Windows 10: Computer Can't Run any Boot Devices

Discus and support Computer Can't Run any Boot Devices in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My computer was running Windows 10. Here are my specs: 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 1 x WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by emcgrady, Aug 1, 2019.

1. emcgrady Win User

Computer Can't Run any Boot Devices

My computer was running Windows 10. Here are my specs:

2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400
    1 x WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal SSD
    1 x EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, 08G-P4-6286-KR, 8GB GDDR5X
    1 x Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz
    1 x ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel
    1 x PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire Intel Haswell Ready Power...

emcgrady, Aug 1, 2019
  2. zbook Win User

BSOD - Inaccessible Boot Device

The reset save files equivalent if successful should be the quickest method to get you backup and running.

The backup files then clean install is the best option as you fix many problems and start fresh.

The command prompt commands are all trial and error.

Code:
    Code:
    1) bcdedit /enum  2) bcdedit | find "osdevice"  (note the partition drive letter displayed in the result as this drive letter will be used in many of the later commands)

Code:
    Code:
    3) diskpart  list disk  list volume  select disk 0  detail disk  list partition  select partition 1  detail partition  select partition 2  detail partition  select partition 3  detail partition  select partition 4  detail partition  select partition 5  detail partition  select disk 1  detail disk  list partition  select partition 1  detail partition  select partition 2  detail partition  select partition 3  detail partition  select partition 4  detail partition  select disk 2  detail disk  list partition  select partition 1  detail partition  select partition 2  detail partition  select partition 3  detail partition  select partition 4  detail partition  select disk 3  detail disk  list partition  select partition 1  detail partition  select partition 2  detail partition  select partition 3  detail partition  select partition 4  detail partition  select disk 4  detail disk  list partition  select disk 5  detail disk  list partition  select disk 6  detail disk  list partition  exit  (post an image of the results into the thread)

Code:
    Code:
    4) chkdsk /r /v T:  (replace the drive letter T: with the partition drive letter displayed in the result for step 2)  (This may take many hours and typically displays ETA)  (reboot to run the command)  (post an image of the result into the thread)  (reboot after the command completes to check the boot)  (reopen command prompt for the next step)

Code:
    Code:
    5) dism /image:T:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions  (change the drive letter T: to the drive letter displayed in the result for step #2)  (reboot after the command completes)  (reopen command prompt to run the next command)

Code:
    Code:
    6) dism /Image:T:\ /Get-Packages  (change the drive letter T: to the drive letter displayed in the results of step #2)  (Run the following command on the last installed package:  example: dism.exe /image:T:\ /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB4014329~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.0  (change the drive letter T: to the partition drive letter displayed in step #2)  (Reboot)  (perform this command on multiple KB as needed to go back in time to before there were boot problems)

Code:
    Code:
    7) sfc /scannow /offbootdir=T:\ /offwindir=T:\windows  (change the drive letters T: to the drive letter displayed in result for step #2)  (This command may take a while to run)  (post an image of the results into the thread)  (reboot to check the boot)  (open command prompt for the next step)

Code:
    Code:
    8) bootrec /fixmbr  9) bootrec /fixboot  10) bootrec /scanos  11) bootrec /rebuildbcd  (post an image of the result into the thread)  (reboot after the command completes to check the boot)

zbook, Aug 1, 2019
  3. Unable to boot the device running Windows 10

Hi Don,

As you are unable to boot the device running Windows 10, provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue.

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What exactly do you mean by: "the laptop will not open"?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?

As a workaround I suggest you to unplug all the external devices connected to your computer, hard reboot the device and check with the status of this issue. Please be informed that there is a power supply to your device.

If the issue still persists, try the below troubleshooting steps as the boot files of current operating system might got corrupted.

I suggest you to download Windows 10 ISO file, create an installation media from other working computer to perform automatic repair of the computer that you are unable to boot.

Using ISO file to perform automatic repair will allow the device to boot the system to Windows Recovery Environment and tries to repair the device.

Step 1:
    I suggest you to try automatic repairing the Windows and check if it helps.

Download the Windows 10 ISO and create a Media Creation tool and then perform Automatic Repair.

Refer to the following link: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

(Refer to the section "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool” in the above article for creating the tool).

Step 2: After creating the tool perform an Automatic Repair.

I would like to inform that, if your Windows 10 is not able to boot or startup, Automatic Repair will come into action and try to diagnose and fix the issue. It will scan system files, registry settings, configuration settings and
    more and try to fix the problem on its own, automatically.

Perform the Automatic repair:

• When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be
      F12.
    • The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
    • Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the
      Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to
      CD\DVD ROM.
    • After you boot your computer using Windows 10 DVD, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
    • Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
    • Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner
    • Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click
      Automatic repair.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 1, 2019
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Boot Device not found

Hi Alan,

Corrupted system files or it boot to a different hard drive that it why you received the message Boot Device no found. To better assist you, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any changes prior to this issue?
    • Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to perform automatic repair:

• Force turn off your computer/device 3 times until you reach the Automatic Repair environment.
    • On the list of options under Advance options, choose Start-up Repair and perform the instructions.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Aug 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Computer Can't Run any Boot Devices - Similar Threads - Computer Can't Run

2. Can't connect any Bluetooth devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect any Bluetooth devices: I'm using Asus Bluetooth Dongle USB-BT500 and in my Windows 10 computer I can't connect any devices, if I use the same dongle and same device I want to connect in any other computer, the devices connect successfully.How can I restore factory settings for Bluetooth in my...
  3. Can't connect any Bluetooth devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't connect any Bluetooth devices: I'm using Asus Bluetooth Dongle USB-BT500 and in my Windows 10 computer I can't connect any devices, if I use the same dongle and same device I want to connect in any other computer, the devices connect successfully.How can I restore factory settings for Bluetooth in my...
  4. Can't sign into any microsoft products on computer running Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't sign into any microsoft products on computer running Windows 11: A few weeks ago, I got a message that there was an error to fix while trying to use Mail. I still have a hotmail account which I use as my primary. I know my password and I can sign into hotmail through a browser. However, anything linked to my account on my computer, mail,...
  5. Can't sign into any microsoft products on computer running Windows 11

Can't sign into any microsoft products on computer running Windows 11: A few weeks ago, I got a message that there was an error to fix while trying to use Mail. I still have a hotmail account which I use as my primary. I know my password and I can sign into hotmail through a browser. However, anything linked to my account on my computer, mail,...
  6. 'This app can't run on this device'.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'This app can't run on this device'.: I have tried to install VirtualBox 5.2 on my windows 10 PC. Whenever I open the installer I get the error:'This app can't run because is causes security or performance issues on Windows.'How do I get around this?...
  7. 'This app can't run on this device'.

'This app can't run on this device'.: I have tried to install VirtualBox 5.2 on my windows 10 PC. Whenever I open the installer I get the error:'This app can't run because is causes security or performance issues on Windows.'How do I get around this?...
  8. Can't find any devices

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't find any devices: I recently got Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, but I can't download any of the games I want to play on to my PC. I constantly keep getting this every time I try to install a game. I do what is told of me and the Laptop that I try to download the games on is linked to the "device" in...
  9. Can't run any apps as administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't run any apps as administrator: Hi, I am trying to run programs that require administrator privileges but it gives me a message saying "This App Can't Run On Your PC. To find a version for your pc, check with the software publisher". This happens even when I try to run CMD as administrator. I tried...
  10. Computer boots but can't launch any programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer boots but can't launch any programs: My brother's computer, which is running Windows 10, has got major problems. It boots up okay but he can't launch any programs after the boot cycle is finished. When he tries to launch an app from his desktop, nothing happens. He can right-click and see Task Manager but it...