Windows 10: Computer Crashes when playing games

Discus and support Computer Crashes when playing games in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, my computers is crashing when I start up Final Fantasy XIV or World of Warcraft. When it first happen I check the temperature of my GTX 780... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CWEric, Mar 7, 2016.

1. CWEric Win User

Computer Crashes when playing games

Hello, my computers is crashing when I start up Final Fantasy XIV or World of Warcraft. When it first happen I check the temperature of my GTX 780 graphic card and it was overheating at 90 degrees (surprised) so I downclock the GPU putting a cap of how high the temperature can go. This has made the issue go away for about a month but the issue has return with the temperature under control at 70 degrees. When my computer crash it would most of the time just restart but a few time it gave me the BSOD, sometime the BSOD doesn't complete and freezes. If the computer doesn't crash during about the first 5 minutes of the game, then it would not crash during the rest of the game session but tend to crash about 80% of the time I start up the game. Right now I am avoiding the crashing by playing the game at lowest setting giving my graphic card temperature at 60 degrees. Can the data you ask me to provide can confirm that the culprit is the graphic card hardware issue that is the culprit or another hardware like the power supply (Corsair Gaming Series 800-Watt ATX/EPS Bronze) that is having issue?

:)

CWEric, Mar 7, 2016

2. Windows 10 randomly goes to BSOD/crashing

It's not a specific game, and the computer has crashed when not even playing a game. I'm also already running the latest graphics driver.

Mitchell383, Mar 7, 2016
  3. Jodi R. Win User
    Zoo Tycoon 2: Ultimate Collection - crashes when game is saving

I played all the campaign games and did not have any issues with my games crashing when saving. But when I played my first challenge game I encountered this issue.

I was playing the large City Zoo. I was 3 months away from starting year 21, seconds away from a 5-star marine show, 2 extinct animals away from releasing to the wild (to unlock the Quagga), and 2 other challenges away from completing all the challenges
    when I went to save my game and it crashed while saving. This resulted in a corrupted file error message when I tried to load my game after the crash. When I looked at the file, it had 0 bytes. Nearly 2 months of game play gone!

The next day I started another challenge game, this time using the large Amazon Basin Zoo. Two days into game play, and the same thing happened, the game crashed right after I hit the "save game" button. Everything lost!

I've had an occasional game crash when playing, but it never corrupted the file, so no big deal. But this issue is unacceptable.

My computer system is more than adequate to run this game. 64-bit Windows 10. As I stated before, no problems with the campaign games, only the two challenge games I have attempted to play.

Any ideas why this is happening and how I can prevent it from happening again?

Is there an auto backup file that I am not aware of that I could use to restore my games?

Jodi R., Mar 7, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

axe0, Mar 7, 2016
  5. CWEric Win User
    No, the overclock GTX 780 was from EVGA factory the FTW edition, I over overclock it more myself. I just use their EVGA PrecisionX 16 software to cap the temperature. The first time this first started was after I did a full Windows reinstall to fix a different issue. I'll try the update, thank you.

CWEric, Mar 7, 2016
  6. CWEric Win User
    I have tried the BIOS update. Testing at max graphic setting temp cap at 60 fps, at first it seem promising at 1st and 2nd game session. But after that the during the first couple of minutes starting up the game, the computer would either suddenly restart or freeze. When it doesn't crash during the first couple of minutes then the computer is fine throughout the game session.

CWEric, Mar 8, 2016
  7. axe0 New Member
    For the record, a freeze or shutdown/restart isn't like a bluescreen, those crashes can't create dumps because those crashes are different from a bluescreen.

axe0, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer Crashes when playing games - Similar Threads - Computer Crashes playing

2. Computer crashes and restarts when playing games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashes and restarts when playing games.: when playing games my computer shuts down completely and restarts when I look into the event viewer I get the kernel-power error 41. A little later into the event viewer i get WHEA-logger error 18....
  3. Computer crashes and restarts when playing games.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer crashes and restarts when playing games.: when playing games my computer shuts down completely and restarts when I look into the event viewer I get the kernel-power error 41. A little later into the event viewer i get WHEA-logger error 18....
  4. Computer crashes and restarts when playing games.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Computer crash when playing a game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crash when playing a game: I was playing The Long Drive and when i quite the game, reloaded, and hit "load world" my computer frize, and a few seconds later, my monitors went deepfried and crashed.here's the problem windows highlighted. Can someone decipher this and tell me which piece of hardware...
  6. Computer crash when playing a game

Computer crash when playing a game: I was playing The Long Drive and when i quite the game, reloaded, and hit "load world" my computer frize, and a few seconds later, my monitors went deepfried and crashed.here's the problem windows highlighted. Can someone decipher this and tell me which piece of hardware...
  7. Computer crash when playing a game

8. Computer crashes when playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashes when playing games: When playing 3D games Apex, dauntless and dark souls 3 my computer crashes seemingly at random. The only time it crashes consistently is when cutscenes start in the game Nioh.This is an issue that has only started in the last year and has been getting worse recently. It...
  9. Computer crashes when playing games

Computer crashes when playing games: When playing 3D games Apex, dauntless and dark souls 3 my computer crashes seemingly at random. The only time it crashes consistently is when cutscenes start in the game Nioh.This is an issue that has only started in the last year and has been getting worse recently. It...
  10. Computer crashes when playing games