Windows 10: Computer can't recognize a USB flash drive after it's been removed and reinserted

Discus and support Computer can't recognize a USB flash drive after it's been removed and reinserted in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I first boot up my Windows 10 computer, it will recognize USB flash drives in File Explorer. But once they are removed, whether simply pulled out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RickW1255, Sep 8, 2018.

1. RickW1255 Win User

Computer can't recognize a USB flash drive after it's been removed and reinserted

When I first boot up my Windows 10 computer, it will recognize USB flash drives in File Explorer. But once they are removed, whether simply pulled out or properly ejected, they won't be recognized again. No other flash drive will be recognized (so I know it isn't just a bad drive). I've uninstalled and reinstalled the devices in Device Manager, and I've uninstalled all three USB root hubs, both Generic USB hubs, and two USB Composite Devices. After restarting in each case, the same thing happens again. And it's only flash drives that it happens to. Dongles for my mouse and wireless keyboard are recognized always. What else can I check?

:)

RickW1255, Sep 8, 2018
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Sep 8, 2018
  3. USB flash not being recognized

Even rebooting won't make my Windows 10 Home program recognize a USB flash drive plugged into any port of the computer. I've tried three different flash drives, including two that are new and one that plays in the car. I don't get that musical note that tells me the computer recognizes something that has just been plugged in.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what's going on and how to solve it. Thanks, Larry

larrydonline, Sep 8, 2018
  4. Computer can't recognize a USB flash drive after it's been removed and reinserted

USB Flash drive made bootable

Hi Nelson,

Check if there is any slide switch on the side that provides write protection. It show's a closed and open lock on each side. We suggest to follow these steps below:

• Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
    • Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Search textbox and press Enter.
    • Find Disk Drives and expand it.
    • Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and double-click it. It opens the
      Properties dialog box.
    • Click Policies tab.
    • By default, the Optimize for quick removal option selected, switch it to Optimize for performance and then press
      OK.
    • Now open Computer. Right click on the USB Flash Drive and select Format. The Format dialog box now appears.
    • Select NTFS in the File System field.
    • Press Start and wait while the process will be completed.

You can also connect the USB drive on a different computer and try formatting.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

Computer can't recognize a USB flash drive after it's been removed and reinserted

1. Computer can't recognize a USB flash drive after it's been removed and reinserted - Similar Threads - Computer can't recognize

2. Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives: I am trying to create a recovery drive for a brand new Dell computer running Windows 11 and keep getting this error with different flash drives: "Connect a USB flash drive. The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB, and everything on the drive will be...
  3. Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives: I am trying to create a recovery drive for a brand new Dell computer running Windows 11 and keep getting this error with different flash drives: "Connect a USB flash drive. The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB, and everything on the drive will be...
  4. PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive: PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-doesnt-recognize-usb-flash-drive/0a95f9d2-6968-4325-8c66-0e87374ede1e
  5. PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive: PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-doesnt-recognize-usb-flash-drive/0a95f9d2-6968-4325-8c66-0e87374ede1e
  6. flash drive not recognized

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    flash drive not recognized: Drive less month old...would put movie files on it then plug into my tv to stream...one time was transferring data to the drive got this error message in this picture....and other picture drive F.....
  7. Flash Drive Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flash Drive Not Recognized: After using my 128-GB Sandisk flash drive to put files back on my Mac, my Windows computer no longer recognizes it, but the Mac can still recognize it and all the data. Formatting it does not solve the problem. Windows does not recognize the drive at all, and I don't even see...
  8. computer not recognizing usb drive

computer not recognizing usb drive: my computer stopped recognizing my usb drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-not-recognizing-usb-drive/087d0d1a-104a-4f04-81e1-ca3c40e89ca5
  9. Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized: I have a 16GB USB Flash Drive I was using for saving "File History" documents, favorites, etc.. It appeared to be working, but later I got a message about running out of space on the drive. I formatted the drive and that appeared to be successful, then tried to use it...
  10. win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive

win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive: why does win10 not recognize my usb flash drive anymore ( I cannot save copied files in my usb portable flash device) ?? thanks R. 10/9/2018 10.20 PM EST...