Windows 10: Computer freezes but mouse still moves and computer is still on

Discus and support Computer freezes but mouse still moves and computer is still on in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, My PC keeps freezing up where nothing will work -- Office apps might open but not close, other files/folders won't open if clicked on. Yet my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SV_1972, Dec 29, 2020.

1. SV_1972 Win User

Computer freezes but mouse still moves and computer is still on

Hello,

My PC keeps freezing up where nothing will work -- Office apps might open but not close, other files/folders won't open if clicked on. Yet my mouse will still move and my PC is still "on".

I have brand new parts in my PC -- new RAM, new graphics card, new processor, new power supply, new motherboard -- yet this is still happening. It freezes where ctrl-alt-del will not work, pressing ESC won't work, nothing works except rebooting the computer manually.

I've seen some articles where this might be a Windows 10 issue, but not sure how to fix.

Any ideas would be really great -- thank you!

SV

:)

SV_1972, Dec 29, 2020

2. Computer and mouse freeze

Hi

There are several reasons that could have cause your keyboard and mouse to freeze. To know more about the issue, we will ask some questions to help us:

• Were there recent changes made before the issue occurred?
    • What are the steps that you've done so far to know where the issue is coming from?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you refer to this article:
    Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows
    for us to check all setting needed to help us in resolving your issue.

Let us know about the update.

Kristine Som, Dec 29, 2020
  3. Mayra Aqu Win User
    Windows 10 Computer Randomly Freezes

Hi,

Listed below are some possibilities why the computer keeps on freezing:

• Outdated drivers.
    • Virus and malware.
    • Corrupted system files.

We suggest performing the steps on this article that can help resolve the issue.

Get back to us if you have other concerns.

Mayra Aqu, Dec 29, 2020
  4. Computer freezes but mouse still moves and computer is still on

After shutting down the system, moving mouse will turn on the computer

Hi Fatboi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Let me help you to fix the issue

To understand the issue better, I would like to know what is the make and model of the computer?

The issue you are facing could be due to the mouse/display driver is being outdated. Let’s try the simple troubleshooting methods and check if it helps resolving the issue.

Method 1.

For the issue with mouse try the below steps and check if this helps.

Step 1.

I would suggest you to run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.

• Click on Hardware and sound under Troubleshoot computer problems.

• Click on Hardware and devices under Devices.

• Click on Advanced on the Hardware and devices dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).
    • Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    Also follow the below methods to update mouse driver.

Step 2.

I recommend you to update the USB mouse driver manually and check. Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + R and type
      devmgmt.msc
      and hit the Enter.

• Go into Device Manager and click on
      Mice and other pointing devices

• Right click on the Mouse and click on properties.
    • Now click on Driver tab and locate for the Update Driver and click on it.
    Method 2.

I suggest you to update the Display driver from Device Manager manually and check if this helps. Follow the below steps:

• Press (Windows key + X) and click on “Device Manager”.

• Expand “Display Adaptor”.

• Right click on the driver device and select
      update.

• Once update is done, restart the computer.
    If the above method did not help to fix the issue, try the below method.

Method 3.

Go to the computer manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for all the devices on the computer and then install them by following the instructions given in the website. And let us know the status.

Hope it helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

Computer freezes but mouse still moves and computer is still on

1. Computer freezes but mouse still moves and computer is still on - Similar Threads - Computer freezes mouse

2. Computer freezing, can still move my mouse but can't click anything.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezing, can still move my mouse but can't click anything.: Today, I was on Discord and playing The Sims 4 at the same time. My computer was behaving fine until I went to click the minimize button on Discord, then I heard a Windows error sound and my entire computer froze. I was really confused and then tried to move the mouse, and it...
  3. Computer freezing, can still move my mouse but can't click anything.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezing, can still move my mouse but can't click anything.: Today, I was on Discord and playing The Sims 4 at the same time. My computer was behaving fine until I went to click the minimize button on Discord, then I heard a Windows error sound and my entire computer froze. I was really confused and then tried to move the mouse, and it...
  4. Computer freezing, can still move my mouse but can't click anything.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Display freezes, but mouse still moves

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display freezes, but mouse still moves: I'm having a Dell G3 3579 laptop, and recently, there's an issue of the screen freezing up, but the mouse still move, and everything else works just fine for a few mins, until the laptop totally freezes up.I've done the hardware tests, and didnt get any kind of error. Ran a...
  6. Display freezes, but mouse still moves

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display freezes, but mouse still moves: I'm having a Dell G3 3579 laptop, and recently, there's an issue of the screen freezing up, but the mouse still move, and everything else works just fine for a few mins, until the laptop totally freezes up.I've done the hardware tests, and didnt get any kind of error. Ran a...
  7. Computer freezing but mouse cursor still functions

Computer freezing but mouse cursor still functions: I'm having a problem with Windows 10 freezing at random times. It happens when I'm playing a game or just being idle. The mouse pointer will still move, and I'm able to open the start menu but when clicking buttons and trying to open the task manager, nothing actually...
  8. Computer freezes but mouse still moves

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes but mouse still moves: My computer has been freezing to where all my apps don't respond if I open any game BUT destiny 2 on the lowest settings. By freezing I mean I'm able to move my apps and minimize but can't close them. Also in discord my voice calls all stop taking audio and nothing with in...
  9. Computer is frozen But mouse still moves

Computer is frozen But mouse still moves: My computer is frozen on the whole screen. I can move the mouse around but I can't click anything. This happened a few times now. In the past, I pressed the reboot button of the computer then everything was back. But I had a bad result after restarted the computer. The Word...
  10. Windows computer freezes but I can still move my mouse.

Windows computer freezes but I can still move my mouse.: Hello I am having a problem that has been getting worse recently. My computer has been freezing, I can still move my mouse but cannot interact with anything else. It starts whenever I use the computer for at least 20 minutes it will freeze up an application. I can briefly...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. screen froze but mouse moves

2. windows screen frozen but mouse moves

3. Pc frozen but mouse still moves

4. Os frozen but mouse still moves,
  5. app freezes mouse leeps.moving,
  6. pc freezes but my mouse is working,
  7. windows frozen but mouse moves,
  8. computer frozen but mouse still moves,
  9. windows 10 freezes randomly mouse still works,
  10. computer screen frozen but mouse moves,
  11. Computer freezes but mouse still moves,