Windows 10: Computer Freezes if when renaming a file and the file is open.

Discus and support Computer Freezes if when renaming a file and the file is open. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; With my Windows 7 and renaming files, if I left the file open while renaming, windows would send a pop-up letting me know that it couldn't do it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Monroe A., Jun 3, 2019.

1. Monroe A. Win User

Computer Freezes if when renaming a file and the file is open.

With my Windows 7 and renaming files, if I left the file open while renaming, windows would send a pop-up letting me know that it couldn't do it and then I would close the file and click "Try Again".

Windows 10 doesn't give me a warning pop-up and just totally freezes my machine and I have to do a manual hard shut down to clear the error.

I really need a fix for this issue, not only is it frustrating, but it's a work stoppage issue as well.

:)

Monroe A., Jun 3, 2019
  2. jaydeee Win User

PowerPoint file crashes PowerPoint upon opening

since this happens in some of the computers only, suggest that you open the file on working computer and copy everything and paste to a new powerpoint file.
    most of the time it works to me. *Smile Computer Freezes if when renaming a file and the file is open. :)

jaydeee, Jun 3, 2019
  3. Ketxxx Win User
    opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Jun 3, 2019
  4. ax_Cap Win User

Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Solved!!!!!

Use 7zip.

open the 7zip file manager, go to the folder of the long name file, select the file, right click on it and select "rename".
    erase some of the words of the file and press enter.

regards!!!!!

ax_Cap, Jun 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Computer Freezes if when renaming a file and the file is open. - Similar Threads - Computer Freezes renaming

2. Invalid file handle when renaming file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invalid file handle when renaming file: Hi,some time ago I exported a file from Exchange Server. The output file was called con.pst.However, it appears that con is a reserved file name. Whenever I try to rename or copy con.pst I get an Invalid File Handle message.Is there any way I can rename this file so it can be...
  3. Invalid file handle when renaming file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Invalid file handle when renaming file: Hi,some time ago I exported a file from Exchange Server. The output file was called con.pst.However, it appears that con is a reserved file name. Whenever I try to rename or copy con.pst I get an Invalid File Handle message.Is there any way I can rename this file so it can be...
  4. Cannot Open Rename File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Open Rename File: I have been experiencing this problem since I updated windows 10. How can rename my file that it won't affect my downloaded renamed file? PLease do help i have to save photos but it won't open if renamed, but there are tons to be saved. Please...
  5. Cannot Open Rename File

Cannot Open Rename File: I have been experiencing this problem since I updated windows 10. How can rename my file that it won't affect my downloaded renamed file? PLease do help i have to save photos but it won't open if renamed, but there are tons to be saved. Please...
  6. Cannot Open Rename File

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. File preview not working when file is renamed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File preview not working when file is renamed: I often have to scan multiple documents and then rename them. I used to use the preview pane in explorer and then rename in explorer and not do that from Acrobat reader since it is faster to just do it in explorer.Starting yesterday, 3/7/22, if I do it that way the preview...
  8. File preview not working when file is renamed

File preview not working when file is renamed: I often have to scan multiple documents and then rename them. I used to use the preview pane in explorer and then rename in explorer and not do that from Acrobat reader since it is faster to just do it in explorer.Starting yesterday, 3/7/22, if I do it that way the preview...
  9. File preview not working when file is renamed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Sometimes File Explorer Freezes When Renaming A Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Sometimes File Explorer Freezes When Renaming A Folder: Hello, I noticed on very rare occasions (only on one hard drive) that when I create a new folder, give it a name and press enter, File Explorer freezes for about 30-40 seconds until it creates that name for the folder. I've tried to rename that same exact folder right after...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. renaming file on desktop freezes windows domain

2. computer freezes when i open folder