Windows 10: Computer goes black, unresponsive, while gaming but stays powered on.

Discus and support Computer goes black, unresponsive, while gaming but stays powered on. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I wanted to post on here, a forum I utilized, when encountering black screen/crashing issues I was having. the black screen issue seems to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ShawnMo5, Mar 29, 2021.

1. ShawnMo5 Win User

Computer goes black, unresponsive, while gaming but stays powered on.

I wanted to post on here, a forum I utilized, when encountering black screen/crashing issues I was having.

the black screen issue seems to be resolved after some minor changes which I will explain.

I have a rather odd set of circumstances that I will explain. I want to keep this clean, clear, and easy to navigate.

First, here are my specs:

1. I recently upgraded my PC components:

a. New SSD - Samsung MZ-V7S1T0B/AM 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB.

b. New CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core.

c. New Mobo - MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC LGA 1151 300 Series.

d. New CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition CPU Air Cooler

2. Older components still utilized in my build are:

a. GPU Nvidia geforce 970 - EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR 4GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+.

b. 750 W PSU - Hand me down from ~2016. Don't know exact spec.

c. 16 gb Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 2 x 8GB.

History:

Long story short, I vacuumed the exterior of my metal mesh computer case while the computer was on. Yes... I vacuumed my computer.... My computer instantly black screened. This is an extremely bad idea. Do not recommend. The computer turned back on but would crash randomly, whether I am checking emails for work or playing a highly, CPU and GPU intensive, video game. I feared I may have fried my newly added components to the computer and ruined something or everything. Nothing was overheating during use, it strictly appeared to be occurring randomly. I ran many stress test and would monitor task management during video games on my 2nd monitor. When a crash occurred, both monitors would go back, and audio would appear to glitch out, I could actually still hear my friends talking on discord. I would need to do a hard restart.

My resolution:

I powered off the machine the other day after 3 crashes within a short time span. I began to comb the internet for solutions and my attention was zeroing in on anything from, I destroyed my components, to PSU issues, to GPU issues. It was suggested on one site to do the basic check that all plugs were accounted for and fully plugged in. I just installed that new MOBO ~2-3 months ago, so this sounded within reason. I did notice that my GPU plug from the MOBO was ever-so-slightly not fully connected. I corrected this. I also read to remove and replace RAM sticks. I did this. Double checked all my connections and powered back on. it's been about 48 hours with no crashes. I've been playing games like Planetside 2, Rocket League, and Lord of the Rings Online and utilizing my computer for work per usual. These were all activities that would conjure a black screen crash and a hard restart. So far, no issues about 48 hours later.

I hope this helps some because it is a very frustrating situation I was researching for about a month or more. I had just thrown down a good chunk of change on new components and thought I would need to invest some more money in the immediate future. After my "researching" I was leaning towards a PSU replacement, possibly GPU which are a pain to get at the moment. Hopefully I have thwarted those efforts for now and only needed to do activities I listed above.

Let me know if you have any questions.

:)

ShawnMo5, Mar 29, 2021

2. Screen goes black if the power cord is connected

Hi Tony,

As the screen goes black I suggest you to refer the Microsoft article on
    Troubleshoot black screen problems and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

I also see that you are facing issues with the keyboard this might be due to the corruption of keyboard drivers. I suggest you to run the
    hardware and devices troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps for the same.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    • Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please get back to us with the information required, if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Mar 29, 2021
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Click on Shutdown, it doesn't shutdown, screen goes black and unresponsive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Run the
    Power troubleshooter

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with power. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Power.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Power
      troubleshooter.

Step 2: I suggest you to update drivers and check if that helps. If that issue persist please uninstall and reinstall latest drivers available in manufacturer website. Both Display
    driver and Audio drivers.

• Press “Windows + X” and select Device manger.
    • Select Display Adapter and expand the driver icon.
    • Right click on the driver icon and click on Update.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions to update the driver.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Mar 29, 2021
  4. Computer goes black, unresponsive, while gaming but stays powered on.

Computer powering-up but no display on the monitor? (Black Screen)

As I advised earlier:

If everything remains black I suggest that you get the hardware tested by a local, reputable Computer Tech.

Bill Smithers, Mar 29, 2021
Thema:

Computer goes black, unresponsive, while gaming but stays powered on.

1. Computer goes black, unresponsive, while gaming but stays powered on. - Similar Threads - Computer goes black

2. Computer goes black screen while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer goes black screen while gaming: I have been having this issue for the last couple of days, my computer usually works fine and this does not happen frequently, but i have tried multiple methods already and the issue still exists. Sometimes i can play the same game for hours without any issue sometimes it...
  3. Computer goes black screen while gaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer goes black screen while gaming: I have been having this issue for the last couple of days, my computer usually works fine and this does not happen frequently, but i have tried multiple methods already and the issue still exists. Sometimes i can play the same game for hours without any issue sometimes it...
  4. While gaming the screen goes black and the gpu fan start going at maximum power

in Windows 10 Gaming
    While gaming the screen goes black and the gpu fan start going at maximum power: Hello, I experienced this problem in the past but it happened just one time and no more, now it's back: sometimes during the last days while i was playing some games like rainbow six , rocket league and fortnite not heavy ones, games that my graphic card can easly handle , my...
  5. While gaming the screen goes black and the gpu fan start going at maximum power

While gaming the screen goes black and the gpu fan start going at maximum power: Hello, I experienced this problem in the past but it happened just one time and no more, now it's back: sometimes during the last days while i was playing some games like rainbow six , rocket league and fortnite not heavy ones, games that my graphic card can easly handle , my...
  6. Screen goes black immediately after log in but power stays on.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black immediately after log in but power stays on.: Hi. So I have a recently purchased Asus TUF A-15 Gaming laptop with Nvidia RTX 3050 and Ryzen 7 with pre-installed Windows 11. It was working fine until recently when I updated the windows. Following the update, the screen goes black immediately after login but power stays on...
  7. Screen goes black immediately after log in but power stays on.

Screen goes black immediately after log in but power stays on.: Hi. So I have a recently purchased Asus TUF A-15 Gaming laptop with Nvidia RTX 3050 and Ryzen 7 with pre-installed Windows 11. It was working fine until recently when I updated the windows. Following the update, the screen goes black immediately after login but power stays on...
  8. The Lockscreen stays Black and Unresponsive!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The Lockscreen stays Black and Unresponsive!!!: The lockscreen just stays black whenever this occurs : 1. Manual Locking (WIN + L) 2. Sign Out 3. After Successful Shutdown's If i force shutdown, and start it, lockscreen works fine. but it goes to black state after sign in. The things i tried to fix it!! 1. Graphics...
  9. Monitor screen goes black while gaming.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor screen goes black while gaming.: Yesterday i built my first gaming pc, and it seems like i've done everything right but when I launch games I get consistent blackscreens, especially with FreeSync enabled. My specs are: Ryzen 5 2600 ASRock B450m Pro4 mobo 2x8GB G. Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3000 (16ms CAS latency)...
  10. Old game goes black screen and unresponsive, but ok when windowed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old game goes black screen and unresponsive, but ok when windowed.: Yes, this is a known issue, but it seems to be different. I play this old game that's from 2003, but it's got a massive modding community still. It's called Street Legal Racing Redline. Anyhow, whenever I start it up in full screen, it freezes up on a black screen and becomes...