Windows 10: Computer freezes on post

Discus and support Computer freezes on post in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It sometimes (not always) happens when I need to change a UEFI setting. When it's happening the screen turns black and the computer tries to reboot.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by socklosk, Jan 19, 2016.

1. socklosk Win User

Computer freezes on post

It sometimes (not always) happens when I need to change a UEFI setting. When it's happening the screen turns black and the computer tries to reboot. Note that the computer does not crash to the point of a memory dump. When this happens I have to keep trying to reboot and eventually it loads the default Bios settings and boots.

I have so far replaced the memory, PSU and motherboard to no avail. Once the computer does boot, everything seems perfectly stable. I noticed a new Bios update and flashed it to my motherboard, but I do not yet know if it fixed things.

:)

socklosk, Jan 19, 2016
  2. Eric_747 Win User

Issues with Surface Ergonomic Keyboard

Thanks, will do and will keep you posted.

To answer your question, no, the computer does not freeze when I'm not using the keyboard. There is clearly a correlation between me typing on the keyboard after it's been unused for a few minutes and the computer freezing.

Eric_747, Jan 19, 2016
  3. Periodic freezing post-upgrade

Sorry it took so long to get back to you! Here's the links now:

I have experienced a couple of freezes since the last time, but once again, not happening as often as they did that one day, thankfully.

TouyaShiro, Jan 19, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Computer freezes on post

Socklosk, what bios settings are you changing? With some settings the computer needs to shut down and restart before they can change. It may be that it is just not doing that. Try setting the bios to defaults, set the sata controller to the same mode it is set to right now and set the boot order, save and exit. Change nothing else and see how it runs.

Please fill out your System Specs

Computer freezes on post [​IMG]
    Information Your System Specs will help us to help you, and doing it in this manner will make them available to all helpers in every post and keep us from hunting for them. We ask that you fill them out in as much detail as possible including Desktop or Laptop, Model number if it is an OEM computer and all components with the Manufacturer and Model number if possible. If you will go to your last post and click the 'System Specs' in the bottom left of the post, you will find a link to update your system specs. Please fill those out in as much detail as possible, making sure to click save at the bottom of the page. If you would like to know what we would like, you can click 'My System Specs' at the bottom left of this post to see mine. If you do not know what your components are, this will help you accomplish this task. System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums

essenbe, Jan 20, 2016
  5. socklosk Win User
    The problem is so intermittent that it happens maybe once every two months. I did notice that that there was an new Bios for my motherboard, and so I upgraded it AFTER the freeze. Also, it's probably coincidental, but I updated the Realtek Network adapter driver just BEFORE the freeze. This same computer worked flawlessly with Windows Seven! This, I do not think is a coincidence.

socklosk, Jan 20, 2016
  6. essenbe Win User
    I know Realtek has had some issues with audio drivers. I'm not sure about network drivers. I would strongly suggest if you have any of the Gigabyte Utilities installed to uninstall all of them. They will cause all kinds of problems. Windows 10 being a new OS, some of the manufacturers have problems catching up with drivers. I know it happens every time Intel or AMD release a new chipset. It takes a lot of months for them to catch up. Maybe your bios update will solve it for you.

It will be difficult to figure out if it only happens every 2 months. Just let us know what's going on.

essenbe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Computer freezes on post

1. Computer freezes on post - Similar Threads - Computer freezes post

2. Windows Freezes after post

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Freezes after post: My PC has been having an issue for a while now in that I cannot boot into any type of windows whatsoever. I have tried anything and everything possible, but no matter what I do it freezes as soon as it tries to load windows in any way. I have booted into Ubuntu before to wipe...
  3. Windows Freezes after post

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Freezes after post: My PC has been having an issue for a while now in that I cannot boot into any type of windows whatsoever. I have tried anything and everything possible, but no matter what I do it freezes as soon as it tries to load windows in any way. I have booted into Ubuntu before to wipe...
  4. Windows Freezes after post

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Continue of previous post on laptop freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Continue of previous post on laptop freezing: I am unable to reply to my post I made so just going to link the post https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/random-freezes-here-and-there-on-my-laptop/b1715d07-fca0-45be-ab9c-4a9fe725541f I am sill facing those freezes as I've followed what greg the only reply...
  6. Continue of previous post on laptop freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Continue of previous post on laptop freezing: I am unable to reply to my post I made so just going to link the post https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/random-freezes-here-and-there-on-my-laptop/b1715d07-fca0-45be-ab9c-4a9fe725541f I am sill facing those freezes as I've followed what greg the only reply...
  7. Continue of previous post on laptop freezing

8. computer hangs at POST

computer hangs at POST: my pc hangs at startup at post screen it has now happened for second time what to do I have already tried changing ssd sata cable also changed psu cable that connects ssd what else should I do step by step?...
  9. Post Update Freeze

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Post Update Freeze: After Windows 10 update today, NONE of my software works- Office, SHARESCOPE, Avast antivirus. Cant open anything. Can’t copy any files- any attempt to open anything leads to the laptop freezing..I have to do a hard reboot to unfreeze. How do I solve this problem?...
  10. Computer freezes, no BSOD. Should I post it here?

Computer freezes, no BSOD. Should I post it here?: My PC freezes pretty much every day. I have to do a hard restart; task manager does not work when it is frozen. I get no BSOD. Should I post in this thread or another? 77025

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer freezes in post

2. pc freezes on post first start

3. freezing on post