Windows 10: Computer freeze on startup

Discus and support Computer freeze on startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, So I decided to help my brother-in-law with his computer problems and I can't seem to find a fix. He installed Windows 10 creator's update a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jmasterprime, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Computer freeze on startup

Hello,

So I decided to help my brother-in-law with his computer problems and I can't seem to find a fix. He installed Windows 10 creator's update a few months ago and has been experiencing problems with freezes upon starting the computer, that have made it impossible to start the computer except in safe mode.

I'm no expert but, assuming that the creator's update was the problem, I decided to try to reset the computer to the original windows 10, but found that the freeze (which occurs on the load screen displaying the computer manufacturer logo) happens when restarts after the reset as well.

After that I decided a clean install was probably a better bet, so I downloaded windows 10 on a USB drive and proceeded to reinstall the operating system from the flash drive. Everything went smoothly until the computer restarted after the installation; it once again froze on startup.

I'm clearly in somewhat over my head and I'm starting to suspect this might be a hardware issue, since it's clearly impossible to boot the computer even when the creator's update is not installed. I would be very grateful for any help. Thoughts/advice?

The computer is a Toshiba, approximately 2 years old, running Windows 10 64x.

:)

jmasterprime, Oct 31, 2017
  2. JamesJoey Win User

Computer Freezes on Startup

I disabled Fast Startup and it starts fine now.

JamesJoey, Oct 31, 2017
  3. JamesJoey Win User
    Computer Freezes on Startup

The system starts fine in Safe Mode.

Was wondering if someone can suggest where I go from here.

I'm talking to myself again.

Is it my breath??

JamesJoey, Oct 31, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Computer freeze on startup

philc43, Oct 31, 2017
  5. Thanks you for your quick answer *Smile

Unfortunately I'm not sure it helps since I can't start the computer at the moment (I can however acces the Recovery environment), however I have made some progress with regards to figuring out the problem.

So, new question: I once again tried performing a clean install and the computer once again crashed, but this time with a BSoD saying CLOCK_WATCHDOG_ERROR. Googled it and it from what I can gather it is either a harware issue or a BIOS issue. Is there a good way to update the BIOS from the Recovery environment (since I'm unable to boot Windows 10 after installation)? Can you suggest another way I might try to solve this problem?

Thanks again for your time and your assistance *Smile

jmasterprime, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Computer freeze on startup

1. Computer freeze on startup - Similar Threads - Computer freeze startup

2. Computer freezing and crashing in windows + during startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezing and crashing in windows + during startup: Hello everyone,for a while now my computer has been freezing and crashing at random intervals while in use. It started pretty tame with maybe 1 or 2 crashes per week, but since then it's developed into something much worse, crashing at least 4 times a day. This problem...
  3. Computer freezing and crashing in windows + during startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezing and crashing in windows + during startup: Hello everyone,for a while now my computer has been freezing and crashing at random intervals while in use. It started pretty tame with maybe 1 or 2 crashes per week, but since then it's developed into something much worse, crashing at least 4 times a day. This problem...
  4. Computer freezing and crashing in windows + during startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Computer freezes and crashes right after startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezes and crashes right after startup: So I have an Omen 15 laptop. It runs beautifully.However today after I downloaded blizzard and the overwatch game, it has constantly frozen up and crashed afterwards. I have no idea why it is doing this since I’ve had overwatch on my computer before and nothing has happened...
  6. help: computer freezing during startup

help: computer freezing during startup: Hi, I've got a big mystery problem and could really use some help--I turned on my computer Lenovo 2018 ThinkPad the other day, left the room, and it was frozen when I came back in so I turned if off and tried to turn it back on again. It kept freezing during the booting...
  7. Computer immediately freezes at startup/login screen

Computer immediately freezes at startup/login screen: I have been using my Pc for about 2 years and had no real problems. However recently i went to bed with my computer working fine and woke up to getting to the login screen and it immediately freezing. Done multiple things like removing ram trying other ram and memory...
  8. Computer Freezes at Startup

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Computer Freezes at Startup: When I shut my computer down and then I turn it back on it freezes at the Windows logo screen. (the back screen with nothing but the windows logo in the center). I'll long press the power button until it shuts off and then pressdthe power button it starts up ok. This...
  9. Computer freezes/crashes at Windows logo (startup)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer freezes/crashes at Windows logo (startup): (TL;DR:I have recently been facing random freezes on my computer. It is not OS related as it may freeze before POST or BIOS. I concluded that problem was either overheating or PSU (previously tested RAM with memtest86 and WMD). Installed SpeedFan but it did not help so I...
  10. Computer freezing/hanging on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer freezing/hanging on startup: Whenever I turn my computer on it will either freeze or hang on the startup screen with the logo and the dots. I've had Windows 10 for around 2 months but I've never had this problem until a few days ago. I've tried start-up repair, system restore and clean booting but they...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. one drive causes my Dell computer to freeze upon startup