Windows 10: Computer cant detect drive

Discus and support Computer cant detect drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey so, I have a usb "easy store drive". However, it keeps saying "The directory name is invalid" and I can't access any storage on this drive. Does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Allimant, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Allimant Win User

Computer cant detect drive

Hey so, I have a usb "easy store drive". However, it keeps saying "The directory name is invalid" and I can't access any storage on this drive. Does anyone have a solution to this?

:)

Allimant, Feb 16, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Internal hard drive not getting detected after upgrading the computer to Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that after upgrading your computer to Windows 10, the 8TB internal hard drive is not getting detected. I’ll certainly help you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• How did you upgrade the computer to Windows 10?
    • Are you able to see the hard drive in BIOS?
    • Are you using a Desktop or a Laptop?
    • What is the make and model of the computer you are using?

I would suggest you to check if the hard drive is being detected in BIOS. If the hard drive is not being detected in BIOS, then it could be a connectivity issue between the hard drive and the motherboard.

However, if the hard drive is getting detected in BIOS, I would suggest you to try updating the storage drivers from the computer manufacturer’s website and see if that helps.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 16, 2021
  3. My Seagate external hard drive is not detected when plugged in to USB port of my laptop using windows 10?

Hello Lingam,

As you are facing issues with accessing hard drive on your computer, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to access the hard drive?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with yellow exclamatory mark in the Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager
    • Right click on the detected driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 16, 2021
  4. SVLingam Win User

My Seagate external hard drive is not detected when plugged in to USB port of my laptop using windows 10?

Thanks for your response.

I have tried all the steps provided, however in vain. The external hard drive is not identified at all in any of the the USB ports when connected. The USB ports identify other external Flash drives and devices. However this drive is detected in another laptop
    using Windows 7 OS. Please advise further.

Regards

SVLingam, Feb 16, 2021
Thema:

1. Computer cant detect drive - Similar Threads - Computer cant detect

2. hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hard drive not detected: hard drive not detected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-detected/48576ba9-4421-4ddc-b6dc-3473fea08eee
  3. Cant detect 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant detect 2nd monitor: My computer has 1 hdmi port and 2 display ports. The display ports used to work but now cant recognize any monitor as being connected. I've tried many different cables and different monitors. I've updated the drivers and system. I can't figure out what's wrong.Device name...
  4. Cant detect 2nd monitor

Cant detect 2nd monitor: My computer has 1 hdmi port and 2 display ports. The display ports used to work but now cant recognize any monitor as being connected. I've tried many different cables and different monitors. I've updated the drivers and system. I can't figure out what's wrong.Device name...
  5. SSD Drive not detected

SSD Drive not detected: Hi, I had encountered a problem in my SSD drive. It was not detected in 'Computer' part in my file but in the 'Disk Management' the file is shown but only show--> Disk 1 Removable Z: No mediaI have tried all sorts of solutions provided in the internet but none of the worked....
  6. computer drive is locked and cant unlock it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    computer drive is locked and cant unlock it: Hi recently I added a family member to my computer and wanted to make it so only the admin could access a hard drive in my computer, later I wanted to get rid o this because it would not let me the main account access it either, later I found out that there was another...
  7. external hard drive cant be detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive cant be detected: when i plug in my hard drive, it doesn't show up in file explorer and disk management but only in device manager. when i restart my computer with the hard drive plugged in, i get a blue screen. is it a problem with the driver or windows and how do i fix this?...
  8. Sound drive not detected

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sound drive not detected: Hi, since I updated my Windows 10, the sound card drive has been removed and cannot be identified. Please help, the sound card has been deactivated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-drive-not-detected/80d76f6b-62f6-4d77-a0e1-779132797b9a
  9. Hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive not detected: What could be the possible reason that my external hard drive is not appearing on the pc bios screen but working with my mobile? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-detected/6757b01a-2bbc-48d4-a3f3-b128115ee10f"
  10. External drive not detected by computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive not detected by computer: Currently have an internal HDD running windows 10. Before it was on Win 7 but the I took it off and made it as an external drive because all of a sudden all files (C drive files were deleted by themselves or gone). So I was thinking maybe I can recover the files if I...