Windows 10: Computer freezes, than reboots without bluescreen (event IT 42, Kernel Power) Keywords:...

Discus and support Computer freezes, than reboots without bluescreen (event IT 42, Kernel Power) Keywords:... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, thank you very much for your time reading this. Today while watching a Twitch VOD or using Google street view, my computer rebooted after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Pilzemann, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Computer freezes, than reboots without bluescreen (event IT 42, Kernel Power) Keywords:...

Hello,

thank you very much for your time reading this.

Today while watching a Twitch VOD or using Google street view, my computer rebooted after freezing for 2-3 seconds - the screen was still active and showed the last frame for that time, along with some audio buzzing noises from my headphones. This happened two times so far. The event viewer hints towards an event ID 41, Kernel Power issues and the keyword (70368744177664),(2). Googling for a solution lead to people providing additional infos. The XML-view of the event viewer and the contents of the Minidump folders can be found below.

I had a similar issue before last year. It seemed to be related to a faulty Nvidia driver that could lead to Youtube videos crashing the computer. Updating this driver regularly fixed this up until now.

Recent changes I made to my system include:

• I switched to an NVMe SSD for which I cloned my C partition a couple of weeks ago.

• I installed the latest Nvidia drivers (461.09) 4-5 days ago.

• Today, I downloaded and installed the recent Windows update 2004 and 20H2 — KB4598242. This update downloaded BEFORE today's first crash and installed itself during the automatic reboot. After that, the second crash happened.

What I did to combat the issue, don't quite know if it changed anything:

• I have rolled back to GPU driver version 460.89.

• I disabled the automatic reboot.

• I disabled hardware acceleration in the browser settings.

A new PSU I ordered for unrelated reasons arrives later this week. Maybe this could change things?

System specs:

• Ryzen 5 3600 (not overclocked)

• MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX

• Nividia Geforce GTX 1070 (not overclocked)

• 16GB of Corsair DDR4 RAM at 3200 MHz (using standard XMP profile)

• 600W be quiet PSU, with 4.5 years the oldest component of the system

Link to the Minidump files, although they appear to be changed last in October and November according to the Windows Explorer, so I don't know how useful this is. Similarly, a 1.4GB large Memory.dmp was last changed in November 2020.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qkp4zKUtx0DaYdMffaFYGnCyJiTSQF-I/view?usp=sharing

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> - <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" /> <EventID>41</EventID> <Version>8</Version> <Level>1</Level> <Task>63</Task> <Opcode>0</Opcode> <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-01-13T15:14:07.5457548Z" /> <EventRecordID>28015</EventRecordID> <Correlation /> <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" /> <Channel>System</Channel> <Computer>DESKTOP-BT31N6S</Computer> <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> </System> - <EventData> <Data Name="BugcheckCode">278</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0xffffe08f1a28f010</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data> <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data> <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data> <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data> <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data> <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data> <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data> <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data> <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data> <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">0</Data> <Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data> </EventData> </Event>

Please let me know if you need more info, maybe I should provide the memory.dmp file as well. Thank you again for your time.

submitted by /u/Pilzemann
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Pilzemann, Jan 13, 2021

2. Event 42 kernel power

I've got a windows 10 machine that needs to be on 24/7. Recently the computer started going to sleep because it's idle. I looked through all the power settings and set everything to never or max performance. Yet the computer still goes to sleep.

I saw in another forum that playing audio on a loop keeps the computer from sleeping. Currently that seems to be working. I will check back in the morning to verify.

I looked in event viewer and saw that Event 42 kernel power shows up. While playing music is a workaround its no fix.

trunolimit, Jan 13, 2021
  3. Kernel-Power event id 41. BugcheckCode 0

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In-order to get more clarity on this issue and to assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, reply with answers to the below questions:

1. Are you aware of any changes made on your PC, prior to this issue?
    2. Is this issue specific while playing a particular game?
    3. Which edition of Windows are you currently using?

A Kernel Power Event 41 can occur in the following scenarios.

Scenario 1: The computer restarts, and there is a Stop error BugcheckCode in the event data.

Scenario 2: The computer is shut down by pressing and holding the power button.

Scenario 3: The system randomly restarts and no Stop error BugcheckCode is listed, or the computer is completely unresponsive (hard hang).

I suggest you refer the article on Kernel
    Power Event ID 41
    and follow the steps for the scenario that is causing this error on your PC.

Additionally, you can refer the article on Windows
    Kernel event ID 41 error "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first" in Windows

and check if that helps.

Regards,

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Computer freezes, than reboots without bluescreen (event IT 42, Kernel Power) Keywords:...

restart and kernel-power event

Hi,

The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly. When a computer that is running Windows starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut down cleanly. If the computer was not shut
    down cleanly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message is generated.

Try this, see if it works for you:

• Go to "Settings"
    • Select "System"
    • Select "Power and Sleep"
    • Select "Additional Power Settings"
    • Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
    • Select "Change settings currently available"
    • Ensure that "Turn on fast start up" is deselected (unticked)
    • Click on "Save Changes"

Restart your computer after performing the steps.

Let us know if the above steps resolved the issue.

Venancio Khu, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

Computer freezes, than reboots without bluescreen (event IT 42, Kernel Power) Keywords:...

1. Computer freezes, than reboots without bluescreen (event IT 42, Kernel Power) Keywords:... - Similar Threads - Computer freezes reboots

2. Critical Kernel-Power event event ID 41, Task Category 63 Keywords 70368744177664,2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Critical Kernel-Power event event ID 41, Task Category 63 Keywords 70368744177664,2: Hello,I am running Windows 11 Pro, OS build: 22621.2428, Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22674.1000.0 and I am getting bsod randomly when it seems that the computer is about to stress, but even for minor tasks like extracting a .rar file or opening a google...
  3. Critical Kernel-Power event event ID 41, Task Category 63 Keywords 70368744177664,2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Critical Kernel-Power event event ID 41, Task Category 63 Keywords 70368744177664,2: Hello,I am running Windows 11 Pro, OS build: 22621.2428, Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22674.1000.0 and I am getting bsod randomly when it seems that the computer is about to stress, but even for minor tasks like extracting a .rar file or opening a google...
  4. Computer Freeze with a Kernel-Power Event ID 48

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Freeze with a Kernel-Power Event ID 48: Heres the Memory dump text: Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.22621.1778 AMD64 Copyright c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Loading Dump File [C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\MEMORY.DMP] Kernel Bitmap Dump File: Kernel address space is available, User...
  5. Computer Freeze with a Kernel-Power Event ID 48

Computer Freeze with a Kernel-Power Event ID 48: Heres the Memory dump text: Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.22621.1778 AMD64 Copyright c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Loading Dump File [C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\MEMORY.DMP] Kernel Bitmap Dump File: Kernel address space is available, User...
  6. Computer Freeze with a Kernel-Power Event ID 48

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Event Viewer - Kernel Power 41 - Bluescreen Timeline

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event Viewer - Kernel Power 41 - Bluescreen Timeline: I am trying to debug a bluescreen I've been having.I am looking through event viewer and I believe I've narrowed down potential events related to the crash, but I need a reference point so I can refer to the timestamps on the events.Kernel Power 41 is within this list.When...
  8. Event Viewer - Kernel Power 41 - Bluescreen Timeline

Event Viewer - Kernel Power 41 - Bluescreen Timeline: I am trying to debug a bluescreen I've been having.I am looking through event viewer and I believe I've narrowed down potential events related to the crash, but I need a reference point so I can refer to the timestamps on the events.Kernel Power 41 is within this list.When...
  9. Random Bluescreen Kernel-Power Event 41

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random Bluescreen Kernel-Power Event 41: My system randomly bluescreen even after i update my windows or reinstall my windows. I tried sfc /scannow but there's no violation have been found. I already check windows memory diagnostic too and no issue. Here the minidump...
  10. Event 41, Kernel-Power - The system has rebooted

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Event 41, Kernel-Power - The system has rebooted: Hi On Win10, I'm getting the error: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. Code: EventData BugcheckCode 0 BugcheckParameter1 0x0...