Windows 10: Computer audio not working

Discus and support Computer audio not working in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Sometime back in late November, or early December, I had a Windows update that I figured that I might as well install. This was a mistake as when my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/att1cu3, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Computer audio not working

Sometime back in late November, or early December, I had a Windows update that I figured that I might as well install. This was a mistake as when my computer booted back up, my audio was not working. At first, I thought "oh, might as well get Microsoft people to help fix it again" (this is the third time it's happened). However, over the course of a week, nobody has been able to help me. The last time A Microsoft official helped me, another audio driver was installed, but it did nothing but add a non-functional audio slider (I'll get to that in a bit). Later on, my Uncle said that the driver was either the thing breaking the audio, or just useless, so I uninstalled it. Since then, I haven't had the time, motivation, or memory (I forget a lot of things) to fix it.

Symptoms

- My audio is completely non-functional without an external speaker (Which I've been using).

- When no external speakers are plugged in, my audio icon in the bottom has a silent speaker, with a white x in a red circle in the lower right

- When I click it, instead of bringing up an audio slider, it brings up an audio troubleshooter

- The troubleshooter doesn't find nor resolve the problem. It gives me the option to repair 3 audio drivers, in the HDMI port. "Fixing" any of them does nothing

- When an external speaker is plugged in, pressing the Mute button doesn't turn on the light indicating that sound is muted

Solutions that have been tried

- My first recommendation was to do a system recovery. This didn't work, as my earliest system recovery was set to right after the update (I had more before the update, but I guess the update got rid of them because of course). Also, this takes almost all day, making it a very unwanted thing to do.

- People have given me different versions of the driver to install, but none of them have changed anything

- Updating the driver to the latest version hasn't changed anything

- The last Microsoft guy installed a driver program to fix the driver, which led to the audio icon, in the bottom right, not showing the audio as broken, and showing a slider when clicked. However, no audio would come out of my computer, even at max.

- I was told to manually uninstall the latest updates. I had the ability to uninstall all of them except for a security update. Nothing changed. This makes me suspect that the security update is guilty.

submitted by /u/att1cu3
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/att1cu3, Mar 25, 2020

2. Audio not working

Hi Mirdula,

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

• Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you performed to fix the issue?

For now, I suggest that you refer to the article, Windows 10 – Audio Troubleshooting Tips
    and check if the steps provided helps rectify the issue.

Hope this helps

Regards

Vanessa Sohtun, Mar 25, 2020
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    audio not working

Hi Josh,

Outdated drivers can prevent your computer from detecting plugged audio devices. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.
    • Did you make any changes to your computer before this started happening?

As an initial recommendation, we suggest that you run the built-in audio troubleshooter in Windows 10. This tool was specially designed to find and fix common audio or sound problems automatically. Here's how to do it:

• Click Start.
    • Type Troubleshoot and press Enter.
    • Click Playing Audio.
    • Click Run the troubleshooter.

If in case the issue persists, this
    article
    has step-by-step instructions on how to update your sound drivers, set default device, turn off audio enhancements, and try different audio formats. Follow the steps carefully.

We look forward to your reply and the results of the troubleshooting.

----

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Yolvi Ell, Mar 25, 2020
  4. Ryan Fra Win User

Computer audio not working

Can not record audio.

Hi,

We suggest that you run troubleshooting for Audio Recording by following these steps:

• Type troubleshooting on the search box.
    • Click View all.
    • Select Recording Audio.
    • Follow the steps to troubleshoot Recording Audio.

Let us know if you need further help.

Ryan Fra, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

Computer audio not working

1. Computer audio not working - Similar Threads - Computer audio working

2. My computer audio will not work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer audio will not work.: Yesterday, I installed an app called CCleaner which is updates drivers, cleans files, etc. After I ran some of those things, I noticed my computer wasn't producing any audio. I've tried so many things to attempt to fix this. The problem is that in sound settings, under...
  3. My computer audio will not work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer audio will not work.: Yesterday, I installed an app called CCleaner which is updates drivers, cleans files, etc. After I ran some of those things, I noticed my computer wasn't producing any audio. I've tried so many things to attempt to fix this. The problem is that in sound settings, under...
  4. My computer audio will not work.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Computer Audio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Audio: i bought this computer an know matter what i do i cant get sound. its never been wet or anything its almost brand new. please help, thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-audio/1204c42a-bae8-43c3-8e30-3a91bd1a5811
  6. Computer Audio

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer Audio: i bought this computer an know matter what i do i cant get sound. its never been wet or anything its almost brand new. please help, thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-audio/1204c42a-bae8-43c3-8e30-3a91bd1a5811
  7. Audio from my computer does not work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio from my computer does not work: One day, I was at the computer when a blue screen error appeared. Then I had to force my computer to shut down, because it didn't want to shut down on its own. When I reconnected, I had lost the audio from the PC.I've tried to uninstall the drive and reinstall, I've restarted...
  8. Computer Audio

Computer Audio: The audio on my MSI GS65 Windows 10 has stopped working correctly. I can get it to work, but I have to follow these steps. 1. I go to 'Device Manager' 2. I expand 'Sound, video and game controllers' 3. I uninstall the RealtekR Audio device and delete the driver 4. I...
  9. Computer audio not working

Computer audio not working: Sometime back in late November, or early December, I had a Windows update that I figured that I might as well install. This was a mistake as when my computer booted back up, my audio was not working. At first, I thought "oh, might as well get Microsoft people to help fix it...
  10. Computer's Audio Jacks Stopped Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer's Audio Jacks Stopped Working: The audio jacks stopped working and it is not a hardware problem. Multiple headsets do not get audio output from both of the audio jacks on the computer and the headsets are confirmed to be working, so it's the computer's problem. The audio output through a DisplayPort...