Windows 10: Computer crashing with unusual black screen

Discus and support Computer crashing with unusual black screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey All, Have a weird one that I have never seen before. after about an hour or so of the computer running (just a Dell Dimension E521, 4gb ram, 1TB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by davron94, Jul 15, 2017.

1. davron94 Win User

Computer crashing with unusual black screen

Hey All, Have a weird one that I have never seen before. after about an hour or so of the computer running (just a Dell Dimension E521, 4gb ram, 1TB HDD) the screen goes black and at the top in white letters states:

"Boot from CD:
    No boot device detected, insert system disk and press F1 to continue or press F2 to set up menu."

I ran a chkdsk /F to check the hard drive for errors and came up with nothing. I also did a re-installation of Windows 10, the problem still exists.

any thoughts on what this could be, or is it just the hard drive going out?

:)

davron94, Jul 15, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Computer crashing with black screen after Windows Update

Bro, this is a community forum. Nobody here sent you anything.

To solve a crash you have to know what caused the crash. Usually a crash leaves behind droppings in the form of an error code (which often starts with 0x000 ...) or an error description (which usually LOOKS_LIKE_THIS) that appears on your monitor or in Event
    Viewer.

If you can't think of why your crash happened you have two options:

1- Show your computer to a professional - a real professional, not Microsoft's hired third-party contractor script readers; or

2- Start from scratch with a clean install.

Before you trash talk other people, please consider that maybe, just maybe, you did something wrong? I make mistakes all the time, which is why I backup every day, so I can easily go back in time to before my latest scr*wup.

BulldogXX, Jul 15, 2017
  3. Computer crashing with black screen after Windows Update

Ive had your update last night an now my crashed, black screen, couldn't repair, followed all your bios instructions, nothing worked and I am so furious. How can you people do this to us just before christmas aswell!!

I was running Windows 10, but now it doesn't automatically recognize my key as I've had to format my drive and reinstall Windows. Losing everything.

Im absolutely disgusted.

Give me a contact number so I can speak to a human to get this resolved please!!???

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers

Original title/subject: CRASHED!!!

RichardWilliamson1, Jul 15, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

You have replaced the operating system and checked the drive.
    The drive can still go bad with an unremarkable chkdsk /f as chkdsk is designed to find and then prevent you from reusing bad blocks. Looking in eventvwr will often display that bad blocks were found.
    How old is your computer?
    Has the CMOS battery been checked or replaced?

Please reset the bios.

How to Clear Your Computers CMOS to Reset BIOS Settings:How to Clear Your Computers CMOS to Reset BIOS Settings

Ways to Reset Your BIOS - wikiHow:3 Ways to Reset Your BIOS - wikiHow

Run Sea tools for windows on your drive using SMART, short and long generic tests:

How to use SeaTools for Windows
    http://www.seagate.com/support/downl...ls-win-master/
    How to use SeaTools for Windows

zbook, Jul 15, 2017
  5. davron94 Win User
    Ok, I reset the BIOS, and changed the battery, which was low. Reseated the RAM sticks and tried to run in safe mode to repair. it would not let me get into safe mode, and every time it tried to repair on bootup the screen went black and nothing happened. Now all it does is, again, run through BIOS splashscreen then to the black screen with blue window with spinning dots in a circle.
    So I'm guessing at this point its the hard drive going bad, although its completely silent, but the platters are spinning.

davron94, Jul 18, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    Do you have a hard drive enclosure to place the drive and hook it up to another computer so that the drive can be tested?

The registry repair can be attempted as long as you can boot to the bootable windows 10 iso.

If the registry repair fails there is one more back up method requiring a bootable USB flash drive.

Alternatively you could go straight to deleting the partitions on the drive, formating the drive, and installing the operating system.

zbook, Jul 18, 2017
  7. davron94 Win User
    Where do I get W10 ISO? I upgraded online and don't have a disk.

davron94, Jul 18, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer crashing with unusual black screen - Similar Threads - Computer crashing unusual

2. Computer running slow, black screen crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer running slow, black screen crashing: Computer’s performance is slow and completely shuts down/black screen crashes unexplainably, opening Discord, opening a new tab in my browser, home screen, on bootup, updating drivers… I’ve had this problem for 3 or 4 weeks, last week it worked perfectly for about 2 days then...
  3. Computer running slow, black screen crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer running slow, black screen crashing: Computer’s performance is slow and completely shuts down/black screen crashes unexplainably, opening Discord, opening a new tab in my browser, home screen, on bootup, updating drivers… I’ve had this problem for 3 or 4 weeks, last week it worked perfectly for about 2 days then...
  4. Computer running slow, black screen crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Black screen crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen crash: Been having issues with my monitor loosing signal and my displayports not working without a restart, normally I have to restart it and would only tell me an unexpected shutdown has occurred but today it did it by itself! So proud and it even left an Error in event viewer...
  6. black screen crash

black screen crash: So i bought this game on steam naruto storm 4 and every time i want to open it it give me black screen and crashes so i contacted the creators of the game and they said that the error is called c00000fd. Idk how to fix it pls help me.------------------ System Information...
  7. Occasional Black Screen on Startup + Computer Crashes?

Occasional Black Screen on Startup + Computer Crashes?: Hi, I am experiencing some issues with my computer, which is a windows 10 machine. Sometimes, on startup, I will get a black screen when turning it on. This seems to be becoming more frequent. Secondly, windows has crashed and needed to restart twice over the past week. I...
  8. Computer crash - black screen - windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer crash - black screen - windows 10: Hello - it appears that malware hit our computer and knocked out everything. We inserted another hdd from a healthy computer that is not being used any more. we did a quick format on that drive. The following message comes up when we insert a windows 10 disk or an Acronis...
  9. computer crashes to black screen but computer stays on

computer crashes to black screen but computer stays on: at seemingly random times, whether i was on the computer all day or it started up a few minutes ago my computer will crash to a black screen and immediately restart windows and boot up on its own, i'm worried, what could be the issue?...
  10. Unusually long black screen on boot before log-in screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unusually long black screen on boot before log-in screen: Two days ago I had a total system crash, my entire OS froze and I was forced to turn off the machine. Ever since then when booting there is a black screen that hangs for about 8 seconds, then everything proceeds as normal. I wouldn't be so bothered if the OS was installed...