Windows 10: Computer freezing up.

Discus and support Computer freezing up. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am using a HP Pavalon with 16 MB of RAM which is running Windows 10 with the latest update. Normally the computer runs fine. However, when running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Lawrence K, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Computer freezing up.

I am using a HP Pavalon with 16 MB of RAM which is running Windows 10 with the latest update.

Normally the computer runs fine. However, when running Photoshop CC, after about 1/2 hour or so, the program stops working. I found that if I open the "Task Manager" and click on the "Performance" tab, I will see that the CPU is peaked out at 100% utilization. It immediately drops way down, and I can then proceed using Photoshop.

Once this starts to happen, it happens quite regularly.

Another problem is that about once a week, I will be working in Photoshop, and the screen goes completely blank. No matter what I do I can not get it working again, and I have to shut off the computer and start it again.

I have had a computer repair man look at the computer a couple of times. He suggested I increase my memory to 16 MB, which I then had him install. This did not solve the problem and he has not been able to find the problem.

As a side note, I have kept installing all the Photoshop CC updates as they have been released, and this has not had an effect on the problem.

Does anyone know what may be the cause of the problem?

Lawrence

:)

Lawrence K, Jun 13, 2017

2. Computer freezing up

Please work through the
    Windows 10 Install Integrity Checklist
    to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs are done.

If you’ll report back as you go, we may have other steps that are indicated.

Remember however that the Upgrade or a Factory install is an inferior install most tech enthusiasts would never run in the first place.
    By comparison, no one who has done the
    Clean Install Windows 10 Upgrade
    has had a single complaint I've seen, while we get still get complaints about the Upgrade here every few minutes.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jun 13, 2017
  3. Computer Freezing up

Hi Tiffany,

Corrupted system file can cause computer freezing up. For us to understand your concern better, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Are you getting any error messages or error code that may explain the problem?
    • Were there any changes, recent updates, and newly installed applications on your device that may have affected your computer's performance?
    • Which version and build of Windows device are you using? To verify your Windows, press
      Windows + R to open the Run window. Type WINVER
      and press Enter. A new window will open showing the version and build number of your Windows device.
    • Have you installed the latest
      Windows Updates
      ?

To troubleshoot your issue, we recommend running
    System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)
    , this is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

If the issue still persists, we suggest to perform
    Safe Mode
    . If the problem doesn't happen in safe mode, we'll know default settings and basic device drivers aren't causing the issue.

We look forward to your response.

Marvelos Reg, Jun 13, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Computer freezing up.

Adobe Photoshop requires a Scratch Disk for a temporary work space. By Default, Photoshop will create a Scratch Disk on the drive it was installed on (ie) C: drive, Adobe doesn't recommend this. Change your Scratch Disk to another drive with the largest amount of free space. Here is how and other tweaks to improve Photoshop performance:
    Optimize performance Photoshop CC

spunk, Jun 13, 2017
  5. Thanks so much Spunk. I just changed my scratch disk from my "c:" disk to my "d:" disk which has 1.78 GB of free space. Hopefully this will solve my problem.

Thanks also for the link. I will check this out.

Lawrence

Lawrence K, Jun 13, 2017
  6. spunk Win User
    You are welcome, please click the Thumbs Up icon under my user name if you liked my solution.

spunk, Jun 14, 2017
  7. Done!

Lawrence K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Computer freezing up.

1. Computer freezing up. - Similar Threads - Computer freezing

2. Computer freezes during initial boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes during initial boot: Hello,I have purchased some new computers for a company that I work for. They have been starting to give problems where it takes about 5-10 minutes to boot up and get to the log-in screen. I have attached a link to the memory dump files if anybody can take a look. Thank you!...
  3. Computer freezes during initial boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezes during initial boot: Hello,I have purchased some new computers for a company that I work for. They have been starting to give problems where it takes about 5-10 minutes to boot up and get to the log-in screen. I have attached a link to the memory dump files if anybody can take a look. Thank you!...
  4. What is the common cause of a computer freezing and glitching?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the common cause of a computer freezing and glitching?: My computer has been freezing and glitching for I think about two months now. At first, it wasn't that severe, it was random and occurred only once when opening my computer. As time goes on, it worsens. It will sometimes freeze and glitch twice when my computer is open. I...
  5. What is the common cause of a computer freezing and glitching?

What is the common cause of a computer freezing and glitching?: My computer has been freezing and glitching for I think about two months now. At first, it wasn't that severe, it was random and occurred only once when opening my computer. As time goes on, it worsens. It will sometimes freeze and glitch twice when my computer is open. I...
  6. How to fix computer from freezing every time time I turn it on.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix computer from freezing every time time I turn it on.: Hello, I am on a Windows 11 with a Legion Computer and NVIDIA LG Monitor. My issue has been going on for a year and I've ignored it for a while because I didn't know how to fix it. Every time I start my computer, it freezes after a couple of seconds or minutes, and then, I...
  7. How to fix computer from freezing every time time I turn it on.

How to fix computer from freezing every time time I turn it on.: Hello, I am on a Windows 11 with a Legion Computer and NVIDIA LG Monitor. My issue has been going on for a year and I've ignored it for a while because I didn't know how to fix it. Every time I start my computer, it freezes after a couple of seconds or minutes, and then, I...
  8. Windows 11 Freezes with a new computer Same C Drive SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Freezes with a new computer Same C Drive SSD: Hi there, I was having computer freezes on my previous Windows 11 computer, so I upgraded everything except for the C Drive SSD and Video Card NVIDIA 4090. What is weird is that I can play some games and use windows at times with no issues but some instances it freezes...
  9. Windows 11 Freezes with a new computer Same C Drive SSD

Windows 11 Freezes with a new computer Same C Drive SSD: Hi there, I was having computer freezes on my previous Windows 11 computer, so I upgraded everything except for the C Drive SSD and Video Card NVIDIA 4090. What is weird is that I can play some games and use windows at times with no issues but some instances it freezes...
  10. Win 11 computer freezes, screen shows colored blocks of pixels.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 computer freezes, screen shows colored blocks of pixels.: The last few months, my computer has been crashing more frequently. It typically occurs when I run a game, but is now happening outside of games.Typically, the screen looks like there are an overlay of rainbow blocks of pixels. This is sometimes the full screen, but sometimes...