Windows 10: Computer boots to a local account

Discus and support Computer boots to a local account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My computer with win10 works fine for about 2 weeks then suddenly it boots to a local account to which I can't get out of. I've tried a few of the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by collieman, Sep 22, 2017.

1. collieman Win User

Computer boots to a local account

My computer with win10 works fine for about 2 weeks then suddenly it boots to a local account to which I can't get out of. I've tried a few of the suggestions on the net but none work. I have to keep reinstalling win10 as my only solution. Why does it do this? Win 7 never did that. I had it for 5 years. I keep it updated and clean BTW I can't upgrade to the creator version either. It won't allow it. Don't know if the two problems are related. Does anyone have any ideas on this problem? Thank you

:)

collieman, Sep 22, 2017

2. Windows 10 Local Account

And we get a tutorial that shows us how to create a dang account instead of how to get our . Like we are stupid! Ugh!

local account, Sep 22, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Local Account

I am logged into my Microsoft account and I want to log into the current I have used for years. When I followed instructions, it wants me to create a new instead of just adding the current one. How do I add the current one that
    has all of my settings already established on my computer?

Thanks.

Staci

local account, Sep 22, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Why don't you try installing the Creator's Update build the next time you have to reinstall Windows anyway (instead of installing an older build and then trying to update)? Maybe the new build will also fix your login problem.

NavyLCDR, Sep 22, 2017
  5. collieman Win User
    I did try to upgrade to the creators version after a fresh reinstall of the OS but it still wouldn't take. I'd like to be able to get out of the local account when it comes up. I tried rebooting like it said. I tried changing my user account and then back but won't work. Never had this much trouble with an OS like I'm having with win10. 7 was the best for me. 8 was OK. Win 10 takes soooo long to bootup.

collieman, Sep 22, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    And that was the basis for my question. Instead of installing an older build of Windows and then trying to upgrade it to Creators Update - why don't you just install the Creators Update first instead of the older build?

NavyLCDR, Sep 22, 2017
  7. collieman Win User
    The computer I have is a Pavillion laptop. If I do install the Creators Update first will that wipe out the ability to do a recovery from settings/update & security? I assume that I will have to download the ISO to a DVD or bootable flash drive.

collieman, Sep 22, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

No. It will create a new recovery partition from which the recovery options under settings/update & security will function from. Yes, you will have to create new installation medium, I recommend you just let the Microsoft Media Creation Tool do it for you:
    Download Windows 10

NavyLCDR, Sep 22, 2017
  9. collieman Win User
    Got it! I'll will give it a try. Thank you.

collieman, Sep 22, 2017
  10. collieman Win User
    It didn't work. I went to Microsoft's update site and used the media creation tool. Burned a setup DVD. The new OS installation seemed to work well. Cortana told me that she was going as fast as she could. Connected to my network so the installation could do any updates which it found. After the installation finished I rebooted. It came to the lock screen just before desktop with the cartoon of an igloo and what looked like a space creature. The little dots went round in a circle and kept going round and round. After about 15 minutes a blue screen popped up saying there was a problem and it was collecting information and I could reboot after it was done. It went to 100%. I rebooted. Now it's trying to do a startup repair?? After 20 minutes or so it said it couldn't be fixed. Computer doesn't work at all now. So, I tried a second time...same thing (same blue screen) except this time all I get when booting is a black screen with a little blinking cursor up in the left corner. Goes no further. Glad I still have my old DELL here with Win 7. Thinking about trying the download again and burning another installation disk.

collieman, Sep 24, 2017
  11. collieman Win User

collieman, Sep 26, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Modern vehicles are controlled by several computers linked together over a data bus. My daughter's windshield wipers stopped.working on her 2002 Nissan Altima and guess what I had to replace...the computer module that controlled them.

NavyLCDR, Sep 26, 2017
  13. collieman Win User

I have done that...I have tried installing ver I think it's 1511. I then tried ver 1703. I have tried installing the Fall version (1709) creators upgrade. All do the same thing.....boot to a temp profile AFTER a shutdown then booting up the computer again. I can reboot as many times as I want and it's OK. Just can't shutdown and boot back up. I just got done reinstalling Creators this time without upgrading my drivers and NOTHING on the computer, just the OS. Same thing. Boots to a temp profile after shutting it down and booting back up. I tried a new hard drive but that didn't help. I'm going to try win 8/8.1 to see if it does it with that OS. I am out of ideas.

collieman, Dec 16, 2017
  14. TrustMe Win User
    TrustMe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer boots to a local account - Similar Threads - Computer boots local

2. Second local user account is turning on on boot and using my computer's resources

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second local user account is turning on on boot and using my computer's resources: Good morning,I have two local accounts with administrator rights created on my computer.The first one - belongs to me - let's call it Account XThe second one of my brother's - let's call it Account YWhen I open account X and log into it, everything is fine and the task...
  3. Second local user account is turning on on boot and using my computer's resources

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second local user account is turning on on boot and using my computer's resources: Good morning,I have two local accounts with administrator rights created on my computer.The first one - belongs to me - let's call it Account XThe second one of my brother's - let's call it Account YWhen I open account X and log into it, everything is fine and the task...
  4. Second local user account is turning on on boot and using my computer's resources

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Second local user account is turning on on boot and using my computer's resources

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Computer Account Keeps Creating Local User Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Computer Account Keeps Creating Local User Account: Hello I have had a problem for a while in my network. Several computer accounts keep creating local user accounts and deleting them in a matter of minutes. This occurs in several devices in my environment. Could this be a service?...
  7. Singing into a computer with a local account or a Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Singing into a computer with a local account or a Microsoft account?: Hey everyone! I recently got a new computer and was wondering if I should sign into it with my Microsoft account or just use a local account. I don't use multiple computers (but that might change down the road) and the only services I really use are Office and Teams. Also, is...
  8. Local Account for Computer to be Donated or Sold

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local Account for Computer to be Donated or Sold: I have an old PC on which I have installed a fresh copy of the latest Windows 10 (Version 2004 OS Build 19041.450) while connected to my Microsoft account, and I have run a utility to securely erase all unused space on the disk. I plan to donate or sell the PC, and I...
  9. Creating a Local account on a new computer?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Creating a Local account on a new computer?: I do a lot of new computer set ups for people. So i'm normally unboxing and setting up new Dell's and HP's. I remember before on the initial setup, when Microsoft would ask for an email address, there was a Make Local account button on the bottom left.. but on the past 2-3...
  10. Security of local account on a stolen computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security of local account on a stolen computer: Hi all sorry trouble you had my laptop stolen about 3 weeks was using a windows local account password windows 10 not sure witch version of windows i had it was the one with the password hint just looking for some advice are they really easy to get past the password for the...