Windows 10: Computer freezes/crashes at Windows logo (startup)

Discus and support Computer freezes/crashes at Windows logo (startup) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; (TL;DR:I have recently been facing random freezes on my computer. It is not OS related as it may freeze before POST or BIOS. I concluded that problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MosaicMars, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Computer freezes/crashes at Windows logo (startup)

(TL;DR:I have recently been facing random freezes on my computer. It is not OS related as it may freeze before POST or BIOS. I concluded that problem was either overheating or PSU (previously tested RAM with memtest86 and WMD). Installed SpeedFan but it did not help so I uninstalled. After uninstalling, it did not reset my fan speeds and my computer was extremely quiet. I decided to reset BIOS to default settings and it reset my fan speeds, but now Windows is stuck on startup logo. Automatic Repair does not function however safe mode does. Using safe mode, I used "sfc /scannow" and it fixed a couple of problems. However, using "chkdsk C: /f /r" stops at 11% and computer seems to freeze.) Specifications are in the 1st paragraph of the post.

Hello TenForums members,

My computer is custom-built from a local retailer. It features an Intel i3 Processor with a CPU fan (model number unknown, as the computer will not boot *Sad) and an ASUS motherboard. There are 2 x 2GB memory sticks on the computer (a total of 4GB). It is currently running Windows 10 Pro (64-bit).
    For more in-depth specs, scroll down to the bottom of this post and click "My System Specs".

For half a month, I have been facing unpredictable freezes on my computer. I determined that the problem was not OS related, as the computer may freeze before POST or the BIOS logo. I can still consistently hear the PSU, but the fans completely turn off and the computer becomes extremely quiet. I performed a memory diagnostic test (WMD, memtest86, memtest86+) to ensure that my RAM was not faulty. I then researched and concluded on that my computer either had a bad PSU, or was overheating.

To further crack down the problem, I installed SpeedFan on my computer to address overheating. My temperatures were safe and I did not find any problems (CPU, System, stayed around 30C). I adjusted the fan speed to a low speed to observe if it would crash, but it did not. However, after using low-intensive programs (such as Skype, or Google Chrome with 5 tabs) my computer crashed again. I decided to uninstall SpeedFan and install HWMonitor instead. However, uninstalling SpeedFan did not reset my fan speed. I decided to check the BIOS configuration settings, where I found that that my fan speeds were set to CUSTOM. I reset the BIOS to default settings and restarted the computer.

Suddenly, the computer crashed at the Windows logo and would not boot into the OS. The computer continuously restarted until I was met with the "Diagnosing PC" text. The computer failed to diagnose my computer, and I left with a "Troubleshooting Problems" menu. I first decided to restore from a system restore point, however this did not resolve the problem. Next, I used "Start-up Settings" to boot into Safe Mode with Networking. This successfully booted me into Windows and my computer was able to function. However, booting normally still crashed the computer. I decided to perform "sfc /scannow" and "chkdsk C: /f /r" in safe mode (Command Prompt with administrator privileges). "sfc /scannow" fixed a few Windows files but did not resolve the issue.

Currently, "chkdsk" is still scanning the drive. It appears to be stuck at: "Scanning and repairing drive (C): 11% complete" and the computer is fairly quiet. I do not know if it is still scanning or if the computer has froze again.
    Right now, I do not know what the problem is. "chkdsk" has been running for around 3 hours and is still frozen.

Computer freezes/crashes at Windows logo (startup) [​IMG]

Should I cancel the scan (force restart) and perform "sfc /scannow" multiple times to ensure that "sfc" did not skip any problems? Or should I keep chkdsk on for a couple more hours.
    Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you, *Smile
    Mosaic Mars

:)

MosaicMars, Aug 15, 2015

2. Freezing at Preparing Automatic Repair

A few days ago, my computer crashed and the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR popped up. Now, this I have dealt with when a driver needed to be updated manually. Yet, my computer sat on this blue screen for 5 minutes, maybe a bit more, so I pulled the power and
    gave it a few minutes before restarting.

My problem is that on start up, it goes to the Asus logo, then a black screen, then back to the Asus logo with the notification Preparing Automatic Repair and freezes. There is no progression beyond that screen, it may recognize the problem and give me a
    blue screen with the MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error. This blue screen too freezes and doesn't restart the computer.

I have tried using a boot disk to just reset the machine yet once past the initial Asus logo, a Windows logo will appear and the circle of dots start yet then freeze. I'm at a loss on what to do.

Katie Bernard, Aug 15, 2015
  3. Display adapter does not work with Windows 10

Um I'm doing it as said and on the startup with the Dell logo it says preparing to start windows repair and freezes . Btw could any of this be caused by McAfee

jonnyGwebb, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Computer freezes/crashes at Windows logo (startup)

did you do an upgrade and did W10 activate ? if so, then back up any personal files / data and do a clean install of windows 10....it will then activate automatically over the Internet ( been told can be a few days but not tried myself ) maybe this will sort out your issues, if they are OS based issues....
    or can try boot from USB pen with W10 installed using windows media creator....second screen repair then troubleshooting and command line and try one at a time
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /fixboot
    bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

then try repair again or see if it boots from your pc

reddwarf4ever, Aug 15, 2015
  5. Thank you "reddwarf4ever" for the quick reply! *Smile
    Yes, I did do a successful upgrade and Windows 10 automatically activated my license (genuine).

I currently do not want to clean install my computer, as it will wipe all my files.
    However, if it is vital I will clean install. Coincidentally, I partially backed up my computer before the crash, but some files have not been fully backed up.

I have also tried the "bootrec" commands, (from the W10 "troubleshooting problems" recovery command line) however they have not resolved the problem.

CHKDSK is still stuck on "Scanning and repairing drive (C): 11%". I am currently decided on whether to shutdown my computer and stop CHKDSK.

Thank you for your support! *Biggrin
    Mosaic Mars

MosaicMars, Aug 15, 2015
  6. if you boot from a Linux cd chose the live option so not install, then back up your files and note your programs......sometimes it's easier to start again, so long as you have your data and a list of programs installed.....shouldn't take too long.....when it's stable ( LOL ) maybe you could make a complete HDD image I use acronis true image even has a verify option in options.....I do this to my laptop and PC's.....then when all else fails can just restore the whole lot, can do incremental backups from time to time....good luck

7. Thank you "reddwarf4ever",

It definitely seems that reinstalling Windows is the only viable option here unless anyone else can resolve the problem.
    I may later boot from a Ubuntu or Linux Mint USB drive and copy the files I ned, however I do not want to reinstall now.
    This thread has only been on for 10+ hours, so I'm hoping that it'll get more replies or fixes.
    Please post any ideas/fixes members! *Smile

Thank you,
    Mosaic Mars

MosaicMars, Aug 15, 2015
  8. Computer freezes/crashes at Windows logo (startup)

let's hope so....as you not in a hurry....worth waiting....take care

9. Hi guys,
    I decided to download the Windows 10 ISO and make a USB bootable Windows 10 installer.
    I performed the "bootrec" commands however, they did not resolve my issue.
    Then, I used "chkdsk" from the command prompt in the Windows 10 installer instead. (chkdsk E: /f /r) E: is my main drive in the Windows 10 installer.

CHKDSK successfully checked my hard drive, without stalling at 11%. There were no problems to be fixed.
    I'm still asking for fixes/ideas. *Wink

Thank you,
    Mosaic Mars

MosaicMars, Aug 16, 2015
  10. Hi TenForums Members!
    Sorry for the super late reply, however I have fixed the issue with my computer! *chuckle

As I stated earlier on my first post, after I reset my motherboard my computer was not able to boot up.
    However, I checked my motherboard settings earlier today and found an option called "No-execute" memory.
    I recalled that it had been enabled before, so I decided to enable it.

My computer then successfully booted right into Windows, with no files lost (some new applications were lost due to my trial with System Restore). *Smile
    I am very happy with my solution, and recommend anyone with booting up problems in Windows 8/10 to make sure that NX Memory (in BIOS) is turned on. It is a requirement of Windows 8/10.

The computer still randomly freezes, which I suspect to be the HDD as the drive has been producing "ticking" noises.
    I will definitely diagnose my HDD for any problems.

Thank you for all your support! *Biggrin
    Mosaic Mars

MosaicMars, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Computer freezes/crashes at Windows logo (startup)

1. Computer freezes/crashes at Windows logo (startup) - Similar Threads - Computer freezes crashes

2. Computer freezing and crashing in windows + during startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezing and crashing in windows + during startup: Hello everyone,for a while now my computer has been freezing and crashing at random intervals while in use. It started pretty tame with maybe 1 or 2 crashes per week, but since then it's developed into something much worse, crashing at least 4 times a day. This problem...
  3. Computer freezing and crashing in windows + during startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezing and crashing in windows + during startup: Hello everyone,for a while now my computer has been freezing and crashing at random intervals while in use. It started pretty tame with maybe 1 or 2 crashes per week, but since then it's developed into something much worse, crashing at least 4 times a day. This problem...
  4. Computer freezing and crashing in windows + during startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Computer freezes and crashes right after startup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer freezes and crashes right after startup: So I have an Omen 15 laptop. It runs beautifully.However today after I downloaded blizzard and the overwatch game, it has constantly frozen up and crashed afterwards. I have no idea why it is doing this since I’ve had overwatch on my computer before and nothing has happened...
  6. Computer freezes and crashes right after startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes and crashes right after startup: So I have an Omen 15 laptop. It runs beautifully.However today after I downloaded blizzard and the overwatch game, it has constantly frozen up and crashed afterwards. I have no idea why it is doing this since I’ve had overwatch on my computer before and nothing has happened...
  7. Computer freezes and crashes right after startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. computer crashing at startup after windows logo

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    computer crashing at startup after windows logo: computer always crashes after windows logo , after restarting for 3-4 times, sometimes even 6-7 times the system works normally, it doesn't crash after that, please help me out with this problem, have added the dump files.Attachment 35993 21370
  9. Computer freeze on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer freeze on startup: Hello, So I decided to help my brother-in-law with his computer problems and I can't seem to find a fix. He installed Windows 10 creator's update a few months ago and has been experiencing problems with freezes upon starting the computer, that have made it impossible to...
  10. Windows logo on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows logo on startup: i get a windows logo on start up that has a circle spinning below it and it does that for about 2 minutes anyone know how to fix it? 29172

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer freezes on logo

2. my computer freez at windows logo then shut down