Windows 10: Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart.

Discus and support Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys. I hope someone here can help me with my current problem on my desktop. Whenever I try to shutdown my computer the montior shuts off and my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 1tomse2, Dec 23, 2016.

1. 1tomse2 Win User

Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart.

Hey guys. I hope someone here can help me with my current problem on my desktop. Whenever I try to shutdown my computer the montior shuts off and my drives stops after a few seconds, but my fans and LEDs keeps running.
    I've tried to do all the suggestions from My Laptop wont shutdown , sleep and restart!! and from Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly - Forums - CNET

As of now, the only way I can shutdown my computer is by holding the powerbutton after I hear my drives have stopped or by using the switch on the powersupply.

Thanks in advance and Merry X-mas *Smile

:)

1tomse2, Dec 23, 2016

2. Wake up in Windows 10

My laptop goes to sleep in Windows 10 and will not wake up, it requires a forced shutdown and a restart! Can't find a setting for wakeup only sleep etc!

Arthur Parsons, Dec 23, 2016
  3. ong toi Win User
    Start buttons and Settings and Notification don't work

another bug: if I shut off wifi hot-spot, laptop will go to sleep mode. As I wake it up, then Power Off. laptop is not responsed. Can't shutdown. I have tried: cmd admin prompt, right click shutdown, or modern shutdown. None of Restart or Shutdown work.

The only thing work is Sleep, but it not really sleep - just turned off the LCD screen, the laptop froze. Can't wake it up anymore. The only option then is too push power button to hard shutdown.

Even Viewer is worse - not report any errors prior.

My next step - will remove all Toshiba sleep related apps.

ong toi, Dec 23, 2016
  4. Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart.

Welcome to the TenForums.

What happens if you open a command prompt, as administrator, and issue the command Shutdown /s /f /t 0

This is a full shutdown, force apps to close, immediately. See Brink's tutorial at

Shut Down Computer in Windows 10

Caledon Ken, Dec 24, 2016
  5. 1tomse2 Win User
    Thanks for your answer.

I've tried you suggestion with CMD​ and shutdown /s /f /t 0 and still the same, where my monitor loses the connection/signal (as it should) but all the fans keep spining and LED's are still on.

1tomse2, Dec 24, 2016
  6. 1nitram2 Win User
    Try disabling Intel Management Engine Interface in Device Manager.

1nitram2, Dec 24, 2016
  7. 1tomse2 Win User
    Still the same, thanks though for your suggestion.

1tomse2, Dec 25, 2016
  8. Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart.

Okay. Then I think we have to see what powercfg has to say. If you head to wiki look up powercfg. You run from command prompt (admin). Pulling the rug out from Windows with your hard power down is going to lead to software issues and in my opinion hardware issues.

If you could run.

powercfg /energy /output %userprofile%\desktop\Energy.html

(there is a space after the word output before the percent sign.)

This will produce a report on your desktop called energy that you can read by double clicking. My thinking is it will provide at least one error as to why you cannot power down. It should also report on your sleep states.

Before doing this I might even try restore your power plan defaults, restart and see if that cleared situation. If not run powercfg but close active apps before run.

Caledon Ken, Dec 25, 2016
  9. 1tomse2 Win User
    Thanks for your suggestion. I've run "powercfg /energy /output %userprofile%\desktop\Energy.html" and I can see multiple errors but honestly I've no idea what half of it even means.

I've posted the report below hoping someone can help.
    Sorry for the long post.
    Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

Computer Name DESKTOP-8N9II1M Scan Time 2016-12-26T19:52:56Z Scan Duration 60 seconds System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M. System Product Name To Be Filled By O.E.M. BIOS Date 11/18/2013 BIOS Version P1.30 OS Build 14393 Platform Role PlatformRoleDesktop Plugged In true Process Count 97 Thread Count 1700 Report GUID {fd0b389a-ec63-424b-8f69-94e3f3e181e8} Analysis Results

Errors

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
    This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
    Device Name USB Root Hub Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26 Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_1C26 Port Path

This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
    Device Name USB Composite Device Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26 Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_1532&PID_011C Port Path 1,6

Device Name USB Composite Device Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26 Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_1B1C&PID_1B19 Port Path 1,5

Device Name Generic USB Hub Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26 Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_8087&PID_0024 Port Path 1

CPU UtilisationComputer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart. :processor utilisation is high
    The average processor utilisation during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilisation is very low. Review processor utilisation for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilisation.
    Average Utilisation (%) 4.54

Platform Power Management CapabilitiesComputer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart. :pCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
    PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

Warnings

Platform Timer ResolutionComputer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart. :platform Timer Resolution
    The default platform timer resolution is 15.6 ms (15625000 ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
    Current Timer Resolution (100 ns units) 10006 Maximum Timer Period (100 ns units) 156250

Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request
    A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
    Requested Period 20000 Requesting Process ID 10076 Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_16.1118.10000.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Microsoft.Photos.exe

Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request
    A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
    Requested Period 10000 Requesting Process ID 9332 Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Utility Engine\CUE.exe

CPU Utilisation:Individual process with significant processor utilisation.
    This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilisation recorded during the trace.
    Process Name CUE.exe PID 9332 Average Utilisation (%) 2.10 Module Average Module Utilisation (%) \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.64 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Utility Engine\Qt5Core.dll 0.41 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll 0.28

Information

Platform Timer Resolution:Timer Request Stack
    The stack of modules responsible for the lowest platform timer setting in this process.
    Requested Period 20000 Requesting Process ID 10076 Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_16.1118.10000.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Microsoft.Photos.exe Calling Module Stack \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\RTWorkQ.dll \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\mfcore.dll \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\RTWorkQ.dll \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll

Platform Timer Resolution:Timer Request Stack
    The stack of modules responsible for the lowest platform timer setting in this process.
    Requested Period 10000 Requesting Process ID 9332 Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Utility Engine\CUE.exe Calling Module Stack \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\SysWOW64\winmm.dll \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Utility Engine\Qt5Core.dll

Power Policy:Active Power Plan
    The current power plan in use
    Plan Name OEM Balanced Plan GUID {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}

Power PolicyComputer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart. :power Plan Personality (Plugged In)
    The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
    Personality Balanced

Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
    The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.

Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)
    Enables Windows Media Player to optimise for quality or power savings when playing video.
    Quality Mode Optimise for Video Quality

System Availability Requests:Analysis Success
    Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.

Battery:Analysis Success
    Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
    Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
    S1 Sleep Supported false S2 Sleep Supported false S3 Sleep Supported true S4 Sleep Supported true

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Connected Standby Support
    Connected standby allows the computer to enter a low-power mode in which it is always on and connected. If supported, connected standby is used instead of system sleep states.
    Connected Standby Supported false

Platform Power Management CapabilitiesComputer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart. :processor Power Management Capabilities
    Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
    Group 0 Index 0 Idle State Count 3 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 2801 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 57 Lowest Throttle Percentage 57 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Platform Power Management CapabilitiesComputer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart. :processor Power Management Capabilities
    Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
    Group 0 Index 1 Idle State Count 3 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 2801 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 57 Lowest Throttle Percentage 57 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Group 0 Index 2 Idle State Count 3 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 2801 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 57 Lowest Throttle Percentage 57 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Group 0 Index 3 Idle State Count 3 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 2801 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 57 Lowest Throttle Percentage 57 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Group 0 Index 4 Idle State Count 3 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 2801 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 57 Lowest Throttle Percentage 57 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Group 0 Index 5 Idle State Count 3 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 2801 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 57 Lowest Throttle Percentage 57 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Group 0 Index 6 Idle State Count 3 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 2801 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 57 Lowest Throttle Percentage 57 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Group 0 Index 7 Idle State Count 3 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 2801 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 57 Lowest Throttle Percentage 57 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Device Drivers:Analysis Success

1tomse2, Dec 25, 2016
  10. Agree lots of info however lots of potential leads.

Could I ask, and I should have ask to begin with, did this just happen in the last two weeks. I'm keying in on the fact Window patches were released December 13th and while I don't think it is a window patch I'm wondering if you got drivers delivered, free of charge, that may have caused issue.

The first few errors are related to USB suspend and the id you provided comes back to Chipset 6 Series / C200. I know 1nitram2 mentioned the Intel Mgmt. By the way did you re-enable the Management prior to running Energy report?

I'm assuming you built this rig, correct? Did you make any Bios customizations?

Did you restore power plan settings. (To both plans as you appear to be running two)?

I know I'm going in different directions with my thinking but I think its important to explore multi venues as something may just click with people reading this thread.

Caledon Ken, Dec 26, 2016
  11. 1tomse2 Win User
    Yes it a comstume rig I built myself.
    No it didn't happen over the last 2 weeks. It's been about 2 months and haven't been able to find a answer to my problem and decided to join this forum.
    I did re-enable Intel mgmt prior to running Energy report, since it didn't help.
    Only Bios customizations made is fan speed control. (Have even tried to download new Bios update and set Bios to factory settings)

1tomse2, Dec 26, 2016
  12. Okay. So please make notes of what we change so you can undo.

First lets see about USB selective suspend. I know the report says this is not causing sleep issue but I would like to see a few less errors.

If you go to your power plan and go into advance settings you will see a heading USB Settings. If you expand you will see USB Selective Suspend. Can you disable it please.

There are two programs issuing warnings. Photos and Corsair Utility Engine. Do you now when the Corsair utility was installed. Is there an update at their site that should be investigated.

Most concerned about PCI Express message and the known incompatibility. More work required here.

Can I ask what is plugged into you PCI slots and do you used standard SSD's / HDD's (not M.2 SSD, can't see a connector on your board.). I know at least one MSI GTX 960 is plugged in.

I hope you have the manual. I draw your attention to Page 39, heading MRC Fast Boot, The default is Enabled and you said you used defaults. If you then go to page 51 under the heading CSM it says its default is enabled even through you should not use CSM, according to manual, if Fast Boot enabled. As I read this this is an error. Maybe ASRock has more than one Fast Boot term. If ASRock enables fast boot by default, MRC Heading, shouldn't it be shutting of CSM by default.

Something to investigate.

Caledon Ken, Dec 27, 2016
  13. 1tomse2 Win User

I have no idea when Crosshair Utiliy was updated, but I've had it installed for 1½ year according to "Programs and Features". I chose to uninstall it as a test.
    I did dissable USB Selective Suspend. (New power report still says USB device didn't enter Selectivity suspend)
    I'm using two normal SSD's
    Only using one PCI slot, which is the MSI GTX 960.

I still have the manual for my MSI GTX 960 2GD5, but it's in a storage facillity since I'm in the middel of moving. I'll try to go get it tomorrow.

Could it be a BUS error?

1tomse2, Dec 27, 2016
  14. Upper left corner ===>>>> manual for motherboard so you can see the things I mentioned about MRC and CSM. If this is an error then we would want to correct. Learned you can't fight the product engineers, they dictate the code.
    ASRock > H61M-DG3/USB3

I guess it could be anything but it should still shutdown without having the rug pulled out from under it. Its likely a setting or two. Please check out that Corsair Utility. Likely not the cause on its own. If its a year and half old that is likely just around the first release of Windows. Lots has changed, V1511, V1607. Worth a peak.

What setting did you customize in BIOS for Fan, believe you mentioned you had changed this.

Addition: I could find GTX960 2GD5T on the Canadian MSI site. Couldn't get to world wide site. Wouldn't waste time going to storage, almost nothing in manual. Install it, add software and go. They did mention new drivers maybe available from time to time. For the card I found there are updates. Not that I'm recommending updates.

Think this PCI incompatibility needs to researched.

Caledon Ken, Dec 27, 2016
  15. Did some more reading. Is it possible for you to disconnect all devices from your machine. Modems, printers, scanners, gaming pads, gaming mice, gaming keyboards etc. I assume you have a old mouse and keyboard. Shutdown CUE. Test.

Then start attaching devices slowly and test after each. Read threads and their energy report reads like yours. One fixed by disconnecting a printer, one a USB gaming pad.

Is this a multi monitor setup? If so lets try one.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart. - Similar Threads - Computer can't shutdown

2. Disallow shutdown and enable restart only

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disallow shutdown and enable restart only: How to disallow shutdown and enable restart option only. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disallow-shutdown-and-enable-restart-only/c3d057ed-2dd4-454f-9c2a-a6ca1f3a2d5c
  3. Disallow shutdown and enable restart only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disallow shutdown and enable restart only: How to disallow shutdown and enable restart option only. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disallow-shutdown-and-enable-restart-only/c3d057ed-2dd4-454f-9c2a-a6ca1f3a2d5c
  4. Disallow shutdown and enable restart only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My laptop can't shutdown/sleep/hibernate, only restarts

My laptop can't shutdown/sleep/hibernate, only restarts: Hello! I've been having this problem where my laptop can't shutdown. If I press shutdown, it only restarts. If I press sleep, it restarts too, same with hibernate. For now I just force shutdown my laptop by pressing and holding the power button. Please help. My laptop's...
  6. Shutdown hidden in all power options. Only restart and sleep show.

Shutdown hidden in all power options. Only restart and sleep show.: I am having an issue with a Windows desktop that recently switched to lacking the option to shutdown the PC. The applied GPO shows no change to the settings, and there is no new registry entry to prevent access to the shutdown function. The only account on the PC is a local...
  7. computer restarts after shutdown with mouse or when it goes to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    computer restarts after shutdown with mouse or when it goes to sleep: when my computer goes to sleep it restarts itself a couple second later...the PC revs up very loud and I have to force shutdown...any ideas folks.. 163088
  8. My computer can't restart, shutdown, sign out, ...

My computer can't restart, shutdown, sign out, ...: My computer OS is windows 10. I try to shutdown normally but my computer doesn't turn off. Then I have to cut down the electricity to turn off the computer . p/s: Sorry I'm not good at English....
  9. System won't sleep (correctly) or shutdown--only restart

in Windows 10 Support
    System won't sleep (correctly) or shutdown--only restart: I have, for me, an unusual problem for which I've tried all the usual (and some unusual) fixes. None work. When my computer first boots or restarts, all of the normal methods (idle time, closing lid, or selecting among the power options) produce the right results: sleep,...
  10. Computer won't shutdown or sleep.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer won't shutdown or sleep.: I have installed W10 twice using the update feature. Everything work fine except when I want to shutdown or put the machine to sleep by clicking on those options, the machine makes noise like the HD is working. It then just shuts down and reboots again. The only way I can...