Windows 10: Computer crashed during restart, wordpad document that I saved with 10,000+ words is blank

Discus and support Computer crashed during restart, wordpad document that I saved with 10,000+ words is blank in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had a story I had written in a wordpad document and I saved it before I had to restart because File explorer was being unresponsive. During restart,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JasonZhang7, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Computer crashed during restart, wordpad document that I saved with 10,000+ words is blank

I had a story I had written in a wordpad document and I saved it before I had to restart because File explorer was being unresponsive. During restart, the computer crashed not sure if this is the right terminology but it's the blue background message with the unhappy smiley face.

The wordpad automatically re-opened upon restart but was blank , or so I thought. I could highlight the document, so it looks like my words are still there but hidden. I tried changing text color, didn't help. I saw a post saying to re-open it in Microsoft word, I tried that, and all I got was "[]" symbols everywhere.

How can I recover my document? It's pretty important to me :

:)

JasonZhang7, Jan 7, 2020
  2. WHS
    whs Win User

word documents saved as wordpad documents

Use 'Save as' and choose from the list of options.

Computer crashed during restart, wordpad document that I saved with 10,000+ words is blank [​IMG]

3. word documents saved as wordpad documents

I am using Word 2013 on my laptop. Windows 8 was operating system. Recently upgraded to Windows 10. When I save Word documents now, they are saved as Wordpad documents. (.xml files) Wordpad does not recommend some of the Word formatting and alters the documents.

How do I correct this? I want the save as Word documents, as I did in the past.

Thank you.

desertbronze, Jan 7, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Computer crashed during restart, wordpad document that I saved with 10,000+ words is blank

Wordpad documents being saved to Word

Hi Mike

If RTF documents are opening in Word:

Right click an RTF document, choose 'Open With' - Choose Another App

Important - Check the box marked 'Always use this app to open xxx . . .'

If Wordpad is not in the list, scroll to the bottom and click 'More Apps'

Wordpad should be in that list . . .

Choosing Wordpad form one of those lists will reset the file associations on RTF documents and they should then automatically open in Wordpad . . .

DaveM121, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

Computer crashed during restart, wordpad document that I saved with 10,000+ words is blank

1. Computer crashed during restart, wordpad document that I saved with 10,000+ words is blank - Similar Threads - Computer crashed during

2. WordPad Document Now Blank

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WordPad Document Now Blank: I've been writing for a daily poetry contest and decided to create a quick WordPad document as my copy of some of my more recent submissions, in case there was some error but also because I planned to use the contents in my actual book. I last updated it yesterday and today I...
  3. WordPad Document Now Blank

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WordPad Document Now Blank: I've been writing for a daily poetry contest and decided to create a quick WordPad document as my copy of some of my more recent submissions, in case there was some error but also because I planned to use the contents in my actual book. I last updated it yesterday and today I...
  4. WordPad Document Now Blank

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Wordpad document gone blank

Wordpad document gone blank: Hi, I spent several weeks writing a rich text document in wordpad. Today I went to save the document on my desktop as normal, but is said there wasnt enough space to save it, so I deleted my trash to make more room, and suddenly my document closed and when i opened it again...
  6. Blank Wordpad document

Blank Wordpad document: HELP! So I've recently been using Wordpad to complete my college coursework that is due to be submitted soon. I'd completed half of the coursework and saved it as normal before closing it. A couple of days later to my horror, I opened the file to see that all of the text...
  7. [HELP] Wordpad Document Blank?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [HELP] Wordpad Document Blank?: I was working on a document in Wordpad and then my laptop screen went black.. not sure why. So I force restarted my laptop and then when it booted up, I re-opened the document that I was working on and now it's blank. I know that the space occupied by the text I had before is...
  8. Wordpad documents being saved to Word

Wordpad documents being saved to Word: Whenever I save a document in Wordpad, it gets saved to Word. Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wordpad-documents-being-saved-to-word/b382d304-cf64-43db-9d0b-11d89bfa27e9"
  9. Save a document in WordPad

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Save a document in WordPad: WordPad will NOT let me save a document....I keep getting a message saying the name is not valid no matter what I try to name it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-a-document-in-wordpad/3ec3e6d2-8a72-40eb-8e04-f214344ca462
  10. word documents saved as wordpad documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    word documents saved as wordpad documents: I am using Word 2013 on my laptop. Windows 8 was operating system. Recently upgraded to Windows 10. When I save Word documents now, they are saved as Wordpad documents. (.xml files) Wordpad does not recommend some of the Word formatting and alters the documents. How do I...