Windows 10: Computer desktop and other files reset randomly, lost a lot of files

Discus and support Computer desktop and other files reset randomly, lost a lot of files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, I really need some help. My computer had recently began freezing with a loud buzzing sound, and the only way I could fix the problem was to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Telethia, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Telethia Win User

Computer desktop and other files reset randomly, lost a lot of files

Hi all, I really need some help.

My computer had recently began freezing with a loud buzzing sound, and the only way I could fix the problem was to restart my PC until it happened again and repeat. However, I believe I had fixed the problem by changing my power options as some Youtube videos had suggested. I am just mentioning this in case it is relevant to my real problem.

Shutting down my computer off last night, all was good and it followed the usual process of showing the shutting down screen then turning off. However, this morning I turn on my computer to find that all the files and folders from my desktop have disappeared, except for a few programs I had installed such as Google Chrome, Sony Vegas and my VPN. My recycle bin still has the files I put in there. I have wallpaper engine installed and it is still working. All my local disk (CComputer desktop and other files reset randomly, lost a lot of files :) files are still there. But my documents, downloads, pictures, music and videos are all empty. My taskbar has also reset to the default. I lost some important files I had stored within folders on my desktop such as A LOT of school work.

Usually my computer has automatic restore points, but I check now and there are none at all. I desperately need my computer back to how it was. Help please?

:)

Telethia, Oct 25, 2019
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Oct 25, 2019
  3. lost desktop and files

Hi Jon,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have lost files after Windows 10 update. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below question.

• Did you face this issue after upgrading to Windows 10 from previous Windows?
    • Did you face this issue after updating in Windows 10?

I would suggest you to refer the below link and check if it helps finding your files.

After updating your PC to Windows 10, you may be having trouble finding your old files. Here are some things to try.

Refer: Find lost files after the update to Windows 10

Please post us back with more information to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 25, 2019
  4. Computer desktop and other files reset randomly, lost a lot of files

File Lost!!

I had that happen once where I lost a file that was too big to recover, and I couldn't find a utility that could do it, either . . .

I ended up having to take the HDD to CompUSA and have them retrieve the lost info *Eek! Computer desktop and other files reset randomly, lost a lot of files :eek:

imperialreign, Oct 25, 2019
Thema:

Computer desktop and other files reset randomly, lost a lot of files

1. Computer desktop and other files reset randomly, lost a lot of files - Similar Threads - Computer desktop files

2. Lost my desktop files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost my desktop files.: Hello I have lost my desktop files and they aren't in my storage either. This started when logged in an account witch wasn't mine and I couldn't switch account so I transfered my desktop from my real account to the other one. And when I restarted my pc it booted in to my real...
  3. Lost my desktop files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost my desktop files.: Hello I have lost my desktop files and they aren't in my storage either. This started when logged in an account witch wasn't mine and I couldn't switch account so I transfered my desktop from my real account to the other one. And when I restarted my pc it booted in to my real...
  4. Files Randomly Dumping to Desktop

Files Randomly Dumping to Desktop: I am having a really strange issue where files are randomly dumping to my desktop, cluttering it up with a ton of icons. I think it has to deal with the recycle bin could be wrong though?I'm not sure what to do anymore as it is really annoying to have to keep deleting a ton...
  5. Random Files After Resetting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Files After Resetting: So I recently reset my PC, and I was looking at all of the files, and I found these 4 random files. What are they and can I delete them? Was it just caused by the bloatware that Windows 11 downloads? Thank you!...
  6. Random Files After Resetting

Random Files After Resetting: So I recently reset my PC, and I was looking at all of the files, and I found these 4 random files. What are they and can I delete them? Was it just caused by the bloatware that Windows 11 downloads? Thank you!...
  7. Lost files on Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost files on Desktop: Wednesday night I was out. A thunderstorm came through the area and knocked the power out. I had left my computer on and naturally it shut down. The next morning I restarted my computer and noticed that my background screen image had changed from the picture I used to the...
  8. Lost desktop files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost desktop files: Apparently there was a Windows 10 update that was pushed out. All my desktop files and internet shortcuts have been deleted. How/where can I recover them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-desktop-files/20db6b24-3e67-4c01-9e32-a4a40e217f77
  9. File lost on Desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File lost on Desktop: I was creating an image file (png) and I saved it to my desktop. I then went to send it to someone, realized I had forgotten something, then went in to edit it again. I received an error that I could not access the file due to not having permissions, despite being the...
  10. Lost Desktop Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost Desktop Files: I'm worried I may have done something very stupid. I just moved to another country and forgot my extra hard drive, so I didn't back up my files before upgrading to Windows 10. The installation went fine. After the install was done, I tested out a number of programs with no...