Windows 10: Computer freezes whenever exiting or alt+tabbing a fullscreen game

Discus and support Computer freezes whenever exiting or alt+tabbing a fullscreen game in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; the games themselves run completely fine, no issues, but whenever i switch tabs or exit to desktop, my entire computer freezes, and i have to restart... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/FreshnessForDays, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Computer freezes whenever exiting or alt+tabbing a fullscreen game

the games themselves run completely fine, no issues, but whenever i switch tabs or exit to desktop, my entire computer freezes, and i have to restart it. This happens mostly with csgo, valorant, and r6 siege, which are games i happen to play alot, and its really annoying to have to restart whenever i stop playing. i did just download valorant recently, and that was around the time this problem started happening, however i can remember it happening once or twice before i downloaded valorant. so if me downloading valorant has anything with it, lmk. any fixes?

submitted by /u/FreshnessForDays
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/FreshnessForDays, Jan 11, 2021

2. Weird alt-tab out of fullscreen games.

Hi Simon,

The multitasking capability of a game depends on the total memory of your computer. If you have large amounts of RAM on your computer, it can multitask heavy programs easily like high-end games. To ensure that we can provide the appropriate resolution
    for your concerns with the alt-tab function, we’d like to ask you a few questions:

• What were the recent changes made on your computer before you experienced this issue?
    • When did the issue start?
    • Have you pressed the alt-tab key during you play Rainbow Six Siege? Or it just happen without pressing it?
    • Does the automatic ALT-TAB behavior happens on other games?
    • Do you have any other programs running on your computer while playing?
    • What is the anti-virus program you're using?
    • What is your device or system specifications? To know, follow these steps:
      1. Press Windows + S and type
        About your PC
      2. Send us the information listed under Device specifications.

Moving forward, if you're multitasking while playing, we recommend that you play this game only without doing other tasks. Pressing ALT-TAB or performing a multitasking interferes with the performance of your video card, especially if you're running a heavy
    game like Rainbow Six Siege. It will generate screen viewing issues like intermittently switching your game screen between your desktop environment.

For now, restart your game and do not press ALT+TAB while playing. This will allow your video card to dedicate its graphics performance on the game only instead of your desktop environment.

If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Johann Eva, Jan 11, 2021
  3. alt + tab not working

Just found a really cool way to make alt+tab INSTANT!!!

In the launch options write the following: -windowed -noborder

Computer freezes whenever exiting or alt+tabbing a fullscreen game Capture122.jpg

This play exactly the same as fullscreen but now you dont have to wait 30 f*@!ing seconds to alt+tab back in!

Also you don't get the little purple/black checkered effect (only in Source games) from alt+tabbing in fullscreen.

oli_ramsay, Jan 11, 2021
  4. Computer freezes whenever exiting or alt+tabbing a fullscreen game

Black Screen issue for Exclusive Fullscreen mode when exiting or Alt+Tab to Desktop after Anniversary Update

Hello, Pavan, I would like to add a few more details to this issue.

This seems to be an issue for multiple games running on exclusive fullscreen mode. Happens with Child of Light, Rocksmith, The Witcher, Resident Evil Revelations, World of Warships and a few others from what I could see. They all share the
    same circumstances, and the only way to avoid this issue is to set the game to run on borderless fullscreen mode.

When stuck in this black screen, the only way out is to press ctrl+alt+del, and blindly go to the "change user" option ("down" and "enter" after pressing the combo). After logging back into Windows, the issue is gone. Another way of avoiding this issue is
    to alt+tab from the game, exit it from the taskbar or forcefully killing the process.

I would like to say that this is a problem related only to Windows 10 Anniversary Update. This issue never happened before on previous Windows 10 builds and the reproduction rate of this issue is 100%. If you have an affected machine, this is going to happen
    every time you exit an affected game. This seems to happen only to a handful of games, so keep that in mind.

Hopefully you can address this issue as soon as possible, because it is very frustrating.

ÍtaloBruno, Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

Computer freezes whenever exiting or alt+tabbing a fullscreen game

1. Computer freezes whenever exiting or alt+tabbing a fullscreen game - Similar Threads - Computer freezes whenever

2. Fullscreen games do not respond after ALT + TAB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fullscreen games do not respond after ALT + TAB: After reinstalling Windows 10, I started seeing this problem. All my games have the problem of being labeled as "Not responding" and not allowing to maximize them after being minimized, after trying for about 30 seconds clicking on their icon in the task bar and using alt +...
  3. Fullscreen games do not respond after ALT + TAB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fullscreen games do not respond after ALT + TAB: After reinstalling Windows 10, I started seeing this problem. All my games have the problem of being labeled as "Not responding" and not allowing to maximize them after being minimized, after trying for about 30 seconds clicking on their icon in the task bar and using alt +...
  4. WINDOWS 11 Alt+Tab/Fullscreen Issues with Games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WINDOWS 11 Alt+Tab/Fullscreen Issues with Games: Hello, I recently installed Windows 11 and noticed an issue that's a bit bothersome. Back in Windows 10, whenever I'd load up a game and tab out of it, the game would "minimize". However, now with Windows 11, when I tab out, the game continues to run in the background of...
  5. WINDOWS 11 Alt+Tab/Fullscreen Issues with Games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WINDOWS 11 Alt+Tab/Fullscreen Issues with Games: Hello, I recently installed Windows 11 and noticed an issue that's a bit bothersome. Back in Windows 10, whenever I'd load up a game and tab out of it, the game would "minimize". However, now with Windows 11, when I tab out, the game continues to run in the background of...
  6. Alt + tab fullscreen behaviour

in Windows 10 Customization
    Alt + tab fullscreen behaviour: Hi there,Alt tabbing out of a full screen application media player into something windowed loses focus, e.g. alt tabbing from a fullscreen media player into a web browser or Windows Explorer means that keyboard shortcuts won't work until I actually click the window to focus...
  7. Alt + tab into fullscreen behaviour

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Alt + tab into fullscreen behaviour: Hi there,Alt tabbing out of a full screen application media player into something windowed loses focus, e.g. alt tabbing from a fullscreen media player into a web browser or Windows Explorer means that keyboard shortcuts won't work until I actually click the window to focus...
  8. File Explorer opens when exiting fullscreen applications with ALT+TAB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer opens when exiting fullscreen applications with ALT+TAB: Hello, I am on Windows 10, and since yesterday, every time I use ALT+TAB to come back to my desktop from a fullscreen application, a file explorer opens up for no reason. Thanks in advance !...
  9. freezing of games upon alt-tabbing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    freezing of games upon alt-tabbing: it started just a few days ago, and i have no idea of what might be causing it. so when i alt-tab out of any kind of application in full-screen mode (ONLY in full-screen, using window mode is only way i managed to get rid of it) and then alt-tab back to it it works fine for a...
  10. Weird alt-tab out of fullscreen games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird alt-tab out of fullscreen games.: So recently i have been playing rainbow six siege a lot but my experience has been kind of ruined by this weird alt tab that keeps happening. It usually happens when i flick fast and click. I think my cursor somehow does something even tho its fullscreen and ive been testing...