean install of windows 10, but without success, the problem still persists

Paul_Popa, Jul 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Computer acts as if the CTRL key is pressed down when it is not - Similar Threads - Computer acts CTRL

2. My laptop acts as if the Ctrl key is always pressed down when I type, even on the touch...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop acts as if the Ctrl key is always pressed down when I type, even on the touch...: After I installed the cumulative update for Windows 11, my laptop started to act as if the Ctrl key was always pressed down when I tried to type. This happened to me once before and I don't know how I made it stop last time. I already tried doing what was suggested in other...
  3. My laptop acts as if the Ctrl key is always pressed down when I type, even on the touch...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop acts as if the Ctrl key is always pressed down when I type, even on the touch...: After I installed the cumulative update for Windows 11, my laptop started to act as if the Ctrl key was always pressed down when I tried to type. This happened to me once before and I don't know how I made it stop last time. I already tried doing what was suggested in other...
  4. CTRL Key Acting Like its being repeatedly pressed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CTRL Key Acting Like its being repeatedly pressed.: I have a windows 10 laptop, and a yesterday, my control key started randomly repeating when i held it down.I tried Windows + Space, and i have filter keys off.I have had this computer for 4 years now and i cannot fix it.There are NO crumbs under the keys, ive blown out and...
  5. CTRL Key Acting Like its being repeatedly pressed.

CTRL Key Acting Like its being repeatedly pressed.: I have a windows 10 laptop, and a yesterday, my control key started randomly repeating when i held it down.I tried Windows + Space, and i have filter keys off.I have had this computer for 4 years now and i cannot fix it.There are NO crumbs under the keys, ive blown out and...
  6. My laptop acts as if the Fn and Ctrl key are constantly pressed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop acts as if the Fn and Ctrl key are constantly pressed.: I have a HP Spectre x360 that I've owned for 2 years now. Recently when I try to use the keyboard, on-screen keyboard, or a USB attached keyboard, my laptop will think that I constantly have the Ctrl or Fn keys pressed down. If I click H in the Google Chrome search bar by...
  7. My laptop acts as if the Fn and Ctrl key are constantly pressed.

My laptop acts as if the Fn and Ctrl key are constantly pressed.: I have a HP Spectre x360 that I've owned for 2 years now. Recently when I try to use the keyboard, on-screen keyboard, or a USB attached keyboard, my laptop will think that I constantly have the Ctrl or Fn keys pressed down. If I click H in the Google Chrome search bar by...
  8. Ctrl Key acting as if it is pressed??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ctrl Key acting as if it is pressed??: I'm using surface pro 5th generation with Windows 10. Recently, it is acting as if Ctrl key is pressed while it is not. Please assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ctrl-key-acting-as-if-it-is-pressed/c0665232-f51b-421d-9e22-71bc6dcc5535
  9. Whenever I press CTRL+D my computer acts as if the CTRL key is stuck and it causes problems...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Whenever I press CTRL+D my computer acts as if the CTRL key is stuck and it causes problems...: My Control Key acts as if it is stuck whenever I press it along with the D key as some games require you to crouch or sprint with the Control Key. I cannot find a fix to the problem, I've changed my keyboard and disabled sticky keys and such, but it still does not work. I've...
  10. Ctrl, Alt and Windows keys act as if they were pressed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ctrl, Alt and Windows keys act as if they were pressed: Good afternoon, after trying many solutions to my problem, I decided to open a question because it is quite maddening. I have a very normal keyboard, GXT Trust Gaming, a piece-made PC So when I press any of the Ctrl, alt or Windows keys, they act as if they are pressed...