Windows 10: computer does not recognize disk in the optical cd or dvd drives after windows 10 upgrade.

Discus and support computer does not recognize disk in the optical cd or dvd drives after windows 10 upgrade. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; computer shows drives are there and drives have latest drivers installed but will not recognize and cd or dvd disk in drives. Keeps asking for disk to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sifu JH, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Sifu JH Win User

computer does not recognize disk in the optical cd or dvd drives after windows 10 upgrade.

computer shows drives are there and drives have latest drivers installed but will not recognize and cd or dvd disk in drives. Keeps asking for disk to be placed in drives even when they are already in drives. What can I do to make drives read and write disk again

:)

Sifu JH, Aug 31, 2019

2. CD/DVD drive not recognized

---I'm okay with opening latops. I've opened this one 3 times, adding SSD HD and upgrading RAM. I'll be able to try this later on, Friday, probably. With it spinning up when a CD is inserted, I'm not sure this would help. I'd appreciate advice on this.

computer does not recognize disk in the optical cd or dvd drives after windows 10 upgrade. [​IMG]

computer does not recognize disk in the optical cd or dvd drives after windows 10 upgrade. [​IMG]

DellySheCorte, Aug 31, 2019
  3. CD/DVD drive not recognized

First, try inserting a disc in the drive, does it spin up?
    Sometimes, it takes media in the device to be recognized, rare for an optical drive though.

A few other suggestions
    • Try uninstalling the device in Dev mgr, wait 2 or 3 minutes and if Windows doesn't cycle though hardware changes, right click any device and select Scan for Hardware changes.

• You might also want to check File and Folder options in File Explorer
      press the blue file menu,
      select Change folder and Serach options
      select the View tab
      is show empty drives selected?

• It would help members if you could post a screen shot of Dev mgr device properties (post the first 4 tabs)
      If it is an unknown device -post the General tab and the Details.
      On the Details tab, select Hardware IDs from the drop down box

I'm not sure if these suggestions will help. I had a similar issue with a CD drive on a Vista box, turned out to be a hardware issue on the Mobo. The optical drive is really controlled by a few settings (DVD, CD, Writer) and when it doesn't work, it is hard to diagnose.

If the device worked before (recently), it's a Win10 issue, and it might be version specific. There are known issues with AMD graphics drivers, this might extend to the chipset as well - those with Intel boards / CPUs can ignore this part. It's a guess anyway.

If you're comfortable with hardware, you might try removing the optical drive from the box, restarting without it attached, and then shut down, reinstall the optical drive and start up the machine.

Follow instructions in the service manual for your device or on the mfr website.

Slartybart, Aug 31, 2019
  4. computer does not recognize disk in the optical cd or dvd drives after windows 10 upgrade.

WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY UPDATE OPTICAL DISC DRIVE (CD/DVD) NOT WORKING

Hi,

We would like to know more about the issue, kindly clarify the following:

• When you say not working, is your optical disk drive not being detected or not being read/recognized?
    • Is this the first time that this happened or has it happened before?
    • Did the issue appear just right after updating?
    For Windows 10 recovery options, visit this
    link

You can check the
    Compatibility Troubleshooter
    for Windows 10.

Thank you.

Jeraldine Ase, Aug 31, 2019
Thema:

computer does not recognize disk in the optical cd or dvd drives after windows 10 upgrade.

1. computer does not recognize disk in the optical cd or dvd drives after windows 10 upgrade. - Similar Threads - computer does recognize

2. Win 10 Home, version 21H2, does not recognize DVD/CD Optical Disc Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 Home, version 21H2, does not recognize DVD/CD Optical Disc Drive: Dan_de_Lion,1. DVD/CD Optical Disc Drive originally came configured with my Toshiba P750 laptop when purchased and always worked until a recent Win 10 Home Update.2. I followed resolution methods 2, 3, 4 & 5 in link Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other...
  3. CD/DVD drive not recognized after Windows update

CD/DVD drive not recognized after Windows update: After windows installed the last update on my win 10 pro/64 it doesn't recognize my cd/dvd drive at all. Its not listed even in device manager or anywhere at all. It fails to find it when you ask it to locate it. I'm not a geek and have tried all the easier things I could on...
  4. Optical Drive does not recognize cd's to burn

Optical Drive does not recognize cd's to burn: I have a new USB Slim portable Optical Drive and it reads cd's just fine with my Windows 10 laptop, but it will not write to empty cd's. Does anyone have a solution?...
  5. CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows

CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows: I have a Toshiba Satellite L755 Laptop, and when I bought it from my friend, it was still Windows 7 and the DVD/CD drive worked fine, but after I upgraded to Windows 10, when I put in any disc, it doesn't read. I've contacted support multiple times, they tried to help but...
  6. no recognizing the cd/dvd drive.

no recognizing the cd/dvd drive.: my new computeronly 2 weeks old will not see my cd/dvd player. i have tried several different disk and rebooted the computer but still no recognizing the drive...
  7. CD/DVD wont recognize disks.

CD/DVD wont recognize disks.: New win 10 and new dirve .drive shows in 'this computer'. Cant recognize any disks. here is the event log: [img] 32244
  8. CD\DVD CD-ROM Optical drive installed as disk drive 01 NOT initialized

CD\DVD CD-ROM Optical drive installed as disk drive 01 NOT initialized: *Confused Fresh install of Windows 10 on Dell Inspiron M5030 from my KLite USB drive where I have only added the correct, workable AMD-4200 video driver to the normal Windows 10 ISO. Windows 10 is functioning properly EXCEPT my TSST DVD+/-RW TS-L633C shows in Device Manager...
  9. CD/DVD drive not recognized

CD/DVD drive not recognized: I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 8. My Dell laptop does not see the DVD drive. I had no success getting the drive to work in Windows 8 and (maybe of course) it doesnt see it now. This seems to be a common problem I have tried numerous fixes but have not had...
  10. CD/DVD Drive not recognized after installing windows 10

CD/DVD Drive not recognized after installing windows 10: The DVD drive worked fine prior to installing Win 10 - now the computer doesn't recognize it. Win 10 apparently thinks it is a removable drive. The CD-DVD drive is recognized in BIOS. How do I diagnose the problem?? Thanks 40469

Users found this page by searching for:

1. window 10 does recognize interal computer optical drive