Windows 10: Computer being slow. Task manager says half of RAM in active use.

Discus and support Computer being slow. Task manager says half of RAM in active use. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Good morning/afternoon/evening all, For the past week or so my laptop (Dell Inpiron 15 3545) has been very slow in opening/running any application.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by bsims3643, May 2, 2019.

1. bsims3643 Win User

Computer being slow. Task manager says half of RAM in active use.

Good morning/afternoon/evening all,

For the past week or so my laptop (Dell Inpiron 15 3545) has been very slow in opening/running any application. The first thing I did was check task manager, which reported that half of my RAM (3.9/7.9 GB) was in active use by some program, even though no applications were open at the time. My first thought was that I had a virus of some sort, even though the only thing I had downloaded recently was a driver from the Dell website one week prior. Nevertheless, I ran a full malware scan (MalwareBytes AntiMalware) twice which reported no malware each time, and then ran CCleaner to clean any small files like cache and internet history. The issue remained. Looking online, I came across several references to Poolmon, which scans the RAM for usage. The highest-usage program listed was titled "MmSt" with 105MB of total RAM usage, with the next listings being 10MB or fewer. I tried to boot into safe mode with networking, and task manager showed about 20% usage.
    I tried a clean boot into the OS using the following tutorial: HTML Code: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows[/quote] Afterwards, the task manager showed about 30% of usage.

This is all I have been able to do so far. I am thinking of trying to refresh windows, but I do not have a recovery disc nor will my computer let me make one on a thumb drive (not sure why). At this point, the task manager is now showing that on top of the 30% of RAM, the Disc (CComputer being slow. Task manager says half of RAM in active use. :) is now at 100% with no evidence as to what is taking that much. Does anyone have some suggestions?

:)

bsims3643, May 2, 2019

2. Ram on Task manager

Roharashraj™, May 2, 2019
  3. Ram on Task manager

Computer being slow. Task manager says half of RAM in active use. 37453b15-0af4-4534-a5f6-2861615fdc71.png

1* - You have 2 RAM of 4GB

2* - Task Manager shows you have 8GB

3* - 3.8GB(in use) + 3.8GB(cached) + 0.624MB(Hardware Reserved) + 0.230MB(Pool) = 8GB(approx. more)

Note:

• 1GB = 1024MB
    • It seems you have more than 8GB RAM
    • You might be using any RAM Boost Software

Roharashraj™, May 2, 2019
  4. Computer being slow. Task manager says half of RAM in active use.

RAM usage says 100%

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to Run Maintenance task

The Run maintenance task checks issues that might slow down your computer's, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time.

Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows + X on the keyboard.

• Select Control Panel.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Click on Run maintenance task under
      System and Security.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, May 2, 2019
Thema:

Computer being slow. Task manager says half of RAM in active use.

1. Computer being slow. Task manager says half of RAM in active use. - Similar Threads - Computer being slow

2. Task manager say 1 out of 2 slots in RAM.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task manager say 1 out of 2 slots in RAM.: So in task manager, it says I used 6/7.4 GB of RAM and I want to reduce that. I looked at the bottom and it says slots used: 1 of 2. Does this mean that if I finish using 1 slot, I would be able to use the 2nd one? Am I already using the 2nd one?Thank you so much- William...
  3. Task manager say 1 out of 2 slots in RAM.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager say 1 out of 2 slots in RAM.: So in task manager, it says I used 6/7.4 GB of RAM and I want to reduce that. I looked at the bottom and it says slots used: 1 of 2. Does this mean that if I finish using 1 slot, I would be able to use the 2nd one? Am I already using the 2nd one?Thank you so much- William...
  4. Task manager say 1 out of 2 slots in RAM.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why is half of my 16 GB of ram being used up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is half of my 16 GB of ram being used up?: I have very little apps open and 7.7 GB of ram is being used? Task manager doesn't tell me what is so hungry for ram. Any solutions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-half-of-my-16-gb-of-ram-being-used-up/8da8b3af-37ed-471d-b212-c5a0515405df
  6. Why is half of my 16 GB of ram being used up?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is half of my 16 GB of ram being used up?: I have very little apps open and 7.7 GB of ram is being used? Task manager doesn't tell me what is so hungry for ram. Any solutions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-half-of-my-16-gb-of-ram-being-used-up/8da8b3af-37ed-471d-b212-c5a0515405df
  7. Slow computer, disk 100% in task manager.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow computer, disk 100% in task manager.: [ATTACH] Hi all, I noticed recently that my computer was running a little slow. In fact, on 08.03.2021 it wouldn't even open a PowerPoint document (albeit a big one). I opened up task manager and noticed that the disk was running at 100%. Having googled it I tried several...
  8. Task manager shows I'm using 7.6 gb of RAM, but in the user details, shows 1.5 RAM being used.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task manager shows I'm using 7.6 gb of RAM, but in the user details, shows 1.5 RAM being used.: I recently noticed that my Laptop is getting slower, and I opened my Task Manager to check if is any problem or any abnormal percentage, without any videogame open my computer is using from 7 to 8 GB of RAM My computer has 12 GB, and I left 100mb to system so I've 11.9GB I...
  9. Ram Not being used.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ram Not being used.: Hello i have a windows 10 desktop HP 110-014 Desktop PC (ENERGY STAR) Model #: H5P35AA Model Name: 110-014 HD Bus Type: Serial ATA-300 Standard Memory: 4096 MB Max Memory: 32768 MB Number of Sockets: 2 Memory Comments: PC3-12800 1066Mhz DDR3 SDRAM DIMM 240-pin I...
  10. Task Manager says 287 MB of Memory is being used for Photos (2)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Task Manager says 287 MB of Memory is being used for Photos (2): Win10 is running, and I am viewing the desktop, doing nothing with photos. Task Manager says Photos (2) is using 287MB of memory. Nothing is listed in the bottom list (File Explorer, Word, IE, etc.) that appears to be associated with photos except possibly Windows Media...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ram speed is half in task mamager