Windows 10: Computer freezes and FPS drops while playing games

Discus and support Computer freezes and FPS drops while playing games in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; http://prntscr.com/m78poi I'm using the above SSD, with a fresh install of windows 10 home, build 1809, which I switched to after I got this SSD. On... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Abstractcreeper, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Computer freezes and FPS drops while playing games

http://prntscr.com/m78poi I'm using the above SSD, with a fresh install of windows 10 home, build 1809, which I switched to after I got this SSD. On idle, my screen will freeze for less than a second, for no reason, and it becomes worse during games, with drops down to 0 FPS which ruin otherwise fine gameplay. specs are http://prntscr.com/m78pu6 CPU and GPU are freshly repasted, thermals are never above 45c, drivers are up to date, I used samsung magician, I disabled game mode then enabled it when that didnt work, I used a memcache cleaner. http://prntscr.com/m6t1se Looks like this when it stutters.

***Modified title from: Stuttering on windows 10***

:)

Abstractcreeper, Jan 16, 2019

2. FPS drop in games

I saw also fps drops with some DX9 games at least since the anniversary update (I even did a fresh install but was the same), the only DX9 game that I play that had fps issues was 4Story (some had no changes, for example TERA, Final Fantasy XIII...), I usually
    had 20-30fps minimum and it runs at 1fps or even lower.

The only way I found to play it was to change the d3d9.dll with the version of it before the anniversary update. A friend also had fps drops in CS:GO with w10 anniversary, so I think the problem is with that file and it should be fixed... There are posts
    that talk about disabling Game DVR in the XBOX app, but since my computer does not meet the requirements I didn't test it.

Daniel_94PT, Jan 16, 2019
  3. kirillkh Win User
    FPS drops when playing video in background

I am trying to understand why I experience FPS drops in demanding games when a video is playing in background and how to fix it. My particular setup (see the specs at the bottom): two monitors in extended desktop mode, the primary monitor connected via DisplayPort to an AMD R9 390 video card, the other via DVI alternatively to the on-die Intel HD 4600 graphics output or to the R9 390's DVI output.

I will demonstrate the problem with Witcher 3 game, but the same problem occurs with at least one other game that I tried - World of Tanks (which is where the issue actually matters, as sometimes I put on music from YouTube while in game). In all the experiments below I run Witcher 3 on my primary monitor in windowed full-screen mode and measure the FPS in it with FRAPS. To guarantee stable FPS, I put the game on pause (by pressing ESC). I also set affinity of the Witcher 3 process to the first 3 cores and set the affinity of other applications to the 4th core. The CPU load has remained stable on cores 1-3 throughout the tests at 45-50%.

Baseline test when the game is not running: CPU load is at ~0% on cores 1-3 and ~5% on core 4.
    Baseline test when the game is running, but no video being played in parallel: stable 58 FPS, CPU load: ~10% on core 4.

First batch of tests: the secondary monitor is connected to the R9 390.

1. 1080p YouTube HTML5 video running on the secondary monitor (in
      Chrome or Firefox): ~48 FPS, CPU load: ~50% on core 4.
    2. The same YouTube video running on the primary monitor on top of the game:
      same results as in (1).
    3. SMPlayer playing a 1024x426 AVC video on the
      secondary monitor: ~48 FPS, CPU load: ~25% on core 4.

Second batch of tests: the secondary monitor is connected to HD 4600.

1. 1080p YouTube HTML5 video running on the secondary monitor (in Chrome or Firefox): ~44 FPS, CPU load: ~50% on core 4.
    2. The same YouTube video running on the primary monitor on top of the game: ~48 FPS, CPU load: ~50% on core 4.
    3. SMPlayer playing a 1024x426 AVC video on the secondary monitor: ~50 FPS, CPU load: ~25% on core 4.

Now, one thing I noticed is that performance varies depending on whether the game window is focused or not. The benchmarks above are given for the case when the game window is focused. If the game window is focused, I see clear choppiness in video playback (both in YouTube and in SMPlayer). If another window is focused, video playback is smooth, but game FPS drops more.

My specs: Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4690K, Gigabyte Z97-D3H, 8Gb RAM, R9 390 video card. The primary monitor (connected to R9 390) runs at 1920x1200, the secondary at 1600x1200.

EDIT: I took a music-only YouTube and tried to play it in various resolutions from 240p to 1080p. The FPS dropped gradually from 58 to 48 FPS as I increased the resolution.

kirillkh, Jan 16, 2019
  4. Computer freezes and FPS drops while playing games

drop fps every game

Hi,

You can check Preeti Patel's answer on this
    link
    . Some users found her answer helpful. We suggest that you also try to follow the steps she provided and let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Lov Dollente, Jan 16, 2019
Thema:

Computer freezes and FPS drops while playing games

1. Computer freezes and FPS drops while playing games - Similar Threads - Computer freezes FPS

2. Fps drop in games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fps drop in games: so as the title says , i have been facing fps drops in games. for example sekiro which was working fine last year is currently unplayable because after say 5 minutes the fps drop from 60 to 30. I open up my task manager to see whats wrong and everythings fine. I checked using...
  3. fps suddenly drops while playing games , so does the cpu usage drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fps suddenly drops while playing games , so does the cpu usage drop: as the title mentioned , my cpu usage drops which coincides with sudden frame drops in my games too. this has been happening on not so demanding , age old titles like dragons dogma etc. totally frustrated and I've tried several things at this point to deal with it. my specs...
  4. fps suddenly drops while playing games , so does the cpu usage drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    fps suddenly drops while playing games , so does the cpu usage drop: as the title mentioned , my cpu usage drops which coincides with sudden frame drops in my games too. this has been happening on not so demanding , age old titles like dragons dogma etc. totally frustrated and I've tried several things at this point to deal with it. my specs...
  5. FPS drop in games

FPS drop in games: windows updates are causing fps drops down to 20 - 10 fps in games that used to run at 80 -100 fps. I have tried every single fix out there. i've tried several different graphics driver versions, reinstalling windows, even a complete factory reset . specs - Lenovo legion 5...
  6. Sudden drop in fps while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden drop in fps while gaming: So I play this game called VALORANT on my HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop which is about more than a year old and for a few weeks I am experiencing sudden frame drops while playing. It runs fine for a few moments and then again I experience the frame drops. I tried turning off my...
  7. Sudden drop in fps while gaming

Sudden drop in fps while gaming: So I play this game called VALORANT on my HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop which is about more than a year old and for a few weeks I am experiencing sudden frame drops while playing. It runs fine for a few moments and then again I experience the frame drops. I tried turning off my...
  8. computer freezes while playing games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    computer freezes while playing games: I decided to take my computer apart to clean it then put it back together and after I put it together whenever I play some games it freezes and on occasion makes a buzzing sound in my headphones it also seems to crash faster if I am in a discord call or playing a YouTube...
  9. FPS drops and system crash issue while playing games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    FPS drops and system crash issue while playing games: As above. It's just impossible to play anything.. If I start streaming then the game just freezes all together.. From playing @ more than 70fps on a fast paced game with the highest settings I can even lower the settings to minimum and my FPS just drops to 30 average and...
  10. FPS drops and Screen flicker while playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FPS drops and Screen flicker while playing games: I am trying my best to explain, what is my problem. After a several months, i'm having a trouble in games (such as Rainbow Six Siege, CS:GO, F1 2015 etc.). After launching the game, the FPS drops down and the screen starts flashing and flickering. Some games worked while i...