Windows 10: Computer crashes when I right click on the desktop and in the file explorer

Discus and support Computer crashes when I right click on the desktop and in the file explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This has been bugging me for almost 3 or 4 months now so if anyone could help that would be great. So as said in the title, when I right click on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kie-ron, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Kie-ron Win User

Computer crashes when I right click on the desktop and in the file explorer

This has been bugging me for almost 3 or 4 months now so if anyone could help that would be great.

So as said in the title, when I right click on either the desktop or in the file explorer the cursor turns to the blue loading animation for a minute then the entire screen will go white for a second and then it will appear to go back to normal. When I right click again however it will just do exactly the same thing.

To "fix" it so far I've just been turning it off and on again.

This doesn't happen all the time but its definitely a regular occurrence and enough to make it almost impossible to work so I really want to get this fixed

Admittedly sometimes the documents shortcut on the task bar doesn't work and I've seen that can sometimes been part of the problem.

I've tried a few things to fix it from things I've found online Can't remember what they were, sorry! and have had no such luck so far so if anyone can help that would be amazing!

:)

Kie-ron, Jul 2, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop

Download: ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows
    NOTE: download version 1.97 or later, else Restart Explorer won't work in step 4

1. This program does not require installation, just right click and run as Administrator
    2. From the menu, click on Options then click on Filter by Extension Type and select Context Menu. Also put check marks as shown

Computer crashes when I right click on the desktop and in the file explorer [​IMG]
    3. Click on the screen, Hold down CTRL Key+A to select all then click on the red button on top left corner to disable all.
    4. Click on the Options again and select Restart Explorer
    5. Now try to right click on desktop to see if it fixes your problem. If it does then start to enable one by one and repeat step 4 until the problem occurs again, that's the offending extension.

topgundcp, Aug 5, 2020
  3. classic20 Win User
    File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop

Hello everyone!

I'm loving the new Windows 10! But this problem is really bugging me.

Whenever I right-click a file anywhere on the Desktop, the File Explorer crashes briefly and then comes right back up. This does not happen anywhere else, only on the Desktop.

I tried going to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*/shellex/ContextMenuHandlers" with RegEdit and removing some of them, but to no avail.

Anything to point me in the right direction or any suggestions?
    Thank you in advance!

classic20, Aug 5, 2020
  4. Namslas90 Win User

Namslas90, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Computer crashes when I right click on the desktop and in the file explorer - Similar Threads - Computer crashes right

2. When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.: When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes. It is treated only if you transfer this exe file to the desktop and click on it there. After that, the error disappears for a while. What to do?error log in windows journal- System - Provider [ Name] Application Error -...
  3. file explorer crashes when i right click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer crashes when i right click: When I right click on a drive in file explorer it closes all windows. Its very annoying. I would prefer to go back to windows 10 right click as a lot of the things i do now require me to do the extra step of right clicking and then going to more options....
  4. file explorer crashes when i right click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer crashes when i right click: When I right click on a drive in file explorer it closes all windows. Its very annoying. I would prefer to go back to windows 10 right click as a lot of the things i do now require me to do the extra step of right clicking and then going to more options....
  5. File Explorer crashes when I right click

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer crashes when I right click: Hello,Everytime I rightclick a document in the File Explorer is crashes the program and soft resets my laptop. Its fine when I click a file. I have had this for a while now, even before Windows 11 was out and, as fa as I know, it isn't because of a virus. I haven't downloaded...
  6. File Explorer crashes when I right click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes when I right click: Hello,Everytime I rightclick a document in the File Explorer is crashes the program and soft resets my laptop. Its fine when I click a file. I have had this for a while now, even before Windows 11 was out and, as fa as I know, it isn't because of a virus. I haven't downloaded...
  7. File Explorer crashes when I right click

8. File Explorer Crashes When Right Clicking

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Crashes When Right Clicking: Long story short, whenever I try to rick click a file, File Explorer crashes. This doesn't happen with folders, and it doesn't happen on the desktop. File Explorer also crashes when I try to move a file by dragging it, and it also sometimes crashes when I go into a folder,...
  9. File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop

File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop: Hello everyone! I'm loving the new Windows 10! But this problem is really bugging me. Whenever I right-click a file anywhere on the Desktop, the File Explorer crashes briefly and then comes right back up. This does not happen anywhere else, only on the Desktop. I...
  10. file explorer crashes when i right click

in Windows 10 Support
    file explorer crashes when i right click: This is the first issue i have had with windows 10 ever since installing it in august. Ever since yesterday whenever i click on a file in the file explorer window it will gray out and stop working. Unlike the average hang this one will stay grayed out for about 5 to 10...