Windows 10: Computer goes black after a few minutes of inactive cursor then locks

Discus and support Computer goes black after a few minutes of inactive cursor then locks in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; No matter how many settings I changed, my computer still goes black after 1-2 minutes of cursor inactivity!!! It then locks and goes to the screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JM5419, Mar 2, 2021.

1. JM5419 Win User

Computer goes black after a few minutes of inactive cursor then locks

No matter how many settings I changed, my computer still goes black after 1-2 minutes of cursor inactivity!!! It then locks and goes to the screen asking me to unlock it.

I tried setting all "power and sleep settings" to never, I also tried going into "additional power settings" and set all of those to never, then went into "change advance power settings" and set "sleep after" to never, "system unattended sleep timeout" to 800 minutes, "hibernate after" to never, "turn off display after" to never, "console lock display off timeout" to 800 minutes.

Please help this is so frustrating!!!

:)

JM5419, Mar 2, 2021

2. Black screen appears after one minute of inactivity

Original title: Black screen

When my computer is inactive for one minute it goes to black. It continues to go to black every minute. I finally have to reenter my password after several minutes. I can not find where to change this setting that I did not set.

DONALD OUELLETTE 1942, Mar 2, 2021
  3. Windows 10 (sometimes) goes to sleep after only 2 minutes of inactivity

Hello Mark,

Your screensaver might be one of the possible reasons why your computer goes to sleep every time the computer is inactive. It is possible that the idle time is set every 2 minutes. Having said that, you can try adjusting the waiting time by following the
    steps below and see if it makes any difference:

• Go to Control Panel, click on Appearance and Personalization.
    • Select Personalization.
    • Click on Screen Saver at the bottom right.
    • Adjust the waiting time and hit Apply.

If the issue persists, we recommend trying the suggestions posted by Aleksandr 10 in this
    thread. Most of the Community users found his suggestions
    helpful.

Let us know if that worked out for you.

Michelle Vil, Mar 2, 2021
  4. Thanatica Win User

My computer locks itself after X minutes. How to stop that?

Since today, my pc locks itself after some amount on inactivity. Probably 10 or 15 minutes. Up until yesterday, this never happened.

I have checked:

1. Dynamic Lock. This is disabled.
    2. Screen saver. This is also disabled.
    3. Unattended sleep timeout in Power options. This is set to 120 minutes.
    4. In the same Power options, other sleep/standby options are set to Never.
    5. Machine inactivity limit in secpol.msc is Not Defined.

The Questions:

1. What, other than the above, can also cause this behaviour?
    2. Why does this behaviour pop itself up overnight?
    3. What do I do to fix it?

For those thinking I'm a novice user: I'm not. So contrary to what usually happens on these forums: no lecturing please. I just want this disabled. No need for long explanations, or fifteen steps on how to edit a registry value. Just a to-the-point solution
    please, if you have one.

Thanatica, Mar 2, 2021
Thema:

1. Computer goes black after a few minutes of inactive cursor then locks - Similar Threads - Computer goes black

2. Screen goes black after being idle for a few minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black after being idle for a few minutes: When i leave my laptop idle for some time the screen goes black as if it was turned off, the fans still make sound along with the keyboard backlight still working, pressing power button turns off the computer without saving any tasks that were previously running. This is...
  3. Screen goes black after being idle for a few minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen goes black after being idle for a few minutes: When i leave my laptop idle for some time the screen goes black as if it was turned off, the fans still make sound along with the keyboard backlight still working, pressing power button turns off the computer without saving any tasks that were previously running. This is...
  4. Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity: I just recently developed this issue where if I leave my monitor on a still image for a few seconds, it goes into hibernation. Normally that takes a few minutes. I have checked my power setting and sleep timers, those are fine. I tried the same monitor with two other devices...
  5. Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity: I just recently developed this issue where if I leave my monitor on a still image for a few seconds, it goes into hibernation. Normally that takes a few minutes. I have checked my power setting and sleep timers, those are fine. I tried the same monitor with two other devices...
  6. Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity

7. Screen invariably goes black after 1 minute of inactivity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen invariably goes black after 1 minute of inactivity: I use Windows 10 Home. After system update Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0 I find that desktop screen goes black after 1 min of inactivity, no matter what I specify in settings: 10 min, 30 min or 'never'....
  8. Screen invariably goes black after 1 minute of inactivity

Screen invariably goes black after 1 minute of inactivity: I use Windows 10 Home. After system update Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0 I find that desktop screen goes black after 1 min of inactivity, no matter what I specify in settings: 10 min, 30 min or 'never'....
  9. Screen invariably goes black after 1 minute of inactivity

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Random Reboots after a few minutes of inactivity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random Reboots after a few minutes of inactivity: Firstly - I do not know if this is a BSOD problem so apologies if I've posted incorrectly and please move my post in that case. I'm assuming it might be BSODs because sometimes we get a blue screen with unsmiley face (nothing like the data dumps that I used to see years ago),...