Windows 10: Computer doesn't recognize it when I insert a CD or DVD

Discus and support Computer doesn't recognize it when I insert a CD or DVD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When I insert a DVD or CD into the external CVS Player attached to my computer, there is no response, so I am unable to play or record discs. How can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Norman Blackwell, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Computer doesn't recognize it when I insert a CD or DVD

When I insert a DVD or CD into the external CVS Player attached to my computer, there is no response, so I am unable to play or record discs. How can I correct this situation so that my pc acknowledges a disc or whatever else I might might want to enter. Windows 10, HP EliteDesk Computer.

:)

Norman Blackwell, Apr 16, 2020

2. CD/DVD drive not recognized

---I'm okay with opening latops. I've opened this one 3 times, adding SSD HD and upgrading RAM. I'll be able to try this later on, Friday, probably. With it spinning up when a CD is inserted, I'm not sure this would help. I'd appreciate advice on this.

Computer doesn't recognize it when I insert a CD or DVD [​IMG]

DellySheCorte, Apr 16, 2020
  3. CD/DVD drive not recognized

First, try inserting a disc in the drive, does it spin up?
    Sometimes, it takes media in the device to be recognized, rare for an optical drive though.

A few other suggestions
    • Try uninstalling the device in Dev mgr, wait 2 or 3 minutes and if Windows doesn't cycle though hardware changes, right click any device and select Scan for Hardware changes.

• You might also want to check File and Folder options in File Explorer
      press the blue file menu,
      select Change folder and Serach options
      select the View tab
      is show empty drives selected?

• It would help members if you could post a screen shot of Dev mgr device properties (post the first 4 tabs)
      If it is an unknown device -post the General tab and the Details.
      On the Details tab, select Hardware IDs from the drop down box

I'm not sure if these suggestions will help. I had a similar issue with a CD drive on a Vista box, turned out to be a hardware issue on the Mobo. The optical drive is really controlled by a few settings (DVD, CD, Writer) and when it doesn't work, it is hard to diagnose.

If the device worked before (recently), it's a Win10 issue, and it might be version specific. There are known issues with AMD graphics drivers, this might extend to the chipset as well - those with Intel boards / CPUs can ignore this part. It's a guess anyway.

If you're comfortable with hardware, you might try removing the optical drive from the box, restarting without it attached, and then shut down, reinstall the optical drive and start up the machine.

Follow instructions in the service manual for your device or on the mfr website.

Slartybart, Apr 16, 2020
  4. Nofsdad Win User

Computer doesn't recognize it when I insert a CD or DVD

No longer recognizes CD/DVD drive

Since receiving the Win 10 Home upgrade my computer no longer recognizes the DVD drive. It doesn't show in Device Manger or in the device list in This PC although it does spin up if you insert media into it. I've tried all the suggested remedies except messing with the registry and nothing works. This is one of several problems I've had with device drivers since the upgrade.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    AMD FX-4130 3.80Ghz
    8Gb Installed memory

Nofsdad, Apr 16, 2020
Thema:

Computer doesn't recognize it when I insert a CD or DVD

1. Computer doesn't recognize it when I insert a CD or DVD - Similar Threads - Computer doesn't recognize

2. External DVD player disconnects when CD/DVD is inserted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External DVD player disconnects when CD/DVD is inserted: My external DVD player is detected on Windows 10 when plugged in, but when I insert a CD or DVD it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting with no reason. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with only one usb port. It actually worked the first time I used it, but now it doesn't if...
  3. External DVD player disconnects when CD/DVD is inserted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External DVD player disconnects when CD/DVD is inserted: My external DVD player is detected on Windows 10 when plugged in, but when I insert a CD or DVD it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting with no reason. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with only one usb port. It actually worked the first time I used it, but now it doesn't if...
  4. External DVD player disconnects when CD/DVD is inserted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. CD/DVD not Recognized

CD/DVD not Recognized: I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 desktop that doesn't see the DVD/CD player. I think this happened after one of one of the Windows Update. The CD/DVD is shown in the BIOS. When I go into device manager I see the CD/DVD. I then uninstalled the device, restarted the PC and it...
  6. DVD/CD-Drive doesn't recognize any DVDs

DVD/CD-Drive doesn't recognize any DVDs: I have an HP 8300 Elite Small Form Factor Desktop Computer, Intel Core i5-3470 Quad core It came with a stock HP CDDVDW SH-216BB DVD/CD-Drive I am running Windows 10 I cannot get the drive to recognize ANY DVDs. When I insert the disc, it attempts to read for a while and...
  7. My CD/DVD drive will sometimes not recognize or play a CD when inserted, why?

My CD/DVD drive will sometimes not recognize or play a CD when inserted, why?: My CD/DVD drive in my desktop computer (HP) will sometimes not do anything when I insert a CD. At times, when I attempt to open it by the use of file manager, it will open the drive, as if to "throw out" the CD, One CD I tried to use was a new program I bought. I tried it...
  8. blank DVD-R is not recognized when inserted in DVD burner

blank DVD-R is not recognized when inserted in DVD burner: I’m running windows 10. In the past I’ve burned slides and videos onto blank DVD –R discs using Explorer and NERO. I’ve also burned slides onto CD-R discs. Now, for no apparent reason, neither of my 2 DVD drives will recognize a blank DVD-R disc. I’ve used blank SONY discs...
  9. Wrong icon when I insert a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM

Wrong icon when I insert a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM: Help me out here, each time I insert a DVD into my DVD player I get the wrong icon (yes, earlier today I installed Mafia III and it stayed that way. It's not supposed to...) How can I get my old icon back? As you can see, it doesn't match. Each game disc gives me the...
  10. Auto play on inserting a dvd or cd

Auto play on inserting a dvd or cd: Good evening to all. I decided to make an image of my C drive on my windows ten spare laptop,Using the free Macrium Reflect software. followed all the info on how to proceed with the software,It all went well I burnt the recovery disc as directed. Now this is where...