Windows 10: Computer freezes, EventID 98, VSS, "Volume x is healthy. No action is needed."

Discus and support Computer freezes, EventID 98, VSS, "Volume x is healthy. No action is needed." in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Ok, my computer freezes for some secnds way to often while playing games. Sometimes 15 minutes apart, sometiomes every minute or so. When this happens... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by rogerinac, Jun 21, 2019.

1. rogerinac Win User

Computer freezes, EventID 98, VSS, "Volume x is healthy. No action is needed."

Ok, my computer freezes for some secnds way to often while playing games. Sometimes 15 minutes apart, sometiomes every minute or so. When this happens I always find an entry in the system log stating 'EventID 98", "Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs)", "Volume x is healthy. No action is needed."'. Once for each attached disk.

After testing around for a while I found out that disabling the service "Volume Shadow Copy" prevents the freezes. It is not enough to just switch it to manual and stop it since something is starting it again.

I've been doing this for months and this is the only way I've found to prevent the freezes. I've not been able to figure out what is triggering these file system checks and how to stop them.

Anyone got any ideas?

:)

rogerinac, Jun 21, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error

Hi, you might try this:
    Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) Troubleshooting - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) Troubleshooting

or the free cautious repair tool
    Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free/Pro
    - observing the steps and using only the relevant repairs

More:
    How to Fix VSS Errors Step-by-Step

Otherwise I suggest- assuming your disk and file system are sound-
    an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all progs, data and most settings

You need an iso of the same base language and build- freely downloadable.

dalchina, Jun 21, 2019
  3. Marc0523 Win User
    VSS Problems in Windows 10

One day, for no obvious reason at all my Windows 7 backups stopped working.

I tried Macrium as well and that also failed, but gave me more information.

VSS has an error:

Date 25/10/2017 20:32:19

Type Error

Event 12293

Source VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details Cannot ask provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5} if volume is supported. [0x8000ffff] [hr = 0x8000ffff, Catastrophic
    failure

].

Operation:

Check If Volume Is Supported by Provider

Add a Volume to a Shadow Copy Set

Context:

Execution Context: Coordinator

Provider ID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

Volume Name: \\?\Volume{bdb16d1e-c4e4-4d4f-a064-899c511f4a65}\

Execution Context: Coordinator

I am not sure what this really means but I have tried every fix I can find online, sadly they don't seem to focus on VSS and Windows 10 but rather Windows Server and some of the steps don't work.

I have checked registry settings, run

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /SCANNOW

With both finding nothing.

I have posted the errors below

VSS Error.txt

Also I have a slightly non-standard Windows install, I have my Users folder on my D Drive and the rest of Windows on the C Drive, I have a junction (static link) from the C:\Users folder to D:\Users as well as registry changes to
    point to the new location.

There are loads of other disks on the system as well.

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---

Disk 0 Online 223 GB 0 B *

Disk 1 Online 931 GB 0 B *

Disk 2 Online 1863 GB 1024 KB *

Disk 3 Online 3726 GB 1024 KB *

Disk 4 Online 1863 GB 0 B

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------

Volume 0 C PCI-SSD-1_O NTFS Partition 223 GB Healthy Boot

Volume 1 Recovery NTFS Partition 450 MB Healthy Hidden

Volume 2 FAT32 Partition 100 MB Healthy System

Volume 3 D PD-1_Data NTFS Partition 931 GB Healthy

Volume 4 S PD-2_Steam NTFS Partition 1862 GB Healthy

Volume 5 E RA-1_OldDat NTFS Partition 3725 GB Healthy

Volume 6 F LaCie USB 2 NTFS Partition 1863 GB Healthy

DISKPART>

Any ideas?

Marc0523, Jun 21, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

computer failed to boot - disk error event id 153 + 98

Hi, suggest you try Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) - gives a great quick analysis (SSDs too).

Please post the results.

Event ID 153:
    This event may be an indication that the specified drive may be failing soon. This is especially true if the event is recorded regularly. The first step is to run the maintenance utilities related to hard drives, starting with CHKDSK and the utilities available from the manufacturer for that specific brand.

Event ID 98:
    Event ID: 98

dalchina, Jun 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Computer freezes, EventID 98, VSS, "Volume x is healthy. No action is needed." - Similar Threads - Computer freezes EventID

2. VSS EventID 20

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VSS EventID 20: We have recently started getting the following on a Win Server 2022 :The shadow copies of volume E: were aborted because of a failed free space computation. There is currently 5TB Free space on the drive and trying to manually create shadow copies also returns and error:...
  3. VSS EventID 20

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VSS EventID 20: We have recently started getting the following on a Win Server 2022 :The shadow copies of volume E: were aborted because of a failed free space computation. There is currently 5TB Free space on the drive and trying to manually create shadow copies also returns and error:...
  4. EventID 41 Bugcheckcode209 help needed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EventID 41 Bugcheckcode209 help needed: I am getting this BSOD/crash and have reached the point where I have passed my ability to figure out what exactly is going on. I am unable to open the .dmp file so I have hit a roadblock. From what I can gather I need to update something, but everything says it's up to date...
  5. EventID 41 Bugcheckcode209 help needed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EventID 41 Bugcheckcode209 help needed: I am getting this BSOD/crash and have reached the point where I have passed my ability to figure out what exactly is going on. I am unable to open the .dmp file so I have hit a roadblock. From what I can gather I need to update something, but everything says it's up to date...
  6. EventID 41 Bugcheckcode209 help needed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. System logs event id 98 volume recovery every second "No action required"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System logs event id 98 volume recovery every second "No action required": An example: Logboeknaam: System Bron: Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs Datum: 20-02-08 20:30:56 Gebeurtenis-id:98 Taakcategorie: Geen Niveau: Informatie Trefwoorden: 2 Gebruiker: n.v.t. Computer: xxxxxx Beschrijving: Volume Recovery...
  8. Action Needed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Action Needed: Hello, My Computer's just done some updates and then wifi stopped working and every time i hit "connect" i find "action needed" written under the network name, and then it automatically opens a browsing tab which gives me "ERROR"...
  9. Actions needed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Actions needed: Please help me to solve this kind of issue which is my Windows Defender Security Center cannot perform whether quick scan or full scan. The note shows "Your Virus & threat protection is managed by your organization." Hope you guys can help me on this problem. Thanks....
  10. Defender red x in Taskbar- Actions needed- but what?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender red x in Taskbar- Actions needed- but what?: Hi, about 10 days or so ago I noticed the Defender tray icon had started to show a red x - 'Actions Needed'. [img] Clicking on that opens the background window, and clicking on 'View Antivirus Providers' which seems to offer the only apparent reason for the red x gives...