Windows 10: Computer freezes when power cord is removed.

Discus and support Computer freezes when power cord is removed. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. I'm not sure which forum this problem would fit into, so I'm starting here. I have had a problem for the last couple of months where the mouse... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by blmiller99, May 10, 2020.

1. Computer freezes when power cord is removed.

Hi all. I'm not sure which forum this problem would fit into, so I'm starting here.

I have had a problem for the last couple of months where the mouse cursor freezes immediately upon removal of the power cord. I have not been able to discover any way to recover aside from forcing a reboot. These reboots are often quite lengthy. Both the reboot and log in to Windows can spin for a long time, taking nearly 30 minutes or more. So while I've tried to be observant, testing is very difficult due to the amount of time necessary. Google searches have also been fruitless.

Some specs on my laptop:
    Dell XPS L702x,
    Dell Model No. P09E
    Manufactured: 5/3/2012
    Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz
    8 GB RAM
    64 bit operating system
    Windows 10 Pro, 1903, 18362.720
    External monitor, HP 25es

The problem often occurs when I disconnect the laptop (from the external monitor, power cord, etc.) to take it elsewhere. Initially I thought that the monitor connection was causing the problem, but it became apparent that it was really the power cord. Even a brief disconnection of the power adapter causes the mouse to freeze, but the monitor (HDMI) cable does not.

The battery works fine.

I believe if I put the computer to sleep first, the problem does not occur.

Also, at least sometimes, removing the external monitor first helps. I can't recall whether disconnecting the power with the lid open or shut is necessary.

When the freeze happens, the mouse ceases to function. If I recall correctly, the keyboard still works, but this might be the laptop keyboard only, not the external. I'm also not certain about the trackpad as I have the driver for this shut down.

This is a USB mouse. The battery is good. Using a wired USB mouse does not help.

OK, I know that is limited information. I can think of a couple dozen ways to test and try to narrow down the problem. But I don't have a couple of days to spend on rebooting this laptop as I work on it daily. So I'm interested in whether anyone else has encountered this sort of problem --- and not so interested in lists of things to try. Those lists can be more focused if we can identify where the problem might stem from.

Thanks,

Brad

:)

blmiller99, May 10, 2020

2. ASUS freezes when remove power cord - Windows 10

Thanks so much for the help and ideas. Here are the results

Method 1

"we made some changes that should fix"

but I have the same results. Computer still freezing when removing power cord.

Method 2

windows could not find "wuapp" so I manually updated every driver on the device manager menu - everyone of them. They all said they had the latest drivers.

Same results - computer freezing when removing power cord.

Method 3

when i ran verifier as instructed got this message

"ptun0901.sys tap-windows virtual network driver (NDIS 6.0)"

when I hit finished this message

"no settings were changed"

Same results - computer freezing when removing power cord

I will keep trying whatever you recommend. I have contacted ASUS and installed on the drivers they recommend for my computer.

Same results

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike India, May 10, 2020
  3. Arul_D Win User
    ASUS freezes when remove power cord - Windows 10

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble.

I suggest you to follow these steps and check if that helps.

Method 1: Run the power troubleshooter.

Follow these steps:

• Click on search and type Troubleshooting in the search box and then press enter.
    • Click system and security and run the power troubleshooter.
    Method 2: I would suggest you to create new power plan and see if that helps.

Please refer the topic called "Power plans: Frequently asked questions (Can I create a power plan?)."

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/power-plans-faq

Note: Above article is also applies Windows 10.

Method 3: If the issue persists even in a new power plan, I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the latest graphics card driver and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to uninstall the graphic card driver.

• Click Start, type Device Manager, and press
      Enter
    • Find and double-click the graphic card driver.
    • Right-click it, and click Uninstall.
    • Windows will prompt you to confirm the device’s removal. Click OK to remove the driver.
    • After the uninstallation is complete, reboot your computer as soon as possible. In a pinch you can use the Windows Device Manager to uninstall troublesome driver.
    Install the driver from the system manufacturer’s website.
    For further assistance on this please refer the article by Andre Da Costa.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arul_D, May 10, 2020
  4. Computer freezes when power cord is removed.

ASUS freezes when remove power cord - Windows 10

I tried each of the suggestions and all had the same results.

My computer still freezes when I disconnect from the power.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mike India, May 10, 2020
Thema:

Computer freezes when power cord is removed.

1. Computer freezes when power cord is removed. - Similar Threads - Computer freezes power

2. Windows 10 screen power cord goes black for ~1s when um/plugging power cord

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 screen power cord goes black for ~1s when um/plugging power cord: Hello folks, I had this issue and the locked answer was related to turning off virus protection not helpful The solution for me was to: 1. EDIT THE BIOS and DISABLE "boot when power is applied"I have a lenovo x230 laptop running Win10. This problem plagued me for over a week,...
  3. Computer freezing when I plug in the power cord.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer freezing when I plug in the power cord.: Hi,I have a problem where whenever I plug in my laptop, it freezes. The screen flashes colors, then black screens. After the black screen goes away, the brightness raises and it can't be changed. Sometimes it freezes immediately, but other times there is a delay. It's...
  4. LAPTOP LOCKS AUTOMATICALLY WHEN THE POWER CORD IS NOT CHARGING

in Windows 10 Customization
    LAPTOP LOCKS AUTOMATICALLY WHEN THE POWER CORD IS NOT CHARGING: OK so my laptop locks automatically when the power cord doesn't charge for like even a second for first it says low power plug in your pc now and then locks itself then i have to turn it on and it just wastes a lot of time and i have to have my power cord in at all times...
  5. power cord replacement

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    power cord replacement: where do i purchase ew power cord https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-cord-replacement/d4df5660-b3c2-45c7-ad25-20ca99c5a3b6
  6. power cord

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power cord: i am having a problem not having to use my power cord i am currenty using my battery for now what should i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-cord/4ea518d3-4d89-4628-860e-3aa6e6436739
  7. Universal power cord

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Universal power cord: I had to purchase a universal power cord for my Dell laptop. It plugs in but won't charge. Any way I can get the laptop to charge??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/universal-power-cord/ec366f36-ccc6-4119-8239-570738282c95
  8. Power Cord

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Power Cord: My puppy chewed my power cord. How do I find out where the info is on what type my computer is and what type of cord I need so I can order another power cord? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-cord/8233434f-97a6-4b3d-b9d7-a5f9ee2e9cd8
  9. Laptop crashes when power cord is unplugged

Laptop crashes when power cord is unplugged: Hello everyone! I recently bought MSI GF72VR and I am having strange problem with it. Almost every time when I unplug power cord and I have open program my laptop freezes for about 3-4 seconds then it comes black screen and then blue screen and restart. I have tried to...
  10. Rca 2in1tablet power cord.

Rca 2in1tablet power cord.: I need to replace the power cord on my RCA 2in1 tablet, but am having a hard time finding one to fit. Tried two different universal cords from Walmart and neither fit correctly to start charging. Any suggestions?...