Windows 10: Computer does not recognize external hard drive

Discus and support Computer does not recognize external hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all,I googled this but I really can't find an answer,hear goes.I have 2 seagate external hard drives with all my movies and tv shows.I plug it into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by eore, Aug 15, 2017.

1. eore Win User

Computer does not recognize external hard drive

Hi all,I googled this but I really can't find an answer,hear goes.I have 2 seagate external hard drives with
    all my movies and tv shows.I plug it into my dvd player and watch them on my smart tv.I bought a new one which says seagate external expansion drive.It is not recognized when I plug into the dvd player.Did
    I make a boo-boo and buy the wrong one.Any help would be appreciated,thank-you.

:)

2. windows 10 wont recognize my dvd drive, or usb external hard drive, or phone. How can i fix it?

I am having a problem with laptop recognizing my external hard drive. I have a new laptop with windows 10. When I try to use external hard drive, sometimes it works, most of time it does not. On 'This PC' on computer, drive reads 'unavailable'.

Took laptop and external hard drive to computer place. They said windows 10 may have a glitch recognizing external hard drive.

Is there a fix?

Melody

MelodyWalcott, Aug 15, 2017
  3. KK48 Win User
    Automatic backups

trying to setup automatic back up to external hard drive:

when entering "update & security" then backup it gives the option to "add a drive". It recognizes a removable sc card but does not recognize my external hard drive. The file manager does recognize external hard drive.

How can I get the drive recognized in "add a drive?" I have formatted the drive using ntfs.

4. cereberus Win User

Does smart tv have a direct usb socket?

Also many dvd players only recognise fat32 drives, and your drives are probably formatted as ntfs, or maybe drive is not yet initialised yet.

Check format of existing drives, and also see if you can see new drive ok on a pc. May just need to be initialised.

Not sure if drive being mbr or gpt formatted will be an issue. If drive is 2TB or less, I would make sure they are formatted as MBR drives.

cereberus, Aug 15, 2017
  5. eore Win User
    Yes,a boatload of usb ports on tv and puter recognizes new external.Checked my 2 old ones and the new one and all are
    ntfs.All externals are 4terabytes and the 2 previous ones work but not the new one,don't understand it.I just plugged it in to one of the usb ports on the tv and it works.Guess I ain't to bright.Guess that's why they call it a smart tv,never thought to look.Thank-you so much for pointing me in the right direction.

6. Bree New Member
    There remains one possible difference. Check to see if the new one is a GPT partition and the old (working) ones are MBR. Your DVD player may only understand MBR partitions.

You can check in Disk Manager. Right-click on the disk disk's name (Disk 1, Disk 2, etc) to the left of the display of partition(s) for each drive. Select 'Properties'. The 'Volumes' tab will tell you the partition style.

7. eore Win User
    You are correct,2 old ones are MBR and the new one is GPT.Now is there anything I can do about it.

8. Berton Win User

One other thing to check, my new 4TB USB 3.0 drive came formatted as exFAT.

Berton, Aug 16, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
  10. eore Win User
    Will try it and thanks to everyone for the help,much appreciated.Will let you know how I made out,Tony.

11. eore Win User
    Here is an update,formatted to mbr,works good and dvd player recognizes it.One drawback,I don't know if I did something wrong but I followed the tutorial to the letter.Formatted only 2 terabytes,the rest is unallocated and probably unusable but that's ok.

12. Berton Win User
    Have you tried Disk Management to create a new Primary partition in the remaining unallocated space?

Berton, Aug 16, 2017
  13. eore Win User

Yes,everything is greyed out.Just a thought,didn't I read somewhere that 2 gigabytes is the limit for MBR.

14. eore Win User
    Yes,I have,everything is greyed out.Don't know how true this is but googled it and says only 2 terabytes on MBR.

15. eore Win User
    Yes I have but everything is greyed out.I googled it and says there is a 2.2terabyte limit on MBR.Would this be true.

Thema:

1. Computer does not recognize external hard drive - Similar Threads - Computer does recognize

2. my computer does not recognize an external drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my computer does not recognize an external drive.: I have attached an external hard drive via a usb port but this computer does not recognize the drive. What am I doing wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-does-not-recognize-an-external-drive/bcc73174-e3ee-4198-8b4a-631207a46f1a
  3. external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not recognized: i recentley came accross a hard drive i had from and old Acer laptop, i think it had windows 7 or 8 on it, so i bought a SATA to USB 3.0, 2.5 inc case and plugged it in to the mac that i have been using for 3 years now, in finder there it was marked Acer open it up and could...
  4. External Hard Drives Not Recognized

External Hard Drives Not Recognized: We have just purchased a desktop unit and a touchscreen laptop and in both cases the external hard drives that were attached are no longer recognized by the new computers. Both of the computers have received all Windows Updates. I have downloaded the driver software and...
  5. External Hard drive Not recognized

External Hard drive Not recognized: The device I am trying to install is an external hard drive I purchased from thee MAC store Backup Plus Portable Drive. I have tried all three methods stated above and non of them worked for me. In particular in regards to method 3 I have downloaded and installed the...
  6. External hard drive not recognized in My Computer

External hard drive not recognized in My Computer: I have a USB External hard drive which is not showing up in My Computer although it was formerly. What can I do to correct this or access my data on it. I'm using Win10 with the latest updates. Thanks....
  7. Windows does not recognize my external hard drive

Windows does not recognize my external hard drive: Windows 10 used to recognize my external hard drive when i plugged it in to the USB port. Suddenly, it doesn't. How do I get it to see the external drive?...
  8. external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external hard drive not recognized: I had storage spaces From windows 8.1 that computer went down I moved Storage spaces to another computer. windows 10 machine. Everything works. I was able to Copy those files to another drives. now I want to reuse those drives but only let me rename it not to remove. I...
  9. My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive

My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive: My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive. I've tried to go into Disk Management and I cannot find anything that helps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-does-not-recognize-my-wd-external-hard/aa33b279-5a52-46cb-b976-51aed92b90c1
  10. external hard drive not recognized

external hard drive not recognized: I have two Western Digital 300GB, USB3, external drives. Suddenly both are not recognized by Windows. 1) Neither appear as a drive in File Explorer 2) Device Manager reports that the "device is working properly", and the drivers are up to date. There is a message in...