Windows 10: Computer can't recognize a USB flash drive after it's been removed and reinserted

Discus and support Computer can't recognize a USB flash drive after it's been removed and reinserted in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I first boot up my Windows 10 computer, it will recognize USB flash drives in File Explorer. But once they are removed, whether simply pulled out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RickW1255, Sep 8, 2018.

1. RickW1255 Win User

Computer can't recognize a USB flash drive after it's been removed and reinserted

When I first boot up my Windows 10 computer, it will recognize USB flash drives in File Explorer. But once they are removed, whether simply pulled out or properly ejected, they won't be recognized again. No other flash drive will be recognized (so I know it isn't just a bad drive). I've uninstalled and reinstalled the devices in Device Manager, and I've uninstalled all three USB root hubs, both Generic USB hubs, and two USB Composite Devices. After restarting in each case, the same thing happens again. And it's only flash drives that it happens to. Dongles for my mouse and wireless keyboard are recognized always. What else can I check?

:)

RickW1255, Sep 8, 2018
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Sep 8, 2018
  3. larrydonline Win User
    USB flash not being recognized

Even rebooting won't make my Windows 10 Home program recognize a USB flash drive plugged into any port of the computer. I've tried three different flash drives, including two that are new and one that plays in the car. I don't get that musical note that tells me the computer recognizes something that has just been plugged in.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what's going on and how to solve it. Thanks, Larry

larrydonline, Sep 8, 2018
  4. Martin Bar Win User

Computer can't recognize a USB flash drive after it's been removed and reinserted

USB Flash drive made bootable

Hi Nelson,

Check if there is any slide switch on the side that provides write protection. It show's a closed and open lock on each side. We suggest to follow these steps below:

• Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
    • Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Search textbox and press Enter.
    • Find Disk Drives and expand it.
    • Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and double-click it. It opens the
      Properties dialog box.
    • Click Policies tab.
    • By default, the Optimize for quick removal option selected, switch it to Optimize for performance and then press
      OK.
    • Now open Computer. Right click on the USB Flash Drive and select Format. The Format dialog box now appears.
    • Select NTFS in the File System field.
    • Press Start and wait while the process will be completed.

You can also connect the USB drive on a different computer and try formatting.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer can't recognize a USB flash drive after it's been removed and reinserted - Similar Threads - Computer can't recognize

2. BitLocker encrypted USB Flash drive on another computer?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker encrypted USB Flash drive on another computer?: I have a dedicated USB flash drive to store all my files and its now encrypted with BitLocker. What if I insert this USB drive to another computer and edit my documents directly from the USB drive without saving the files onto the other computer? Will data still leak to that...
  3. win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive: why does win10 not recognize my usb flash drive anymore ( I cannot save copied files in my usb portable flash device) ?? thanks R. 10/9/2018 10.20 PM EST...
  4. flash drive improperly removed.

flash drive improperly removed.: How do I regain use of a flash drive that was not properly ejected before removal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/flash-drive-improperly-removed/f76af0b1-55d5-4b35-82a8-c47583019efe
  5. OS doesn't recognize USB flash drives (KB4056892)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OS doesn't recognize USB flash drives (KB4056892): Just completed Win10 update KB4056892 on my Sony laptop, now running v.1709, build 16299.125. Almost everything is fine except the system no longer recognizes USB flash drives. When a flash drive (USB2 or 3) is inserted in a port the Device Manager recognizes it as "Other...
  6. USB flash not being recognized

USB flash not being recognized: Even rebooting won't make my Windows 10 Home program recognize a USB flash drive plugged into any port of the computer. I've tried three different flash drives, including two that are new and one that plays in the car. I don't get that musical note that tells me the computer...
  7. Flash drives recognized but external hard drives are not

Flash drives recognized but external hard drives are not: My Windows 10 Home laptop will recognize all of my flash drives but won't recognize any of my external hard drives. They all use to show up but now they aren't. The hard drives show up in disk manager but won't show up in file explorer. I hooked them up to other laptops &...
  8. USB flash drives not recognized nor will a System restore point restor

USB flash drives not recognized nor will a System restore point restor: My OS: Windows 10 Home I believe that it all started with the installment of a possibly dodgy security suite "Akick". I had just done a fresh windows install a few days before it running only the built in Microsoft Security before it. I felt something was not right about...
  9. USB drives not recognized

USB drives not recognized: After recent update USB drives are not recognized; tried 3 separate ones. There is a sound when plugged in / taken out. The drives work OK on other computers. USB keyboard and hub work. Connected to hub printer, scanner and cordless mouse work. Device manager shows no faults...
  10. USB flash drive not recognized -- light keeps blinking?

USB flash drive not recognized -- light keeps blinking?: Hi I recently purchased a Windows 10 tablet, everything else works fine except one annoying issue. I have a 64 GB USB 2.0 flash drive, which works well on my desktop PC (Windows 7). I also have another 16 GB USB stick (USB 2.0). Both USB sticks work fine on my desktop PC....