Windows 10: Computer does not power on, needs several button presses

Discus and support Computer does not power on, needs several button presses in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My Dell running Windows 10 will not turn back on after shutdown. I press the power button and the keyboard lights come on, but that is all. No logo, no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by caleeallen, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Computer does not power on, needs several button presses

My Dell running Windows 10 will not turn back on after shutdown. I press the power button and the keyboard lights come on, but that is all. No logo, no words of any kind. Just blank screen. I have to press the power button, turning off and on the computer, as many as three times before it will come on. When it does come on, sometimes it asks to restore the webpages and such I was looking at, as if it had shut down improperly.

Drivers and Windows are all updated.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

:)

caleeallen, Dec 31, 2018

2. When I press the power button sleep, hibernated, or power down don't work my screen goes off but not my pc

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

To assist you better, I would like to know when exactly you had received this error. Are you able to boot the computer?

The following steps detail how to change what happens when the power button is pressed.

By default the power button will tell the computer to shut down, if it is not set to shut down, please follow the below steps.

• In the Windows search box enter ‘Power Options’ and click on it when it appears in the list.
    • On the left of the window, click on the ‘Choose what power buttons do’ link
    • Under ‘When I press the power button’ choose the option you want to change it to
      Shut Down.
    • Click ‘Save changes’ to save the changes.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to run Power troubleshooter:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Power.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

6. Check if issue persists.

After performing the power troubleshooter, please perform the steps that has been provided above.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Dec 31, 2018
  3. Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep - Laptop

If your computer does not support Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI), the earlier steps may not be available. In this case, you have press the power button to wake the computer.

FreeBooter, Dec 31, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

Computer does not power on, needs several button presses

Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep - Laptop

I do not have that tab but can still wake it by pressing any key.

cereberus, Dec 31, 2018
Thema:

Computer does not power on, needs several button presses

1. Computer does not power on, needs several button presses - Similar Threads - Computer does power

2. Power Button pressing by itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power Button pressing by itself: A long time ago, I spilled a bit of liquid into the laptop's keyboard, and because of that some keys stopped working, and one of those affected keys is the power button. Got a new keyboard and all that, the problem is the power button is pressing by itself for maybe a...
  3. Power Button pressing by itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power Button pressing by itself: A long time ago, I spilled a bit of liquid into the laptop's keyboard, and because of that some keys stopped working, and one of those affected keys is the power button. Got a new keyboard and all that, the problem is the power button is pressing by itself for maybe a...
  4. Power Button pressing by itself

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows crashes on power button pressed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows crashes on power button pressed: Hello, I have a problem with sleep mode on my Lenovo Yoga C940 14" laptop. Instead of successfully putting the computer to sleep, it seems to return to the active state after I close the lid or try to switch to sleep mode. If I press the power button where I have set the...
  6. Computer keeps freezing, often needing a restart pressing the power button and, less often,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer keeps freezing, often needing a restart pressing the power button and, less often,...: The title is pretty self explainatory. I could be doing anything and then the screen just freezes. Already performed a memory check and nothing was wrong, tried sfc /scannow and it said it fixed something two of the several times I ran it ~5, but it keeps just doing it. Any...
  7. Computer keeps freezing, often needing a restart pressing the power button and, less often,...

Computer keeps freezing, often needing a restart pressing the power button and, less often,...: The title is pretty self explainatory. I could be doing anything and then the screen just freezes. Already performed a memory check and nothing was wrong, tried sfc /scannow and it said it fixed something two of the several times I ran it ~5, but it keeps just doing it. Any...
  8. BSDO after press power button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSDO after press power button: Sometimes, after pressing power button, system didn't boot up.After several minutes. BSOD occurs.memory dump can be found below.https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1u5sNprlZnU2u9tgAi9IrYleR-0v0eTJl?usp=sharingCan someone help to check what cause this BSOD ?Thanks....
  9. BSDO after press power button

BSDO after press power button: Sometimes, after pressing power button, system didn't boot up.After several minutes. BSOD occurs.memory dump can be found below.https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1u5sNprlZnU2u9tgAi9IrYleR-0v0eTJl?usp=sharingCan someone help to check what cause this BSOD ?Thanks....
  10. Computer does not shut down when I press the power button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer does not shut down when I press the power button: Hey So I have set the options to shut down when I press the power button from power option, system settings but when I press the power button, nothing happens. Can anyone give me a solution to this?...